Tinyclr MOD-GPS modified code

That works anyway. As long as you connect TTL to TTL it’s fine. :slight_smile:
Lurch was worried that the UEXT of the mini was not TTL.
As far as I know it is. Unless someone can proof the different? :stuck_out_tongue:

Why do you want it on UEXT anyway? Why not just connect it to a com port? Is there a reason for that?

[quote]Why do you want it on UEXT anyway[/quote]The UEXT pads are for SPI2 and COM2, which is TTL level (3.3V).
That setup will work. I ran it on the Panda I (which also has the UEXT pads) with my LS20031. The only problem I had at the beginning was that the baudrate per default was 57600 and all NMEA sentences were transferred, so the UART was filling up my memory using the interrupt method before I could process it.
There are some tips on this page to change that if you don’t want to wade through the manual (which you should do, eventually).
file:///C:/Projects/Sparkfun/LS20031%20Documentation/using-the-5hz-locosys-gps-with.htm

The comparison chart for FEZ boards indicates that COM1 on the mini is RS-232 level, not TTL-level. I don’t have a mini, just Panda I’s and II’s, so I can’t be sure.

So basically it would be the safest for him to connect it to a normal COM port at this point? Since we know those are TTL.

Please re-upload your file :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/FEZ/Mini/FEZMini_sch.pdf

Just looked at the schematic of the mini - pins 1 and 2 (COM1) are shifted to RS-232 level.
The other COMs are TTL level.

Using the gps-extension code on the code page, I get the following output on my Panda I with my own COM1 printout and the LS20031 connected to COM2 with 57600 baud as above (some of the text I've added. Also the 5 second wait - the window is somewhat further away ;-):

FEZ Panda II GPS Test

Waiting for 5 seconds
Wait for valid GPS …
05/03/2011 18:06:09
49o58N - 8o15E
49o58N - 8o15E
49o58N - 8o15E
49o58N - 8o15E
49o58N - 8o15E
49o58N - 8o15E
49o58N - 8o15E
49o58N - 8o15E
49o58N - 8o15E
49o58N - 8o15E
49o58N - 8o15E
49o58N - 8o15E
49o58N - 8o15E
49o58N - 8o15E
49o58N - 8o15E
49o58N - 8o15E
49o58N - 8o15E

@ Robert, can you check any discounts at Watterott?
Want to order the gps, and some stuff more…

Only, the current problem is, the LS20031 is currently out of stock.
Watterott send me this yesterday: "In about 3 days we receive new ones."
So, the Gps will be tomorrow back in stock :smiley:

Robert, please let me know, if you can’t get any discounts, no worries, will order anyway :wink:

@ Colin I did not mean watterott when I meant discounts :stuck_out_tongue:
There will be a big shipment from sparkfun, ghi and some other companies soon.
It will be a “buy together” kind of thing…

A teacher of mine will be (or might have) ordering soon too. There will be lower shipping costs for you then (6,75 euros), since it will be sent to his brother which lives in germany.

But since you seem to need it pretty fast I suggest you order right away.

@ lurch, I do not understand what you mean?

Robert, thanks for your reply. When the GPS is back in stock, i will order it.

Will keep you posted.

Thank you all for your information and advice.

Colin, I have done a full autonomous navigational systems for quite a few projects now, so if you need any help regarding the concepts/want any code feel free to ask.

Xarren, thanks for your help. I don’t want any full (c#) projects, want to figure things out be myself, but have you any code snippets that you think it might help me a lot, instead of searching the whole internet :wink:

In that case I’ll wait 'till you get stuck :slight_smile:

Anyways are you using spherical geometry, or approximating it over short distances with flat planes?

And what kind of a controller are you using?

Fine by me :wink:

“spherical geometry”…? “approximating it”…?

“kind of a controller”, for controlling what? Fez mini, or ESC voor speed controller?

Well the earth is a sphere, if you’re working with co-ordinates, the standard plane geometry that you’re likely to have learnt at school won’t work very well.

And controller wise, I meant control logic - In most of my projects I use PID control. PID controller - Wikipedia — Its what I’d recommend you use.

Also, are you using the heading from the GPS, or are you going to have an IMU on your project?

Still reading and learning a lot about autonomous vehicles. Trying to do everything step by step.

About the control logic (PID), will look into it.

And about the heading, the first intention is to use the heading from the GPS. Maybe it isn’t that accurate, but, step by step :wink:

@ waiting for the gps is back in stock :frowning:

PID Controller: “A PID controller calculates an “error” value as the difference between a measured process variable and a desired setpoint. The controller attempts to minimize the error by adjusting the process control inputs.”

Is this controller a piece of programming code or a phycical component? i do think is a programming code.

It can be either - I’m using software to do it.

The main problem with using gps heading is that you don’t have a heading until you start moving, so unless you know which direction you’re facing, you might go straight into something when you start up :).

Xarren, “don’t have a heading until you start moving”, i am aware of this.
I have created a Smartphone application in .NET with GPS connection to test some thing.

Pfff, still waiting for the GPS is back in stock @ watterott (Germany).
Just checked the prices of sparkfun (USA), not a big difference, but the sippingcosts and ETA are big :frowning:

How about proto-pic.com or coolcomponents?

Will check it out. thanks

You also have Robotshop in europe : http://www.robotshop.com/eu/home.html :slight_smile: