Updating bootloader issue

Hi

I did some tests with TinyClr 0.6 a few weeks (months ?) ago and finally decided to go further and start with it.

I received my FEZ last week and I could upload the latest TinyClr version withoout any issue.
Before to start doing some programming, I want to upgrade some of the boards I have
I did start with
the UC5550 Wifi with 1°) UCM Dev Board -

According to the instruction, To activate bootloader v2, hold the LDR0 signal low (press BOOT B on UCM Dev and Breakout boards) while resetting the board. but there is no BOOT B button, only SYS A, B , C and D
So I did assume that try with reset and SYS B.

If i connect the bord, I see a Universal serial Bus Device UC5550 in the device manager
If I follow the procedure (using boot and SYS B) I get a COM 3

But none of those mode makes the board appeara as an DFU device in the DfuSe Demo (v 3.0.6)

Any hints on that ?

2°) I try to upload the bootloader on a FEZ Raptor (Rev 1.0)
To activate bootloader v2, press and hold the LDR0 button while resetting the board
The board appears as COM5 in device manager

If I start SAMBA (2.18), and I select COM5 and at91sam9x35-ek for G400, I got Invalid Chip ID

or image

I did reboot in between and tried on my surface but no luck.
Any help will be appreciated

Philippe

My UC5550 Wifi with UCM Dev Board 

Reset button gave me in Device Manager
Ports(COM & LPT)
	GHI Bootloader Interface(COM3)

SYS A \ Reset button gave me in Device Manager
Universal Serial Bus controllers
	STM Device in DFU Mode	

SYS B \ Reset button gave me in Device Manager
Ports(COM & LPT)
	GHI Bootloader Interface(COM3)
1 Like

And for me
Reset button gave me in Device Manager
Universal Serial Bus devices UC5550

SYS A \ Reset button gave me in Device Manager
Universal Serial Bus devices UC5550

SYS B \ Reset button gave me in Device Manager
Ports(COM & LPT) USB SERIAL Device (COM5)

I could finally get it done
but found strange behaviour in the TinyCLR Config.

I got my device in the Loader TAB when recognized as COM5
I got my device in Debug when recognized as UC5550.
I had to close and reopen TinyCLR Config several time to be able to connect.

But it’s finally done :slight_smile:
In between, I had my FEZ Cobra 3 upgraded

On the other hand, the Raptor was finally seen in the TinyCLR Config after multiple attempt.

Bootlloader version was 2.0.1 and I decided to upgrade but without success.(from cloud and local)

Then, I took the bad decision to erase (Done) and upgrade (Failed)

And Samba still doesn’t want to access the chip, so I am stuck here

Thanks for the feedback

On the other hand, the Raptor was finally seen in the TinyCLR Config after multiple attempt.

what mode do you see, please? Bootloader or TinyCLR?

Bootlloader version was 2.0.1 and I decided to upgrade but without success.(from cloud and local)
Then, I took the bad decision to erase (Done) and upgrade (Failed)

What did you erase? Bootloader or TinyCLR?

And Samba still doesn’t want to access the chip, so I am stuck here

You need to connect pin8 in socket 3 to GND (FEZ Raptor), hit reset button, wait for few seconds, a new COM Port will appear under Device Manager. That is the com port where SAMBA shoould connect to, not com5 which is GHI Bootloader

Before running SAMBA, remember to disconnect pin8 from GND or SAMBA also failed while doing its process.
More detail can be found here:
https://docs.ghielectronics.com/software/tinyclr/loaders/sam-ba-bootloader.html

I think that because no firmware installed.

Hi Dat

I did so many attempts yesterday that I do not remember everything.

Today, I have my UC5550, FEZ Wireless,FEZ Cobra III and Quail up and running
I still have a Spider I to upgrade (not touched yet) and a Raptor that doesn’t work
I want to have all my boards upgraded before starting using TinyCLR

Regarding the UC5550
, here are what I see in TinyCLR Config on the debug and Loader

So, If I am correct, the port name in the Debug will always be the Device Name

Now, regarding the Raptor, I get it visible in TinyCLR

I did try to update to BootLoader 2.04 but it failed.
Then I had the bad idea to Erase (successfully) and try to update again (failed)

I did try to upload the bootloader with samba but I always had a Invalid Device ID (at91sam9x35-ek for G400)

So, this evening I will follow your advice. connect pin8 in socket 3 to GND (FEZ Raptor), hit reset button, wait for few seconds and see…

Thanks for your advice

PS: There is one thing missing on Dev Board for UC5550 : a Mikrobus Socket !

Thanks

Philippe

Don’t do this step. The G400 bootloader as I see it is good, this step just make you more confused.

Now, step by step, one device each time. Let start with UC5550 which is easiest one. First of all, try to update TinyCLR 0.12.0: Gearing up for TinyCLR 1.0 previews

TinyCLR config in this release is much better than 0.6.0 which is very old. By install latest version may solve all your issues, but if you still have more problem, just post.

After UC5550 is good, we will move to next devices. Don’t do anything with Samba which is more complex to you and not related to your problem anyway.

Hi Dat

I just read your response but too late …
But my explanation were probably not right (in English at least)

I did follow your advice for the Raptor and…. it works

Now my UC5550, Raptor, Cobra and Quail are OK and at 0.12.0 level :slight_smile:

But still have one to proceed Fez Spider I and a STM Discovery that I forgot how to put in dfu mode.

If I am not successful with those, I will skip them for later and start to play with TinyCLR :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated

Glad to hear that.

Just one thing:

But still have one to proceed Fez Spider I and a STM Discovery that I forgot how to put in dfu mode.

Don’t try DFU mode with FEZ Spider I. DFU does only work with STM that not Spider1.

I did follow the procedure (switch 1,2,3 ON). I have downloaded the driver from SDK.
I have a com port visible but apparently it can’t be started (reboot didn’t help)

If this is Spider I (EMX), you can try on Win7 to access GHI Bootloader.

Some Win10 PC are not happy with EMX Bootloader.

The only pc running win 7 is my company laptop. I will try on this one. Thanks for the tip

Just to know. If I want to install TinyCLR on STM32F4 Discovery, which bootloader _ firmware do I need to use ?

FEZCLR is good one but you can not put this firmware to Discovery board to run directly, reason is this firmware start from 0x08008000 because our boards have bootloader installed.

So if you are willing to rebuild firmware then start from FEZCLR first.

There are 3 things you may change: Extal Crystal, Disco board may use 25MHz although as I remember it was 8MHz.

RUN_APP_PIN and DEBUGGER_SELECTOR_PIN probably need to be changed because wrong state that prevent you to ping TinyCLR although firmware is running.

Thanks Dat

Well I will wait a little bit for this one !! I am working a lot with C#, did some development with pic a few years ago as an hobby but need to discover this new world !..

1 Like