Cannot update FEZ Raptor Bootloader to V2.04

I have a FEZ Raptor (Rev 1.0) that I haven’t previously updated for TinyCLR. I have followed the instructions:
http://docs.ghielectronics.com/hardware/legacy_products/gadgeteer/fez_raptor.html
http://docs.ghielectronics.com/hardware/products/scm/g400s.html
http://docs.ghielectronics.com/hardware/loaders/samba_bootloader.html

I have tried both SAM-BA versions 2.18 and 2.12.
I can enter the SAM-BA mode (SPI1_MISO pin to ground and reset the board) with Device Manager showing “Bossa Program Port”.
Everything proceeded as expected to “Under Scripts, select Enable Dataflash (SPI0 CS0) then click execute.” After clicking execute the SAM-BA application reports not responding and doesn’t return, even after a lengthy wait. The erase all has a warning about appearing to freeze, but I do not get to this step.
I have also tried modifying the previous .bat update, with similar results.

If I try and enter the bootloader (LDR0 while reseting) I do not get a connection in Device Manager.

(I have had success updating Spider (EMX), FEZ Cerb40 II, and FEZ Panda III to TinyCLR v0.8.0.)

Any suggestions?

From the log generated when using the Flash Bootloader.bat procedure:

-I- Waiting …
-I- TCL platform : Windows NT
-I- SAM-BA 2.18 on : windows
-I- current connection is \USBserial\COM6, \USBserial\COM6 to be matched
-I- Retrieved arguments from command line :
-I- argv 0 : \USBserial\COM6
-I- argv 1 : at91sam9g15-ek
-I- argv 2 : Bootloader.tcl
-I- Connection \USBserial\COM6
-I- Connection : \USBserial\COM6 (target(comType) = 0)
-I- Board : at91sam9g15-ek
-I- Traces Level : 4
-I- target(handle) : 47751832
-I- sourcing board description file C:/Program Files (x86)/Atmel/sam-ba_2.18/sam-ba.exe/…/tcl_lib/at91sam9g15-ek/at91sam9g15-ek.tcl
Read device Chip ID at 0xFFFFF240 — get 0x819a05a1
-I- Found chip : at91sam9x25 (Chip ID : 0x819a05a1)
-I- Loading applet applet-lowlevelinit-sam9g15.bin at address 0x300000
-I- Memory Size : 0x0 bytes
-I- Buffer address : 0x4
-I- Buffer size: 0x0 bytes
-I- Applet initialization done
-I- Low level initialized
-I- External RAM Settings : extRamVdd=0, extRamType=1, extRamDataBusWidth=32, extDDRamModel=0
-I- External RAM Settings : extRamVdd=0, extRamType=1, extRamDataBusWidth=32, extDDRamModel=0
-I- Loading applet applet-extram-sam9g15.bin at address 0x300000
-I- Memory Size : 0x8000000 bytes
-I- Buffer address : 0x300B90
-I- External RAM initialized
-I- Command line mode : Execute script file : Bootloader.tcl
-I- Loading applet applet-extram-sam9g15.bin at address 0x300000
-I- Memory Size : 0x8000000 bytes
-I- Buffer address : 0x300B90
-I- DATAFLASH::Init 0 (trace level : 4)
-I- Loading applet applet-dataflash-sam9g15.bin at address 0x20000000

I also found:

in the archive, which reported a similar issue at the “DATAFLASH::Init 0” stage.
This suggested a hardware fault. I tried the other suggestions in the post with no success. The Raptor I am trying to update has never been used and so there has been no previous attempts to update.

“Loading applet applet-dataflash-sam9g15.bin at address 0x20000000” - the address looks very high compared to the other loads, but is what is in the installed files (default).

I successfully updated the bootloader on my other Raptor board a number of months ago and was a simple firmware update to v0.8.0 today (successful).

One easy way to check is to reload the bootloader on your other FEZ Raptor. If it loads fine then it does seem to be a hardware failure on the first Raptor.

To verify, the UI freezes when clicking enable dataflash, not erase all?

• I reloaded the bootloader on my other FEZ Raptor and it all worked as per the instructions. v0.8 firmware also loaded successfully.
  • The UI freezes on the problematic FEZ Raptor when clicking / executing the Enable Dataflash script.

After the success on my other FEZ Raptor I tried again on the problematic FEZ Raptor and the UI again froze at the Enable Dataflash script. Screen capture below.

I note that in the successful re-load there is a lot more -I information and does not freeze.

It seems something may have gone bad on that board then unfortunately. If you want to look into it more, I’d connect an analyzer to the SPI bus to see if there’s any data coming back from the module. Also make sure MOSI, MISO, and SCK aren’t being improperly forced, or shorted, low or high.

Have you tried just using the G400 Bootloader_installer from command line?
I just did my Rapter v1.0 yesterday and worked ok, where had no luck with SAM-BA v2.12

Open command Prompt and copy the “G400 Bootloader v2.0.4.bin” to the fodler and edit the Bootloader.tcl file to reference the new .bin file
“GENERIC::SendFile “G400 Bootloader v2.0.4.bin” 0x0 1”
Short pin 8 to GRD, remove after 3 seconds

After running the .bat, be patient, as it does take >30 seconds to flash

ps: Location of file for anyone looking for old site files

http://old.ghielectronics.com/downloads/NETMF/

Capture

After uploading v0.8 firmware and running it

Capture

Posted this for other peoples reference, as the G400 is a bit different to update and I think there is less info on site about how this is done, know I spent hours with my first G400