Windows Developer Program for IoT

@ njbuch - Do you think the board will be something that more or less mimic an Arduino? If yes and if they can manage so support most of the popular Arduino shields and on top if have have good debugging and a good IDE like Visual Studio, then this may become very popular. Those are the two things that Arduino really lacks compared to NETMF.

As I understand this is the board: Self-Help Resources for Maker & Innovator Products

And this is the shield that would give sockets: https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/445

Now we just need some softwareā€¦

@ njbuch - we already wrote the software. And it is open source, the one used on medusa.

3 Likes

So then itā€™s just a port based on whatever Microsoft does with this SDK they are planning to release.

It looks more promising now at leastā€¦ Not sure how to attack it though ā€¦

If the board is running Win 8 core (as its x86 based), then Iā€™m not sure Arduino classes will do the trick.

Guessing thereā€™ll be some libraries available, probably .NET based SDK.

The Intel Quark SoC X1000 chip is Pentium compatible, so I presume its possible to run a Windows variant on it. I must say, it sounds rather exiting to have a full on PC type OS, with the same hardware interfaces as an Arduino board. Iā€™m quite interested to see where this is going and how popular it will be.

The Quark chip looks quite expensive, and since it uses BGA technology it probably means that the average hobbyist developer would probably not be able to use it easily in his own designs. And these devices will probably be quite power hungry and not suitable for battery powered applications. Still, I canā€™t wait to start playing with one of these. :slight_smile:

Remember the Edison board with same architecture. But waaay smaller.

At least the Galileo form factor with Arduino shield capability is easier to prototype your design before you go into production with a smaller board like the Edison. I like the concept.

So, Iā€™m guessing that if I havenā€™t got an email yet I missed out?

Rob

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/buildingapps/archive/2014/07/11/rolling-out-the-windows-developer-program-for-iot.aspx

Well I guess ā€œoverwhelming amount of interestā€ is a good thing even if we dont end up getting a kitā€¦

:slight_smile:

Congratulations Justin Wilson!

We are pleased to share that your Windows Developer Program for IoT Kit has been shipped. Here are the details:

Ship Via: Fedex

More toys to get sidetracked with :smiley:

As if you would not have enough toys to play with already :snooty:

@ Reinhard Ostermeier - it would be rude not to try new toys at least once :smiley:

That is excellent new Justin. Please keep us all posted when you receive it. Iā€™m quite curious to know what this will be all about.

Add me to the list of people getting one too.

Congratulations Stuart Richardson!

We are pleased to share that your Windows Developer Program for IoT Kit has been shipped. Here are the details:

Ship Via: Fedex

;D

:slight_smile:

Way to go Justin!

Canā€™t wait to get mine.

Cheers Olaf

Theyā€™ve got some content up, other than the signup page:

https://ms-iot.github.io/content/

Under Samples / Walkthroughs:

Hello Blinky - Learn how to create a new project, configure Visual Studio for Deployment and Debugging, and learn how to use General Purpose IO using Wiring.

Onboard LED - Learn how to toggle the on-board LED on the Galileo on and off.

OnBoard Thermal Sensor - Learn how to use AnalogRead() to read values from the on-board thermal sensor.

16x2 LCD - Learn how to use the 16x2 LCD shield with the Arduino Liquid Crystal Library.

//Build Piano - Learn how to interact with a GPIO port expander and MIDI shield to imitate a piano.