Cerb40 Prototyping module layout suggestions

In the Cerberus/Cerb40 announcement thread, I said I’d put together a prototyping module for the Cerb40 with a power supply, pin headers, and a couple switches (reset and LDR), and a ZIF or DIP socket for the module.

The question is, is it more convenient to lay the headers out in a DIP arrangement similar to Cerb40, or to group them into separate logical groups according to alternate functions?

The groups would be things like UART2, UART3, SPI1, I2C, CAN1, SD, etc.

Opinions?

How about both? For the group layout I would use Gadgeteer socket compatible layout and ability to choose what group goes to what socket. Similar to Duino proto.

+1 for both with the socket layout similar to the DuinoProto as Architect suggests. I think 4 of the sockets is enough, although we could go with 7 and have a one to one match with the other Cerberus board (no power socket). The overall size of this proto board is not important, other than fab cost.

So, you’re suggesting that I lay the pins out in logical groups, and then place several Gadgeteer “socket” footprints with associated female pin headers that can be used to wire certain Cerb40 pins into certain sockets?

It’d be convenient if I knew what Cerb40 pins were wired into which Cerberus sockets, so I could just lay them out directly, and also lay out additional female pin headers for non-Gadgeteer prototyping.

Or… just add the add several socket footprints with breakouts for each pin, like the duinoproto has. Add more breakouts for the dip40 pins and leave the wiring up to the user. I like being able to use the type of header I need (male/female/right angle) for all breakouts. I would vote against any kind of onboard proto area to keep board size/cost down. I would also vote for the zif socket.

Make sense?

Thanks for digging into this idea so quickly. Ordered a couple cerb40s today!

@ godefroi

Pretty much.I will try to layout my interpretation tonight.

Why not Arduino/PandaII shield connectors :smiley:

@ barbudor - does the smiley mean you’re not serious?

If you are (serious), check out http://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/319 . This will let you use any gadgeteer module with an arduino pinout compatible board. I have quite successfully.

Soapbox: it seems that a lot of forum members don’t realize that you can have it both ways with eBlocks and Gadgeteer modules. All are usable on any FEZ board with some effort. A little soldering, some code cut and paste… and voila!

Wait, did I just volunteer myself to do a Wiki on the topic? ::slight_smile:

Removed by admins.

Removed by admins.

Deleted, wrong topic :-[

@ ransomhall

You mean like this one (just needs the eblock info added)?

A good start! Thanks for pointing that out - had not seen it yet.

Here’s my current direction. I’d still like to get some Gadgeteer sockets on this thing, but I can’t do that until design files for the Cerberus are released.

There’s RESET and LODR switches, a power supply (linear), and all the signals broken out into groups.

This will be great for a firmware updater and/or test rig.

Why add gadgeteer sockets? That’s what the other Cerberus is for. Breaking up the signal headers is in the “nice to have” category, but also not a requirement IMO.

Care to share these files as is? Thanks for the effort!

If you’re going to break out the pins that way, why not just go ahead and lay them out in Arduino format? :wink:

@ godefroi

Looking good!

Arduino format would require a whole separate board space. I once calculated the cost of a Panda II-sized shield at something like $15 at DorkbotPDX just for the board itself. on top of that (for this project) you’d need more space for the ZIF socket and power supply.

Plus, the Arduino format is an abomination, IMNSHO :wink:

Yea. I wasn’t really suggesting it… But, you’re almost there if you just make the board bigger. You know someone will do it eventually :slight_smile:

I’ve created a wiki page for the platform. I’ve posted the design files there, and I’d love for anyone to make suggestions or changes.

The priorities (for me) are board size (smaller is better) and cost (board size is the main contributor here).

Note that the files are in KiCad. After Laen’s interview, I decided to give KiCad another shot (plus Eagle 6 is BUGGY), and I thought this was the perfect little project to use it for. I apologize if that makes it less accessible to anyone.