What does your electronics work space/lab look like?

Look to me like this thread has been transformed from

[italic]What does your electronics work space/lab look like?[/italic]

to

[italic]How to lay fibreglass?[/italic]

hehehe…

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

indeed :smiley:

You know, I got to chat with Mark over video chat, and while he does have a disgustingly clean workspace, I couldn’t help but chuckle at how difficult it seemed to be for him to find stuff, :smiley:

Then, again, I have the same issue “where is xxx” (10 drawers later) “Oh, here it is”

Thats only because i rearranged stuff. When it was all in a 75cmx75cmx1m deep box, then it was hard to find. You knew where it was, but for the life of you you couldnt find it in there.

This is why we need a split thread function for the forum hehe… more for josh to do.

Back to topics. This is my workspace in a clean state. That didn’t happen often, so I need to take some pictures. ;D

You have to many robots robotfreak. must rememberer to hide some of mine when i post a picture.

I think he have a lot more look behind the camera… :smiley:

@ robotfreak
Your workspace, actually private office, look really nice.
I’m jeolous you have your own private workspace

No, no more robots behind the camera. These are all robots I own, 24 robots to be correct (at the moment). :slight_smile: The desk is normally used for machining robot parts.

I found it better to stop counting. That way when the wife asks “how many is that now?” i can say “i don’t know a few”

Very nice robotfreak! Is that a dremel bench press/bench drill on the left of your robot table? If it is, how do you find it? I’ve been thinking of getting one.

that’s one hell of a collection you got there :o

AWESOME! :dance:

Thank you guys. This robot collection is the result of 15years robot building. Some of them are dead or incomplete, but most are still working. I can’t give it away, they are part of my family (hope my wife did’nt read this). It always break my heart in two, when I must rip one for pieces. ;D

@ MarkH, yes it’s a Dremel bench. It’s worth the money using it for PCBs or small holes (upto 4mm). For bigger holes I have a normal drilling machine, not shown here.

Is it genuine dremel? They are pretty expensive here. You can get a fairly cheap name brand bench (full size) drill press for the same price as the dremel one. I like the convenience of the dremel size though and it’s rpm’s for drilling super smooth holes.

MarkH i have one i like it alot i spent 30 dollars or so I mainly use is for PCB holes and modifying robots.

Mark,

Last time I checked, Dremals are pretty cheap here. What are they wanting you to pay for one?

RobotFreak,

Dang…Didn’t you know ebay and craigslist exist? sell’em bebe!

I too have been looking for an accurate PCB drilling mechanism…

From memory the genuine dremel bench press is in the order of $100 or $120 (I think, I just loked briefly at Bunnings) plus another 70 for the dremel unit itself depending on the model you get. When you can get a decent 3rd party equivalent to the dremel unit for $30 it seems quite excessive, but if it does the job well (ie it’s accurate with fine drilling tasks) then I guess I could be swayed…

I have a genuine dremel and the extension kit + a bunch of accessories i got in a combo deal at Bunning some years ago however the dremel press like brett has said is over AU$100. You can get a small Ryobi or GMC bench drill for that much but they have rather slow rpm’s I don’t have any requirement for drilling of PCB, however drilling wood with a perfectly vertical hole or very accurate is rather difficult with a hand drill in my opinion. The accuracy part is the worse because the drill likes to wander when there is a softer area just next to where you want your hole.

Maybe i’ll throw out the toaster oven and put a proper drill press there… hmm. Choices choices. I guess you could always mod a normal bench drill to put an attachment on for the dremel lol. Then you have the nice heavy press so the dremel can’t move.

I guess I’m spoiled, I use my Taig CNC mill to route and drill my prototype PCBs now. Before that I use transparencies printed on an inkjet printer to expose the PCBs and FeCl to etch them. Drilling was done with a small, $75, bench top drill press, which would only go about 3,000 RPM. You ‘can’ drill PCBs this way but your feedrate needs to be rather slow. I did some encoders boards this way that used Hammatsu (sp?) through hole reflective sensors that have a 0.050" pin pitch.

The biggest challenge with using little drill bits on any size drill press is the lack feedback as to how hard you are bearing down. There are ‘sensitive’ drilling attachments like: [url]http://www.sherline.com/1012pg.htm[/url] you can chuck up in a regular drill press. You leave the drill press spindle locked in place pull down on units collar. This way you can feel what your doing.

Lucky you having a CNC mill :slight_smile: I just get my prototypes made by PCBCart shrug.