[quote] Loader (TinyBooter) version information:
4.3.6.0 on this computer.
4.2.11.1 on this device.

The Loader (TinyBooter) not up to date. <<<

Firmware (TinyCLR) version information:
4.3.6.0 on this computer.
4.3.6.0 on this device.

The Firmware (TinyCLR) is up to date. <<<
Please wait for the device to reboot… Done.
[/quote]
After Installing the SAM-BS v2.13 and grounding PA11, the device was found on COM3, which I entered when I started the update.bat from: C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.3 SDK\Firmwares\G400\Loader.
The output says, that the update is done, but it isn’t. Here is the LOG.TXT:

[quote]-I- Waiting …
-I- TCL platform : Windows NT
-I- SAM-BA 2.13 on : windows
-I- current connection is \USBserial\COM3, \USBserial\COM3 to be matched
-I- Retrieved arguments from command line :
-I- argv 0 : \USBserial\COM3
-I- argv 1 : at91sam9g15-ek
-I- argv 2 : Loader.tcl
-I- Connection \USBserial\COM3
-I- Connection : \USBserial\COM3 (target(comType) = 0)
-I- Board : at91sam9g15-ek
-I- Traces Level : 4
-I- target(handle) : 50268720
-I- sourcing board description file C:/Program Files (x86)/Atmel/sam-ba_2.12/sam-ba.exe/…/tcl_lib/at91sam9g15-ek/at91sam9g15-ek.tcl
Read device Chip ID at 0xFFFFF240 — get 0x819a05a1
-I- Found chip : at91sam9x25 (Chip ID : 0x819a05a1)
-I- Loading applet applet-lowlevelinit-sam9g15.bin at address 0x300000
-I- Memory Size : 0x0 bytes
-I- Buffer address : 0x4
-I- Buffer size: 0x0 bytes
-I- Applet initialization done
-I- Low level initialized
-I- External RAM Settings : extRamVdd=0, extRamType=1, extRamDataBusWidth=32, extDDRamModel=0
-I- External RAM Settings : extRamVdd=0, extRamType=1, extRamDataBusWidth=32, extDDRamModel=0
-I- Loading applet applet-extram-sam9g15.bin at address 0x300000
-I- Memory Size : 0x8000000 bytes
-I- Buffer address : 0x300B90
-I- External RAM initialized
-I- Command line mode : Execute script file : Loader.tcl
-I- Loading applet applet-extram-sam9g15.bin at address 0x300000
-I- Memory Size : 0x8000000 bytes
-I- Buffer address : 0x300B90
-I- DATAFLASH::Init 0 (trace level : 4)
-I- Loading applet applet-dataflash-sam9g15.bin at address 0x20000000
-E- Script File Loader.tcl returned error : Error Initializing DataFlash Applet (Can’t detect known device) - Error Initializing DataFlash Applet (Can’t detect known device)
while executing
“error “Error Initializing DataFlash Applet ($dummy_err)””
(procedure “DATAFLASH::Init” line 14)
invoked from within
“DATAFLASH::Init 0”
(file “Loader.tcl” line 11)
invoked from within
“source $scriptFile”[/quote]
Does somebody knows this problem. What do I have to change?

I did the same on a different computer with the same result, so obviously I’m doing something wrong.

Thanks for support!

@ bin-blank - Even though you used a second computer, just to be sure, I would uninstall everything related to our SDK then reinstall it and try again.

Exactly the same error I have. Also my colleague has (same G400-S but he is using his computer). We use my main board, not Raptor.

I uninstalled everything. Restarted computer. Installed again. Restarted computer again. Still problem.

Now I’m resoldering new module. Maybe it will help.

Make sure you uninstall the GHI driver and preferably the Atmel SAM-BA driver and choose the option to remove the files as well

And which driver should I use after reinstall? AT91 USB to Serial Converter from SAM-BA drv directory?

largely doesn’t matter - the generic Windows serial port driver should be sufficient to allow the comms to work

I have bad news for all those who has a problem described in this topic.

DEFECT IN HARDWARE - processor doesn’t talk to DATA FLASH. MOSI is silent (not ok) but CS and SCK are changing (looks ok). After short time whole SPI is silent (probably booting sequence stops trying talk to DATA FLASH).

CONCLUSION:

• Booting takes place (SPI active)
  • DATA FLASH MOSI is faulty (not soldered ball? fried pin? only my guesses)

MY INVESTIGATION

• I have another G400-S
  • I swapped DATA FLASHES
    ===> still same problem
  • I swapped whole modules (modules still have swapped DATA FLASHES)
    ===> now it is OK

TO GHI PERSONEL:

• Investigate the design
  • Maybe G400-S is too susceptible to ESD. Yet, I use ESD protection when soldering and still had a problem. But my colleague doesn’t when he writes software and test it :smiley:
  • Maybe not soldered ball.

If GHI want my faulty module I can send it for investigation. Of course on GHI cost :smiley: Shipment from Poland. On forum somebody with RAPTOR board wanted to return it for replacement. Maybe he/she is from USA :slight_smile: You would do a good deed for that fellow :slight_smile:

@ RagnarokPL - When you say you swapped the module and it started working, which specific module are you referring to? The entire G400-S?

I am having the same problem :frowning:

from the log:

-E- Script File Loader.tcl returned error : Error Initializing DataFlash Applet (Can’t detect known device) - Error Initializing DataFlash Applet (Can’t detect known device)
while executing
"error “Error Initializing DataFlash Applet ($dummy_err)”"
(procedure “DATAFLASH::Init” line 14)
invoked from within
"DATAFLASH::Init 0"
(file “Loader.tcl” line 11)
invoked from within
"source $scriptFile"

UPDATE: I was able to update the raptor, although i used the latest samba 2.14 and changed “update.bat” in order to use 2.14 I think the problem was that the PA11 remain shorted during the update process in my first attempt.

@ John
Hi, that is exactly what I already did. I reinstalled everything on the first computer. Afterwards I did a clean installation an a differnt computer which has never seen something from GHI before :).
Any other good Ideas?

Yes John, I swapped the entire G400-S.

[quote=“RagnarokPL”]MY INVESTIGATION

• I have another G400-S
  • I swapped DATA FLASHES
    ===> still same problem
  • I swapped whole modules (modules still have swapped DATA FLASHES)
    ===> now it is OK[/quote]

@ bin-blank - @ RagnarokPL

See entry #9. Maybe that helps

@ RobvanSchelven - I used SAM-BA 2.12 and 2.14 with same result - data flash error.

@ RagnarokPL - Did you keep PA11 shorted to ground only for a few seconds?

FYI i did not had any module connected to the raptor and i used a short USB cable between PC and Raptor, which both gave problems in the past.

@ RobvanSchelven
Thanks for reply. I tried and now the Loader is up to date (and afterwards I saw that it is part of the instruction). :clap:
(While the process no module was connecten.)
Thanks a lot.

1 Like

@ RobvanSchelven - I did everything according to manual, and yes, I grounded PA11 for few seconds. Notice that everything started to work after placing new module. This proves that the module was faulty. And don’t forget that I didn’t have MOSI signal on SPI to DataFlash.
Maybe there are few reasons of this error. In my case obviously it was faulty SPI.
In my case the topic is solved.

@ RagnarokPL - Great you got it working. Can you explain what you mean with “dataflash”?
Do you mean you have an external module with flash memory that connects to one of the SPI ports?

DataFlash is chip in SO8 package next to processor. It is AT45DB321D. Code is placed there. What is the construction of a microprocessor system?

1. processor (here at91sam9x35)
  2. RAM (here some micron RAM)
  3. storage memory with program (here AT45DB321D - our Data Flash :)).
    DataFlash - Wikipedia

@ All - I tried to update my raptor to 4.3.6.0 as well and with 2.12 or 2.14 samba, I got the same error :wall:

Any suggestions ?

No issues with updating the Hydra+ though …