GHI's holiday gift to you

@ iamin - Then that won’t be µFramework; you might as well use full Mono.

I’ve thought of that before too but decided that sub 500Mhz is ideal for NETMF and for more powerful stuff I now use a 1Ghz Dual Core A20 processor and run Android on it. With access to the source I am able to add all the additional drivers and IO that I need. It’s been pretty solid so far as it only runs a single app all the time.

I’ll still use NETMF and GHI for other smaller and less complicated systems and this doesn’t mean it can’t be used for complex, as many have, it’s just my way of working. :slight_smile:

A 700 MHz Pi with Linux and Mono would be an order of magnitude faster than a 1 GHz NETMF board, and would support a lot more of .NET (generics, anyone?), while simultaneously costing 1/10 as much (especially given what you get built-in, i.e. audio, video, ethernet, USB).

@ Mr. John Smith - Think out of the box. If 15 years ago someone would ask to have a mobile phone with 2+ Ghz CPU, 3 GB of RAM and 128 GB HDD, I bet you would say something like this: “It is a supercomputer you are asking, not a mobile phone”.

@ godefroiKing - I wouldn’t be so sure about the big speed differences. The last time I have checked, Mono on Pi was slow. I would like to see a speed comparison of the same C# code running on Pi and G400. Would anyone be willing to do that?

I will not withdraw my wish - I still want to see a faster Gadgeteer mainboard.

The G400 is plenty fast for me. I’d like it to be cheaper, smaller and lower power though.

@ andre.m - That test does not tell much. It is not running on Pi. Pi could be faster compared to G400, but I really doubt that it could be 10+ times faster as godefroi suggests.

Depends on what you’re doing. An order of magnitude is a conservative estimate in the general case. Toggle a GPIO in a tight loop, however (for example), and native code will be hundreds or thousands of times faster.

Also note that the benchmark referenced above is coming up on a decade old.

@ iamin - I’m saying what would be the point of using µFramework. With all the resource capabilities of those larger devices, then you could use the full .net (mono) framework.

I for one would love to see ASP.NET with Visual Studio remote debugger running on a rasberry pi (or Intel G). Now that M$ has open sourced the server side of the .NET Framework.

Just as we don’t call the big guy around here “Gu$”, there’s no need to be disrespectful of anyone else. It reflects badly on us as a community.

2 Likes

Really? Are you serious? So what is next - a ban on saying anything bad about M$ because “it reflects badly on us as a community”? Nothing personal, but that is B$.

3 Likes

How is that more disrespectful than calling somebody on this forum “ignorant”?

https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=17108&page=2#msg170309

2 Likes

Some of us work for, or have worked for, Microsoft (myself included)

Using “M$” just seem childish - so I would tend to agree that it reflects badly on us.

I’m a newbie here though, so my opinion doesn’t mean much.

1 Like

[quote=“mtylerjr”]
Using “M$” just seem childish - so I would tend to agree that it reflects badly on us.[/quote]

To you it looks childish, to me it looks like another way of saying it. I don’t want you or anybody else to tell me how to call its holiness Microsoft. Thank you.

1 Like

I was confused about the problem for a bit but now I understand. Someone doesn’t like me using the term M$, because they think it’s disrespectful! Sorry I didn’t know that. I just thought is was more respectful: e.g. MS = M$ = Microsoft Makes the Dollars!

However if I say Crapple just know I’m being disrespectful to Apple Inc.; I don’t like them.

Aw found it: [url]http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=M%24[/url]

Very well, apologies to anyone who was offended. I’ll remember to not use it in the future :-[

1 Like

No worries :slight_smile:

1 Like

And welcome to the forum mtylerjr

@ Gus, what do you want for Christmas?

2 Likes

By the way - what is the fallback X-mas gift from GHI to the community ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

[quote=“iamin”]

You can continue to use it, but it makes people take your comments in a certain light, with a strong bias against Microsoft, and likely to twist facts to suit that bias.

No one is banning the term “M$” but at the same time, most of us here (including those of us who work at MS, MSFT, Microsoft) would consider it petty at best.

And yes, I do think it reflects badly on a community if that term gets commonly used. I’ve seen it happen before. I’ve seen folks write off otherwise legitimate feedback because it’s presented using terms like that that immediately turn the conversation combative. Communicating effectively with others means using terms not designed to offend or to shut down a conversation. It’s the adult thing to do.

It also makes it seem like other companies, in comparison, aren’t trying to make money or please shareholders. Most folks understand that ALL publicly-held companies have a duty to shareholders as well as to customers.

My unofficial 2 cents.

Pete

2 Likes

I think the best present for all of us would be a complete recovery for @ Gary. Between the help he gives the community directly, and the fun of watching him interact with Gus (not to mention his picture posting skills), I can think of no better gift than to know he’s 100%.

;D

8 Likes