Brace yourself - Verdant is coming

@ Architect - ta - numbers updated

You should wait - you havenā€™t seen the stretch goal :wink:

Lots of Univ of Tennessee fans here today. I remember now why I love this this forum! Can you do orange and white checkered?

1 Like

Orange is the new black, you know. I vote for Orange.

Or Green. Such underrated.

So my real vote however is BLUE. Then the carrier can be in Yellow.

Stretch goal isā€¦

Gary Glitterā„¢

I think youā€™re thinking of stretch lycra there ?

1 Like

lol

MY EYESā€¦THE GOGGLES, THEY DO NOTHING!!!

@ mcalsyn - Please tell us a little more what these little boards will be doing for us? What, where, when, why. We need to know!

Off to manufacture they goā€¦

Orac G30
16mm x 16mm
G30 uC
RTC xtal
8mb External Flash

Orac carrier
27mm x 22mm
3v3 Vreg
Orac pins broken out to 0.1in headers

@ terremce

[ol]As above
Middle Earth
4 days
Why not :D[/ol]

1 Like

Justin, are you old enough to associate your idea with this?

@ Dave McLaughlin - Yup and man enough to say I had a boyhood crush for Servalan :whistle:

1 Like

Didnā€™t we allā€¦ :slight_smile:

Doesnā€™t the word ā€˜verdantā€™ literally mean ā€˜greenā€™?

Another color would be like having a blue ā€œorangeā€.

1 Like

@ mtylerjr - there are many colours in nature and not just green ::slight_smile:

The PR department can give you the full story behind the brandā€¦

But on another more serious noteā€¦your a Cantabrian nowā€¦ so get your spelding right :smiley:

Verdant is typically associated with ā€œgreenā€, but also lushness, richness and fullness. Green is more than a color, though, and more recently exists as a concept of ecological and environmental responsibility.

So, this whole idea is all pretty germinal (does that count as a pun?) and barely even counts as germinal, but the idea is to combine three concepts : a) A pervasive and widely distributed sensor/actuator/controller network, b) automation that engages in new ways to reduce total consumption footprint, c) automation that engages with us socially in a productive yet non-invasive fashion (i.e., ā€œall good infrastructure is invisibleā€).

So what are these boards for? Hopefully, they will grow to become a very rich collection of sensor, actuator, and control-point nodes with a minimal physical and electrical footprint, which act together with certain cloud resources to provide highly integrated, useful, and unobtrusive automation functionality in homes, autos, and business places.

Thereā€™s no way that this hardware or these software concepts can be considered a final version of anything (none of it exists as much more than ideas today) but Justinā€™s boards (and quite a few you havenā€™t seen yet) will form a collection of reference designs upon which we can build the device, mobile, web, and cloud services that will allow us to begin experimenting with the concept. If weā€™re successful in this initial part, you will be able to acquire his hardware and other related and supported hardware and self-host the Verdant hardware/software ecosystem, and participate in the evolution of this idea.

And, frankly, if that all sounds too lofty for you, youā€™ll still be able to grab the boards and do your own interesting stuff with a very nice G30-based device ecosystem.

Thatā€™s because is comes from the french ā€œverdeā€ (green) which comes from the Latin ā€œviridusā€ (green)

Even the middle english word for green was ā€œvertā€

But I get it. I wont let any asperger-esque arguments take over. You can have multicolored green things. :smiley:

Now weā€™re talking! Iā€™ve never been a big fan of IoT model where the device is tied directly to the manufacturerā€™s dev/data collecting website.

2 Likes

BTW your concept reminds me of the Kickstarter fraud a few years ago on SmartDuino

[url]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fairduino/smartduino-open-system-by-former-arduinos-manufact[/url]

Ok, well, Iā€™ll take that the best way possible I guessā€¦ Which I guess is to say that yes, the boards are yellow.