Cerb40 Prototyping module layout suggestions

Sorry, I can’t use this one as is (I have soldered pins differently on mine). :frowning:
Also, I will add gadgeteer sockets on mine revision.

Boy, I hope it works! :o

You might want to go over everything before you submit it.

I’d be up for one if they work :slight_smile:

I’ve uploaded the latest design to the wiki:

I ought to work out the BOM, too. Gimme a second.

So, I’m the guinea pig, huh? Hmm… how about I slow down and catch the next batch. That will give me time to review it thoroughly ::slight_smile: I can add a surprise silkscreen to the back, too… heh, heh.

The good thing is that Laen has enough volume to run panels every day now. So it is not like you need to wait another week.

I have not paid attention to the dates. No wonder he’s behind on email responses! I did notice he mentioned being almost out of the shiny purple mailers :frowning:

All I can say is that I’m one for one on PCBs so far. My OneWire board works GREAT!

This one’s a LOT more complex, however, both in layout and function.

He was out for training for a weak.

@ godefroi - mind if I go 0805 on the caps? I already have a bunch. Also, what are the concentric circles on the top right of the cerb pinout? near PC_ANA pin group. Is that outer rectangle which intersects these circles for the ZIF socket? My first pass on the pins looks good, but I want to stare at it a bit more with the cerb40 in my hand.

If you have time this weekend, maybe we could do a quick G+ or other online mtg to go over the design? I’m in EST.

Sure, you can go 0805, hopefully my tired eyes can solder them on :wink:

The concentric rings are the rough outline of where the handle for the ZIF socket is. The large rectangle is indeed the outline for the ZIF socket. That thing is LARGE.

If you’d like to discuss in-person, I’d be glad to this weekend. Can’t be tonight, though, I’m on my way out with the wife. I’m in MST.

Just got my ZIF socket, the Cerb40 module fits into it like it was make for it!

All my parts have now arrived, just need the board :slight_smile:

Boards are being fabbed! Got my parts, but need a ZIF. I did get a bunch of DIP40 sockets that work quite nicely for a semi-permanent install. I used one of these Adafruit Perma-Proto Half-sized Breadboard PCB - 3 Pack! : ID 571 : $12.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits to make a simple breakout.

@ Brett - there’s a board for you, as well.

All - I’ll probably do a bigger order with Laen and make some kits, which would include parts for the Cerb40 and the parts for the board. I could also be convinced to do an assembled (SM?) board if there was enough interest from those not so keen on soldering.

I’m just catching up to this thread. :frowning: Definitely put me down for one if you place another order.

Don’t be sad, be glad… your fellow fezzers are here to help.

I think I mentioned this before, but I’ll do it again for those that didn’t see.

The ZIF sockets are quite expensive from most supply houses. SparkFun, however, has them for $4 (plus shipping) here: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9176

The picture I posted has the module in the SparkFun ZIF socket. I can’t vouch for the quality, but I CAN say with confidence that it works.

@ godefroi - Is that the same one you used in your last pic? If not, where did your sexy red one come from?

Yup. The pictures on SparkFun show blue, but mine showed up red. They’re 3M sockets.

The first prototype boards are here!