Windows 8 issue, please read

We have received some reports on Windows 8 not detecting the device properly after a new GHI SDK installation or after “Windows Update”. From what we have seen, Windows sometimes “loses” the driver and tries to search for a driver. Through Windows driver database, it finds “Windows Sideshow” and installs that.

This can be easily solved by “right click” on the device and then “Update Driver” and point it to the drivers at
C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI Premium NETMF v4.2 SDK\USB Drivers\GHI_NETMF_Interface

To help us identify if the this issue, please let us know if you have experienced any issues with Windows 8 and what do you see on device manager should you have any problems. A snapshot is best.

Please keep this thread strictly for “my Windows 8 can’t detect my device” and not for any “I can’t update firmware” questions :slight_smile:

Edit: We learned that the GHI boot loader, which exposes itself as a virtual serial port, does not work properly on windows8. It seem to be worse when using USB3 on windows 8. Beside the loader, we are not seeing any issues in the NETMF drivers (deploying/debugging). We think this is a timeout issue in windows8.

I have also seen this happen on Windows 7.

laptop with Win8 64 and only USB3 ports (ASUS N56V)

Pic 1 - right after Spider is plugged in - doesn’t show up as Sideshow, but unknown device
Pic 2 - unknown device’s driver properties
Pic 3 - unknown device’s driver details
Pic 4 - manual driver update
Pic 5 - failed result of driver update

Same results regardless of:

• USB port used
  • set of USB/gadgeteer cables
  • mode the Spider is in (loader or firmware update)

Had occasional issues with my previous laptop (Win7 64), but that seemed to be USB port specific.

Edit 1: Added Pic 6 & 7 with extra info from the Device Driver tabs.

Edit 2: Just noticed the Events tab has a date prior today. When I get home I will uninstall the drivers and try again.

Are you using a powered hub? Is it USB2 or USB3 hub?

Directly plugged into my laptop (don’t have a hub at all) which only has USB3.

@ Gus, I have seen this with one of my Cerberus (although I haven’t tried any others) and a Spider that had 4.1 on it, but not either of my Hydras (one with 4.1 and one with 4.2). I went into device manager, picked Update Driver, browsed to the appropriate 4.2 folder and it worked fine.

I did not see this after Windows update, this was upon plugging the device into the PC for the first time after I upgraded to Win8 and installed the 4.2 October release.

The Spider happened yesterday, the Cerberus was last week.

I am using a power USB hub.

I haven’t plugged either of my mountaineer boards, EMX or CWX into this PC since I upgraded to Win8, can try to do those sometime this week to see if they have the same behavior.

Anyway you can try a hub?

Also, have you used a power pack on DP module?

I don’t have access to a hub. My configuration is: Laptop USB3 → DP → Spider ← T35.

I’ve only powered the DP with USB. When plugged in via USB my last loaded application runs fine.

I will do another test then when I get home – using my wall wart to supply power and then plug up.

Just added this note to first post:

We learned that the GHI boot loader, which exposes itself as a virtual serial port, does not work properly on windows8. It seem to be worse when using USB3 on windows 8. Beside the loader, we are not seeing any issues in the NETMF drivers (deploying/debugging). We think this is a timeout issue in windows8.

FWIW – I uninstalled all the GHI entries from Programs And Features. Next I opened the zip, went to “\Installation Files\GHI NETMF USB Drivers x64” and ran the msi (I didn’t run the main installer).

I then connected my GHI Arachnid, and same results. What was interesting to me is that under the Unknown Device, it still was showing events from the date of 11-23.

If you plug your device to another PC, does it load the NETMF drivers or COM port?

I don’t have another PC at home – my previous laptop died :frowning: I never had this issue with that Win7 64 system.

I can test tomorrow at the office.

I just want you to make sure you have NETMF working and you can ping from MFDeploy then try it on your new machine please.

As far as we are seeing, the boot loader’s virtual serial port is not working with windows8 but NETMF driver is fine.

FWIW2 - I just connected my 9V 1mA to my device, and then connected to my PC via USB. Same situation.

I will try tomorrow at the office, which is a Win7 64 system.

If the board does not have firmware on it then it will not work probably. Just make sure you have firmware on it please.

Curious, would my last deployed app run if there was no firmware?

When I power it with DC, USB or both, my last deployed app runs just fine.

Oh! so your device has firmware on it! But it still won’t work on windows8. The only thing left is NETMF USB drivers vs. WinUSB drivers. The SDK coming tomorrow give you the 2 options. Can you take the device or work, update it with SDK coming out tomorrow and then bring it back home to try.

Can you also borrow a USB2 hub and see if this makes any difference?

We need more help to understand this since we are not seeing such behavior on our end.

I’ll do my best … but I don’t think anyone at the office has a USB hub.

My mom always said I was special :smiley:

Will certainly do.

Thanks for the help!