Website issues

dont worry, it doesnt bother me that people didnt like my critiques

my issues with the GPS will get resolved when i finish re-writing the class file. the main problem i had with that is the resolution, HH and MM both returned as int and just ignoring the decimal values of the MM? that drops your resolution considerably. yes it allows you to output your gps coordinates easily but ignoring the decimal values to me seems like a huge mistake if you are trying to do navigation or something other then outputting a vague coordinate to the screen.

plus the usage of “out” is a shortcut of a messy pattern, the object itself should allow users to return whatever they want from your GPRMC sentence string. for example gps.GetLong() or gps.GetLat() or gps.GetBearing() or gps.GetSpeed() would be helpful because those methods correctly abstract the concept of GPS. the main program should do the heavy work while using the GPS class to just pull the data that the program needs.

i am going to write that class that abstracts the GPS serial communication in a more logical way. hopefully you will see the value and allow users to test it out even though no one likes the way i discuss some of my issues with the site. ill post it when its done

Just remember that when we write code for NETMF (I am assuming you never done that before since this is a new technology) you need to think small not big. The book explains this in details.

Abstracting things or making things more nicely done may not be favorable option. We also try to keep object allocation to the minimum so you will almost never see the GC kicks in while program is running.

This is the biggest problem I see when developers come from programming 3Ghz/unlimited-ram PCs to programming these small devices.

Is there a problem with the login page ? I can’t login anymore with Firefox :frowning: Now I’m using Chrome but don’t want to try to log out

I find that a friendly tone encourages other folks to be receptive to my ideas and questions, while a brash, obnoxious attitude only serves to drive away the very persons whose help I’m soliciting. This forum is a very casual place inhabited by very friendly folks. There is very little wonder why barging in whilst banging trashcan lids has not earned you a warmer reception.

Is there a problem with the login page ?

The website is going under major back end updates…please bare with us for few minutes and let us know if you have any problems later.

I posted earlier about a blocking feature. I do not want to see anyone blocked from the forums. I was suggesting a feature where I could filter out messages from users who I have no interest in following.

I believe in free speech! But that does not mean I must listen.

I will try later. Thanks !

If it doesn’t work in 10 minutes, I will use IE6 to connect to the forum !!!

gus, i understand and will keep that in mind, i had the same issues initially when i was working with the javelin stamp, very small amounts of memory so everything must be kept very clean.

i did notice that the javascript error i was getting on the forum pages has now disappreared, could it be that the complaining i was doing actually did make a difference?

Like I said before, GHI is very dynamic and we love feedback and constructive criticism.

You see something, feel free to say it out loud but in a nice way :slight_smile: Nothing is hidden here, to the point users know about new products before we make them…users even get to pick a name for the new devices! Never seen any company that do that ;D

DON’T YOU DARE MISTER!! :smiley: :smiley:

And we ALL love tinyCLR / GHI for that! :clap:

If you spent more time reading and less time complaining you would have learned from on the replies earlier today that the website is currently being worked on. Different things have changed all week, it has even been unavailable for a few minutes here and there.

Your complaining hasn’t done a thing but annoy everyone else.

Something tells me you’re not going to kiss you on the mouth :snooty: :smiley:

Well, I do believe this thread has been adequately run in to the ground. ::slight_smile:

The moral of the story is that flaming users on TinyCLR accomplishes nothing.

ContractorWolf said:

Thats the exact kind of contribution that will make a difference to the community. And you have a great concept of how to abstract the “GPS” concept from the different angle than the “GPS data stream” that the current driver offers. That doesn’t necessarily mean that the current approach is wrong, but it does show that like in most things there are multiple ways to skin the cat 8)

[quote]Well, I do believe this thread has been adequately run in to the ground.

The moral of the story is that flaming users on TinyCLR accomplishes nothing. [/quote]

Indeed. Let’s just rest the case? ::slight_smile:

it actually DOES mean the current approach in your GPS driver is wrong, unless you don’t mind the fact that the lack of attention to the decimal values puts your coordinates off ~1.5 miles. try it yourself:
http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html

put in a gps coordinate: 35 03.9999N, 080 53.9999W
and compare it to one without the decimal: 35 03.00N, 080 53.00W
and see what your disance (error) could be

i was shocked when i first tried the GPS driver file you guys put out for other people to use, especially for new users who may be trying to use GPS in navigation robots. This driver file won’t do them any good unless they just want a pat on the back for displaying a vague GPS coordiantes.

I write software (web apps) that run in hospitals for asset and patient tracking via RFID. In my professional business, attention to the details is what will make or break developers. There is no downtime, javascript errors in a production environment are out of the question, and display issues are a joke so excuse me if i hold your website (where i have just spent a good deal of personal money) to a higher standard than you hold yourselves.

flame away.

Dear contractorwolf, This is a relaxed place for users to enjoy electronics. We think of this place as a FEZ community playground where everyone is a friend sharing ideas, interests and opinions. Not a place to flame or annoy anyone with comments.

I have really tried to be friendly even though you showed a lot of disrespect to GHI support staff and other users. Which is not okay by any means but we were trying to bring the developer inside you and not other “things” you are bringing. Funny that users from around the globe were complaining about you but you still do not care!

You really have 2 choices now. You either start respecting others as expected and appreciated or please DO NOT use this forum. Unfriendly attitude is NOT welcome here by any means.

I hope this time we are clear and you will stop bothering others. I am still not deleting your account hoping that you will wakeup from your arrogance and be a friendly developer.

i still dont get why everybody seems to get so updset by HOW i say things that they just ignore WHAT i am actually saying. What i said was that the site has issues that should be addressed (ill admit that i could have said that more tactfully) but i dont really think that my last couple of posts were out of bounds.

i would have preferred it if a GHI staffer would instead respond to my critiques of their GPS driver by explaining how i was incorrect in my assumptions of the hardware or something. i will definitely admit when i am wrong, but instead i just get the basic “dont critique us in the forums” type of response. if you just want m to be nicer in my responses i can do that, but right now i am just confused by you just focusing on my tone and not my content.

[quote]i still dont get why everybody seems to get so updset by HOW i say things that they just ignore WHAT i am actually saying. What i said was that the site has issues that should be addressed (ill admit that i could have said that more tactfully) but i dont really think that my last couple of posts were out of bounds.
[/quote]

It doesn’t matter how correct your information may be, saying it in the way you have been talking is not going to attract intelligent conversation!