RAPTOR Loader Update failed

@ PiWi - Just doublechecking. You are running cmd as administrator, right?

doesnā€™t look to me like itā€™s an elevated CMD prompt, noā€¦

Sorry, double checked on that already. Run as an administrator on the update.bat. I even had to run under administrator to be able to edit the line with the 2.12 in it. But Iā€™ll try again, just to be sureā€¦

are you sure the devices is mapped to com port 6 and the port is not in use by another application

Yep, watching the device manager and removing the usb connection removed the com6 as well. And after inserting with PA11 to ground got back the com6. Once that displayed in the device manager I removed the PA11 from ground connection.

But now thinking more about USB, wasnā€™t there something about using different USB ports on the PC ?

The one I used is, I belief a powered/USB3 connection. Iā€™ll try the USB 2.0 port, I remember something about that, whilst updating a board, but if that was the Raptor, donā€™t know, maybe i was the Cobra1 ā€¦ Iā€™m not in my lab at the moment, once I get there Iā€™ll try again ā€¦

Allmost all boards I have updated to the latest SDK (4.3.6.0) except the Cobra1 and those mini cerbs ā€¦

Thanks for the help, to all of you. Thatā€™s the beauty of this community, Iā€™m still amazed how much support this brings, kudos to all of you :clap:

I think that may be the problem. I believe you have to start cmd.exe as administrator and then navigate to the location of the update.bat file and run it from that elevated cmd session.

See how cmd window in the attached image shows ā€œAdministratorā€

1 Like

@ Architect - Yep, that did the trick, strange that the other boards didnā€™t complain ā€¦

Now the TinyClr update, I had to tweek all kinds of things to get it done, changing gadgeteer cable, use different USB port and finally it excepted my sorry excuse to get to 4.3.6.0 ā€¦

Now the software projects and see how they run ā€¦ first the basic ones ā€¦ RS21 ā€¦ and maybe just maybe the H/S works ā€¦ Iā€™m stubbern, you know and hardly read release notes ā€¦

Thanks for all the help ā€¦

So - I ran into this issue this morning - what turned out to be MY problem was a tiny missing item in the G400 manual - it says to ground PA11, then reboot. That went fine, my board came up on COM3.
The missing item in instructions: disconnect ground from PA11.

Once I did that, everything worked and I successfully updated tinybooter and then tinyCLR.
Earlier reply from RobvanSchelden clued me in to my problem.

ā€“Hugh

@ hhoover - Sorry it wasnā€™t in the manual.! As necessary, all docs (manual, brochures) have been updated.

Hi,

I have the same error reported by bin-blank on a G400-S.
Just to make it clear Iā€™m implementing this module on a production design, I have with me 3 boards with a G400-S on it, the first two updated well to latest firmware (4.3) but the third one crashed.
First connection to the PC was OK, grounded PA11, reboot, started Firmware updateā€¦nothing! hanging at step ā€œUpdatingā€¦ā€.

After half-an hour I disconnected the module, stopped cmd/samba.

Now when I reconnect this board the device appears directly with the COM port, no need to ground PA11. When I launch Update.bat, the first attempts crash instantly with log saying "(Canā€™t detect known device) ".

Close cmd, restart it, then it doesnā€™t stop immediately but hang in Updating state. Logs doesnā€™t seems to be usefulā€¦

(I can see 3 kind of test pointson the device, any chance we can reflash the module?)

Please GHI guys advise quickly coz if I have to bin a third of my production that will probably make me really angry and my company as well!

Kind regards

@ pidji87 - Did you try to restart the computer after you force closed the updater? When doing that the device can sometimes be disposed of improperly making it unusable until a restart.

Hi, it doesnā€™t make any difference, just the COM port changes from 42 to 44.
The strange things is the device booting in COM port even if I donā€™t ground PA11.

As I said before on the first attempt to update I got this error message:

then I try again and it stays in ā€œUpdatingā€¦ā€ nothing happen. I have to kill cmd/samba to close the windows.

Any suggestion?

@ pidji87 - It likely boots right into samba mode now because the chip is completely erased. Do you get the same log file now when you have to force kill the window? If so, can you uninstall everything related to our SDK, including the samba program (uninstaller found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\sam-ba_2.12\Uninstall.exe) and reinstall and see if that helps?

Iā€™ll try re-install everything but donā€™t really see yet how it will solve this issueā€¦

In the mean time to answer your question, when I have to force kill the window I get a log file like the first log I posted on this topic.

Doesnā€™t make any difference! Really you donā€™t know and donā€™t have any solution? Do you?

Hi Pidji87,

Seems like youā€™re having a hard time here, but it also seems like youā€™re perhaps a little frustrated and directing that to the GHI team. Just so you know, there have been a number of observed issues where the SAM-BA installer does not leave everything in a nice state, that leads to this kind of behaviour. That is why Johnā€™s suggestions are to remove SDKs and SAM-BA, and then reinstall from scratch.

Do you have access to another PC that you could test from? Anyone you know already have a Raptor and can assist ? I note from your profile that you havenā€™t named a location so I canā€™t check if youā€™re near to me where I could try to assist.

Hi Brett, Hi John,

Thank you for your kind reply, yes Iā€™m a little frustrated because at least Iā€™m not getting answers to my questions. I know Iā€™m going straight to the point, my apologies if somebody felt offended but this is the way I am. I have no time to loose recentlyā€¦

First of all yes I tried with another PC and I have the same resultā€¦

But here we have - I think - identified the issue, John wrote ā€œIt likely boots right into samba mode now because the chip is completely erasedā€, the only advice I got was reboot and re-install! I donā€™t really see how this could help the chip resetting in a ā€œnormalā€ state.

My questions are:
Is there any solution to re-flash the faulty chip?
Is there any other loader I can use?
I wrote I can see three kind of test points on the board, can we use them to reprogram?
How is the chip programmed in the first place, can we do the same again?

The G400-S is designed for ā€œPROā€, Iā€™m using it in a system already running with some customers, so Iā€™m expecting more than just reboot / re-install answer.

I have an issue, we face issues everyday, fine, that can happen, Iā€™m an engineer developing all kind of systems, this is something I understand but please give me more info.

I like GHI products, I reckon they saved me time in designing the new version of my product. I was even thinking sending them pictures of the G400 and G120 I use to display on the website. If youā€™re a little curious you can visit my website http://www.homeoset.fr go to Produit > Presentation there is a little video at the bottom, I design everything mechanical parts, electronic boards and software to run all.

Over the fact I have a technical issue, maybe you could think of a PRO support, a PRO forum for companies, that could certainly help developing your business.

Soā€¦ to conclude, please advise :wink: Iā€™m willing to help and willing to make my board work.
Cheers
PG

ok, so youā€™re obviously not the ā€œnewbieā€ your forum activity shows - thatā€™s great. And the guys at GHI I am sure are more than happy to hear your product stories, and will be able to assist - again they may have not understood your history and were hoping to cover off the basics first.

As far as the SAM-BA process works, thatā€™s something I canā€™t really comment more . I have seen this process work not-so-well, but I canā€™t suggest anything directly. I did personally have an issue with uploading to my Raptor, and actually used SAM-BA 2.14 not the 2.12 that comes with the SDK installer. I didnā€™t have any trouble installing the 2.14 in parallel to 2.12 and I just used it in the same way the script does, if you feel comfortable with tacking that as something worth a go until GHI come online (US timezones)

@ pidji87 - The chip getting erased is part of a normal update process since we do not have a GHI loader for the G400 yet. Once it is erased, the script we provided can be used to reload the firmware. I suggested reinstalling and rebooting because we have observed numerous issues with the samba program (made by the manufacturer of the chip we use, Atmel). When the update process does not complete cleanly, the program can become corrupted such that a reboot or reinstall is the only way to fix it. We use this same process to load the firmware on the device before shipping it out, we do not support any other method.

That said, if none of these steps fixed your issue and this was your first attempting updating and you got that canā€™t detect known device error in the log, it looks like the flash chip on the module is bad. If you wish, you can send it back to us for an RMA and if we confirm it is bad, we will replace it for you.

Hi,
Removed Sam-Ba 2.12
Installed Sam-Ba 2.15
Change Port com drivers to use CDC signed drivers found on Atmel website (atm6124_cdc_signed)
Reboot
Change the Update.bat to point to Sam-Ba 2.15
Run itā€¦
Same errors, same issue, same resultā€¦

Soā€¦ thank you for the RMA, but the G400-S is soldered on my board, obviously you could try your own update but I donā€™t see how youā€™ll be able to replace it? Will you be able to desolder it or desolder the atmel component?

In any case I donā€™t see what Iā€™ll be able to do with it, so I can send it over to you.

What do you wan to do?