Brace yourself - Verdant is coming

@ mcalsyn - What !!! Yellow :hand: :naughty: :snooty:

1 Like

@ ransomhall - I agree, I want to send my data to my company’s azure services, not the vendor’s.

2 Likes

@ Justin - What are we going to plug into that white rectangular receptacle?, and have you shipped mine yet? :slight_smile:

Orac plugs into the iWRR™
The iWRR™ will start appearing on lots of boards :wink:
Bribes get you higher on the shipping list :smiley:

[quote=“njbuch”]
BTW your concept reminds me of the Kickstarter fraud a few years ago on SmartDuino

[url]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fairduino/smartduino-open-system-by-former-arduinos-manufact[/url]
[/quote]]

Lucky only prototypes are in yellow :clap:

@ Justin - Can you let me know your Swiss bank account number so I can book my gift … :whistle:

Silly me - thought you already had the collective’s account number - CH93 0076 2011 6238 5295 7

I feel the same way. So, the vast majority of the code will be available in Github. You should be able to provision your own cloud service instances in Azure; flash your own versions of the device code; and side-load your own versions of the mobile apps onto mobile devices. So this will be a completely hackable platform - you will be able to modify and host your own device code, mobile code, and cloud code.

Now, I am counting on some folks not wanting to do that, and that may make for some subscription income, but unlike most cloud services, you will have a well supported option for rolling your own versions of pretty much everything. Only certain security keys and perhaps some back-end machine learning assets and premium features are candidates to be exceptions to that policy at this point.

I’m also toying with a plan that would allow you to provision Azure cloud storage for your data, and just use our back-end services. So the raw data stays with you, and you can pull the plug any time. Those services would access your data directly from within the same data center (no ingress or egress charges), but our services would not maintain a copy of your data. In this fashion, you can decide how much data to store; you have full access to your data; you can augment, obfuscate or anonimize some dimensions of your data; and you have the ability to pull the plug at any time; but we retain some value in the algorithms and services. Would this be an interesting option for anyone?

4 Likes

I think that would be a great and popular option for the more paranoid type of user.

BTW, Azure means sky blue. If you use Verdant (grass green) and Azure (sky blue) together, you are going to get the windows XP background. (But this is my last comment on that subject. Promise)

Hmm, do you have a link :think:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/1775014-2/A118067CT-ND/4729837

1 Like

Definitely. I’m most happy when I have total control of my data :slight_smile: Also, I’m happy to pay for value added services that I don’t have the time or expertise to spin up. I don’t see most people interested in this product wanting to become IoT experts (digging into the implementation details). People on this forum are the exception. The most value comes in applying this tech to some problem domain where an individual or company is the SME.

@ mcalsyn -

Yes, as long as I have my data, your services working over it will be fine. I think that will definitely add value.

@ ransomhall & @ terrence - exactly. The design that I’m considering would mean that, if you choose, then there would be no persistent record of your data or byproducts of your data stored outside the boundaries of your store, and we would only access that data to do processing, the result of which is again pushed into your store. That would be an option of course - as you mention, there is some significant cross section of folks that would prefer just not to worry about provisioning their own data store, and instead we would build suitably secure storage for those (more consumer, and less ‘maker’/techie) cases.

@ mcalsyn -

[quote]There’s no way that this hardware or these software concepts can be considered a final version of anything (none of it exists as much more than ideas today) but Justin’s boards (and quite a few you haven’t seen yet) will form a collection of reference designs upon which we can build the device, mobile, web, and cloud services that will allow us to begin experimenting with the concept. If we’re successful in this initial part, you will be able to acquire his hardware and other related and supported hardware and self-host the Verdant hardware/software ecosystem, and participate in the evolution of this idea.
[/quote]

I NEED more information!! Your project has got my mind spinning and the only thread I want to read now, is THIS thread.

I definitely want to:

participate in the evolution of this idea.

More posts if you have time.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like we need a Beta tester list…

Gary…a list if you please…And a wad of G30’s to boot :wink:

My lists are for those for which I seek revenge upon for some perceived wrong doing to me or GHI!

Good enough? ::slight_smile:

You are now on so many lists that I can even “list” them!
:whistle:

Well, right now there’s a LOT of yak shaving to do, so feel free to jump in. At the moment, I am working on “Verdant Vines” - a communication abstraction over BLE, XBee Series 2 and RF Pipe. There’s a lot of work there to do on the underlying hardware drivers, messaging protocol (Verdant Grapevine), an onboarding/offboarding protocol, security, etc. That will then feed into an AllJoyn Device Bridge Service (something that allows down-level hardware to participate as full AllJoyn citizens, without actually running AllJoyn code). That will allow us to do AllJoyn without waiting for 4.4 firmware and we can consider a move to AllJoyn Tiny Core down the road.

Once the Vines work is done, we can build ‘outward’ from there. That is, upward from the DBS’s AllJoyn side and into the yet-to-be-created cloud services; and downward from the Vines protocol into new Orac G30-based devices for individual sensor and actuator nodes. There’s also plenty of work to do on Orac code; on Control Points (ref platform: G120E dev board); on Hub/Gateway/DBS device (ref platform: RPi); on cloud services and web content; and I even have some devious plans to use a NetTV devices to do HDMI overlays for announcements and UI on a TV via AllJoyn.

That’s a ton of Big Ideas, and no small amount of hand waving, but, as I said, I am currently focused on Vines, which is on Github along with the rest of Verdant (Verdant Automation · GitHub). Most of those projects are empty and most of the work so far has been design work and just framing in project structure.

I do think people will get fairly immediate value out of Verdant Vines, even just for the drivers (BLE113, RF pipe, XBee, and wifi, and the Grapevine messaging protocol), which you will be able to use individually or as a stack.

Shoot me a DM with a direct email addr and I will get a discussion list set up … somewhere … somehow … and I’ll email to discuss ways we can collaborate.

4 Likes