Cerb40 Prototyping module layout suggestions

Few suggestions. Can you please add the following optional components:

• coin battery
  • button for reset
  • button for loader
  • power led

I personally like the fact that the Cerb40 is as small as possible. With the trough-hole design you can easily make your own support PCB with buttons, battery holders, LEDs, Motor drivers, and even a display if you like. You should even be able to make that support board yourself either from a proto-pcb or etching your own design.

Just my alternate opinion on this…

@ Xykon - that’s what we are discussing - a “dev board” design for the Cerb40. See the first pass at a layout posted earlier.

Yes, my suggestions are for the cerb40 “motherboard”.

Sorry I missed that :frowning: I’ll take it all back! :-[

Now I’ll stop commenting on postings that I haven’t fully read ::slight_smile:

Loader and Reset buttons are there. I considered a power LED, and I think it’s a fine idea. I considered a coin cell, and I think maybe I’ll do it (however, how do we mount such a cell without taking up few dollars worth of PCB space)?

Bottom of the board?

What size on the coin cell? I like the small 12mm ones like this http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10592 , but the ‘standard’ seems to be 20mm. I have this (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10495) 24.5mm breakout beast that I can quickly add to any board, but it does end up being a too big in some cases. Rechargeable is nice, though. I haven’t found any smaller rechargeable coin cells.

Here’s the layout with a 12mm coin cell on the back. There’s a jumper block that lets you switch between the coin cell and the regulated 3v3 net for VBAT (or nothing…).

Nice!

Double Nice! What’s left to tweak? Is she ready for a maiden voyage to our favorite fab service? My add-on parts are arriving today, so I’m ready to sail this ship whenever she is officially christened!

Pins on mine cerb40 are soldered from the other side, so I’ll have to do a different version for mine. :o

Only thing I have left to do is put on some meaningful silkscreen.

I’d like opinions on this silkscreen strategy for the VBAT source. Is this clear?

Do you have room to turn the text sideways and have the two rectangles side by side? with the dividing line right in the middle of the center pin… would be a little easier to understand IMO. Looks like the via may need to be moved a bit to accommodate that.

Or something like this:

OK, how’s this for a final layout?

ransomhall, I assume you’re in for one, it’ll be $5 or $6 for the bare board, if you’re willing to sponsor the run.

Anyone else interested?

I’m assuming you mean order from Laen? I’m definitely good for setting you up with a couple on the house. Your efforts are appreciated! I’m also happy to make a few available to the community as a kit. I think I’ve got enough parts on hand to do about 6-8 for “early adopters”. I can do a medium run batch (~150 sq. in.) with a few weeks advanced notice. This latter batch could be a kit or assembled, or both.

GHI might want to do a run of these, as well. Gus?

I think we’d better make sure everything fits before we have too many boards produced. If you’re good with the design as-is, would you like to submit to Laen, or should I? I think you already have an order going on this panel? :wink:

Yes, I might catch it with the time diff. Email the file. Does 2 sets of three sound good? Two each for Architect, you, and me.