Windows 10 with Gadgeteer

Today, we are bridging the gap between Windows 10 and .NET Gadgeteer. With the all new FEZ Cream, many of the .NET Gadgeteer modules can be plugged right onto a Raspberry Pi 2 with no soldering and no enclosure restrictions. Thanks to the cables, modules can be mounted anywhere inside an enclosure or a 3D printed design.

As for the software it is just as easy. We are combining the FEZ Cream with our Gadgeteering core and drivers for many of the available modules. Just include the driver for a module, plug it in, and you are ready to use.

The software is separate from the .NET Gadgeteer core for now. We are working with Microsoft on the next version of .NET Gadgeteer core software. Something leaner for smaller devices, yet fully featured for Windows 10 devices. We want to see full integration with Visual Studio, just like how it is for today’s NETMF devices.

So grab a FEZ Cream HAT today and do not forget about grabbing a few .NET Gadgeteer modules…build an amazing Internet of Things (IoT) project that talks to Azure and share it with the community. This is how we can convince Microsoft to work harder on .NET Gadgeteer!

FEZ Cream: https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/541
Gadgeteer Sense and Control Modules: https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/category/275
Instructions, code examples and a list of supported modules is found at: https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/331/fez-cream-developers-guide

14 Likes

Finally!

AWESOME!

you’re welcome! :wink:

Gadgeteer is what the Raspberry Pi needs as it bring the ease of the Gadgeteer world to the Pi.

Just so people don’t have to squint at the photo, it supports these sockets:

I (2)
U
S
X
Y(3)
A(2)
P(2)

and these modules:

•AccelG248
•Button
•CharacterDisplay
•CurrentACS712
•HubAP5
•Joystick
•LED7C
•LED7R
•LEDStrip
•LightSense
•MaxO
•Moisture
•MotorDriverL298
•PulseCount
•RotaryH1
•TempHumidSI70

1 Like

W00t! W00t!

Question… No Xbee Module Support? Or is it so simple to implement just using tx/rx that it wasn’t seen as necessary?

No N18, Relay, Touch Sensor, Rfid, Gyro, or compass module support yet? At least they aren’t listed in the “no plans to be supported” list :smiley:

The N18 module would be high on my list for “please support!” - I know there are small lcd screens you can get for the rpi2, but having a separate tiny display surface that doesn’t go through all the rpi2’s video layers would be nice. Most of the other modules are simple to interface with and people could easily add them themselves. But the N18 module is a little tricky I think.

1 Like

@ mtylerjr - xbee uses U socket and serial port

@ Mike -

There is a U socket!

Edit: Oh - you were saying that it just shows up as a serial port?

First of all, just wanted to say thanks to everyone at Ghi for all their hard work on all the new amazing products they’ve released in the last month, particularly the FEZ Cream.

I’d like to get the RS232 and RS485 modules working with Raspberry PI and Windows 10 (these 2 modules are pretty important for Industrial IoT). So here’s my questions:

1. Is there any reason why these wouldn’t work with the FEZ cream, as they are both UART (I know drivers haven’t been provided out of the box for cream)? - leaving out these 2 modules seems a strange omission unless it’s just a time thing.

2. If that is the case, following the suggestion from GHI on how to support the modules not on the list, any reason why creation of the drivers would not be reasonably straightforward using the module source code?

3. Would I even need the FEZ cream, could I just hook up the uart tx/rx line on the raspberry Pi to the Ghi rs232 and rs485 modules using a modified cable? (Is the voltage suitable on tx/rx lines - I’m assuming it’s TTL 3.3v on rpi and gadgeteer modules)

4. Is there any easier way on Win 10 IoT on RPi to get rs232 and rs485 working (using c# code). I understand that a USB rs232 dongle might work as MS indicate that they support USB serial profile drivers?

Thanks for anyone that can shed some light on this.

Stuart

Any chances to get gerbers for it in the next few days? At the moment we now have a demo PCB routing machine on site, would love to try it out with something potentially useful…

Add to Chart is disabled !

Any chance that a european distributor get some FEZ Cream in the next weeks?

The product page says : “Ships Aug 22nd”, and “preview” which is probably why the Add to Cart doesn’t work

@ stuart_payne - Windows 10 didn’t included support for serial ports yet last I checked. We were waiting for it.

@ mtylerjr - note that the supported modules are just what we have immediately. Drivers for more modules will come very soon.

That was an error. We have plenty in stock.

1 Like

Well THAT’S good news.

I’ll never admit this in public but that was my error. :wall:

Nobody here but us chickens.

1 Like

@ GHI - Nice job, now it is up to us for some cool follow-up … and the coolness is needed here very much @ 35C and more …