Tinyclr MOD-GPS modified code

For GPS, I only use Skytraq chipsets anymore. I didn’t like a single module from the other vendors. Nothing beat the skytraq in terms of speed of fix, accuracy of fix and configuration options.

Well, the “2hz” polling did not work. This thing just refuses to send more data :wall:
This could be a problem…

I have also discovered that the mod gps is best to be used with a car.
While walking satellites are sometimes not found, in a car there is a constant position.

I believe we both need to look for a different gps. :whistle:

Damned, too bad Robert.
Will look into the Skytraq Gps systems.
And also, needed to check out if the Gps systems are compatible with Fez e.g. easy to connect.

Like…
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9133

in combination with:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/177

?

Sounds okay. And, how can I connect the Venus GPS with SMA Connector to my FEZ mini?
Solder the correct pins to the UART pins on the Mini? (so sorry for ‘newbie’ questions).

My RC Car project is currently On Hold, 'cause i need a GPS to give him directions and positions :wink:

Ps: 10Hz max update rate (1Hz default) – w00t

I recommend the LS20031 GPS module, it has up to 5hz true update rate, and has a very simple connection - Furthermore I’m able to get a good lock indoors even though it just has a ceramic chip antenna.

Xarren, looks easy as hell! http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/176

Btw; as Sparkfun says, the LS20031 GPS is 5Hz output and Up to 10Hz update rate.
What’s the difference, when the output rate is 5Hz, why do you need a higher (10Hz) update rate?

Xarren, to which pins do i have to connect the gps to my fez mini? (digital pins or uart?) (first i want to have things clear before buying ;-), if the connection is okay and clear to my, will buy this gps)

Robert, how about you? what do you think about this gps?

The LS20031 has 3.3V TTL level on the Tx and Rx pins. There are other versions (LS20032) with RS232 levels. I have the LS20031 and it works very well with the Panda (TTL level Rx/Tx). They’re easy to program for other baudrates, all or some of the NMEA messages etc.
Download the manual.

is it correct when i say you have connect this (LS20031) gps as followed:

GPS GND (4) → FEZ MINI UART GND
GPS TX (3) → FEZ MINI UART RX (cause Rx is in)
GPS 3.3V (1) → FEZ MINI UART 3.3V pin

Something like this?

(attached the schematics of the Fez mini uart)

EDIT:
i think i also need to connect the Rx to Tx:
GPS RX (2) → FEZ MINI UART TX

Have found some components i need @ watterott:
GPS:
http://www.watterott.com/en/66-Channel-LS20031-GPS-10Hz-Receiver
Stacking Headers:
http://www.watterott.com/en/Shield-stacking-headers
Some Jumper Wires:
http://www.watterott.com/en/Jumper-Wires-F/F-100mm

Correct?

The LS20031 has TTL Tx/Rx. I don’t have a FEZ Mini, but I believe that COM1 has UART levels on the outputs, so that won’t work. Use COM2 or COM3 or COM4, they have TTL levels. Or get an LS20032 with UART level outputs and connect it directly to the COM1, which has RS232 levels.

Hopefully someone with a Mini will answer about the levels on COM1.

Well that gps looks fine to me, Colin.
One thing which I do not really like is that it’s a fixed antenna. I was hoping for a cabled antenna.

The good part of the one I suggested was that it supports 3.3v UART and SPI.

Let me check out another big electronics supplier, maybe they have something interesting too.

The gps you found on watterott, Colin looks fine to me. It’s easy to connect.

Sorry I haven’t replied sooner - Been out and about…

It processes the data at 5hz, but its able to interpolate between the data to give you 10hz output. Therefore you’ve got 5hz true output and 10hz interpolated.

Robert - Regarding the antenna I was a bit weary about it aswell, but I found that it exceeded my expectiations. I had a GS407 before this, it would never get a lock inside my workshop, this does, and it seems pretty accurate (checked against my “real” position as per google maps).

The wiring is

GPS FEZ
Pin1(VDD) -> 3v3
Pin2(Rx) -> TTL Tx
Pin3(Tx) -> TTL Rx
GND -> GND
GND -> GNd

I connected both the grounds, would suggest you do the same.

instead of the 90degree header, if you’re prototyping its probably easier to get a bit of multicore wire soldered on, and solder straight onto your FEZ.

Colin - Do you mind if I ask where you are? Because that site has prices in euros, so I’m assuming europe - and in all honesty it does seem rather overpriced. If you are from around europe I could link you some better suppliers.

[quote]Robert - Regarding the antenna I was a bit weary about it aswell, but I found that it exceeded my expectiations. I had a GS407 before this, it would never get a lock inside my workshop, this does, and it seems pretty accurate (checked against my “real” position as per google maps).

I connected both the grounds, would suggest you do the same.[/quote]

Well, I am not so much worried about the signal. I am more worried about mounting it on my robot. A loose gps antenna would be easy to mount. This is a little harder to mount in my case. For Colin it should be good.

True, but you will need a prototyping shield or you will lose warranty.

He lives in the Netherlands, just like me.
Trust me, watterott is one of the cheapest around for us.

The reason their price is higher are the shipping costs and or friends the customs.
They love to make us poor :smiley:

Therefor the prices are higher.

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Xarren, yes i am from The Netherlands (Europe).

Lurch, so, i cannot connect the LS20031 to the Fez mini UART pins like Xarren showed?

GPS -> FEZ
Pin1(VDD) -> 3v3
Pin2(Rx) -> TTL Tx
Pin3(Tx) -> TTL Rx
GND -> GND
GND -> GND

I’ve never bothered with warrenties so I wouldn’t know - In my experience if something doesn’t work, I send it back together with a couple of stroppy emails and get a replacement or my money back. Never had anyone tell me that I can’t return something just because I soldered onto it.

PS: I paid 33 euro for that gps module :).

[quote]Lurch, so, i cannot connect the LS20031 to the Fez mini UART pins like Xarren showed?

GPS → FEZ
Pin1(VDD) → 3v3
Pin2(Rx) → TTL Tx
Pin3(Tx) → TTL Rx
GND → GND
GND → GND[/quote]

As Lurch said:
The LS20031 has TTL Tx/Rx. I don’t have a FEZ Mini, but I believe that COM1 has UART levels on the outputs, so that won’t work. Use COM2 or COM3 or COM4, they have TTL levels.

Haha I’m just saying ;D

Unluckily farnell does not sell those modules. :frowning:
I was hoping they would sell them :frowning:

Colin, before buying something, please let me know. I might be able to get a discount for you/us.

Robert, did you received my message through your website contact form?

Thanks for reading!

Yes I did.
I have bought a new laptop, so emails are a little on hold at the moment.

Everything about UART can be found in the beginners guide:

It seems like that i can connect the gps to FEZ Mini UART.
Like Lurch said:

The UART connection on the FEZ Mini is COM2, see attached picture.

So, can someone confirm that this is going to work with the following connection:

GPS → FEZ UART
Pin1(VDD) → 3v3
Pin2(Rx) → TTL Tx
Pin3(Tx) → TTL Rx
GND → GND
GND → GND

Thanks for your advice and replies.