GHI is installing a complete production line

Yes, that is great news. Let us know what kind of design files you need for the laser cutter and CNC. Is there an easy way to export a module’s cut shape from Eagle? I’m guessing yes, but if not, I would be happy to manually create a batch of templates.

Can we do the Flipbook Maker enclosure as a first test laser cutter project, once you get your toys up and running? Architect sent me the link for the design file, however, it was made for 6mm acrylic, which was (fortunately) not available at Ponoko, or I would have ordered a couple already! I’ll have to tweak it based on whatever size acrylic we go with. Speaking of which, have you thought about sourcing enclosure materials?

Enough questions for now… get ready for more though.

ahhh acrylic. We ordered too many samples. We need to select a good source for volume ordering. The first couple months will be more toying around trying to figure out acrylic, colors, thicknesses…etc.

What Laser and CNC did you end up ordering?

That is a secret :o

I’m hoping you invested in a good ventilation system…CNC, laser cutter, and acrylic sounds like a recipe for lots of fun toxic vapors. Then again, I guess PCB fab probably has more than its share of that, too. :slight_smile:

A secret?!? Now I’m convinced you’re trying to drive us nuts! :wall:

I’m convinced that the Gus bot has become so efficient that he no longer builds things and then announces them. He now announces things, sees how the community reacts, and then builds them :wink: Has anyone actually seen a Cerberos anywhere??? :think:

I have had it on my desk for over although now :slight_smile: but I yes I listen to feedback. You guys ate the ones that make products not me :wink:

Do not dare me, I would post a picture lol

Gus is on the iPhone again… :smiley:

Double dog [head] dare ya!

I hope you guys are not eating the devices lol. That is funny.

@ ian

Great minds think alike (and so do ours). That’s pretty much exactly the response I was thinking about sending to Gus, but I was going to add that he really needs to get a new phone, or at the very least stop accusing us of being cannibals…LOL! :slight_smile:

:smiley:

I bet with a couple phone calls (from a Windows phone, of course) that you could have a decent phone sent to Gus… :wink:

Sorry, I love my iPhone. I have had it since first iPhone and been upgrading with newer iPhone. I am not saying others are bad since I didn’t try them and do I do not know. I am just really happy, besides when the phone decides to accuse people of eating products!

I understand. Well, not really. I personally think the iTunes software is the biggest piece of junk ever created… Therefore, I won’t use any device that requires me to use it. But, I do understand the commitment. I was a loyal Pocket PC / Windows 5/6 phone user since it was created. Such a shame it took so long for Microsoft to finally figure it out. I’m a happy Android user now. Although I’ll be giving Windows Phone a good look once my contract expires & Win8 is available. IF the nations biggest software maker and the nations biggest mobile phone network can ever get along… :wink:

Got the acrylic samples for the new laser and CNC machines.

Look at all these cool colors.

The color ones have solid, transparent and even mirror options!

Nice! What thickness are these? 3mm (~1/8" ) seems to be the most common, i.e. easy to get with lots of variety. Engraving a design into the mirror coating and backlighting with some LEDs makes for a sweet sci-fi looking enclosure!

OMG! I thought mirrors were useless for our use till I saw this. Can you imagine how much you can do with this? Thanks for the idea :slight_smile: It is not about mirror but more about transparent vs solid. Now, I am not sure how would the laser like the mirror coating so we will have to try it.

Be careful pointing a laser at a mirror! The beam will be reflected and you will have a ricochet problem.

You could engrave from the reverse side of the mirror.

A request for the new production line…

It would nice to have the option to buy boards without the headers installed. This would allow for hardwiring external devices directly to the board. Makes “production” device wiring easier.

To clarify - if you laser engrave the backside of the mirror coating, which is not reflective, it removes the coating. Not sure what this coating is made of, but I’m sure you invested in a good filtering/ventilation system to take care of any nasty vapors.

I really think there is a market in personalized custom modded enclosures. Think of what happened in the auto industry. Why get a plain square box, when you can go with color, add flames, and make it look like a glowing space ship 8)

+1 on the boards without headers.