The project type is not supported by this installation

I am using Win8. Visual C# 2010 Express, on Win8 x64, Netmf 4.2 QFE2, GHI SDK for 4.2 and 4.1. All working 100%.

Ditto.

Wow… I dug up my old XP machine that happened to have VS 2010 on it. I installed the NETMF 4.2, I installed the GHI 4.2 SDK. I tried to run the installed,now I get:
“This installation package could not be opened. Verif that the package exists and that you can access it… blah blah blah”

Now, I have a machine with the correct OS,the correct SDK’s and STILL… This is rediculous.

Someone please give it to me straight… Am I wasting my time here with FEZ Gadgeteer yada yada? After spending 10 hours just trying to get it hooked up, it sure feels like I’m wasting time…

Rob

Rob,

I assure you that you’re problem is not the norm. If it were, none of us would still be here. I’m sure you probably have, but have you tried re-downloading the install files? It sounds like you may have a corrupt download of the SDK files.

no mate, not wasting your time. But I can honestly say that I can’t remember anyone who has had this level of issue.

Can you clarify what this section means?

[quote] I installed the GHI 4.2 SDK. I tried to run the installed,now I get:
"This installation package could not be opened.[/quote]

What did you try to run? The GHI installer is a “master” installer and runs several other installers. You can manually install them if you want, which you should do in the same order that the GHI installer does, or you can use the GHI installer; either way that’s all you need to run.

One tip: make sure on the original ZIP you download that you open the file properties and UNBLOCK it.

Hi guys, thanks for sticking with me.

I followed these 4 step to a “T” on a PC running XP

http://ghielectronics.com/support/.net-micro-framework

I have installed and reinstalled more times than I can remember

• GHI SDK 4.2
  • NETMF SDK (4.1, 4.2, 4.2)

I have tried those items on 3 operating systems

• Windows Server 2008
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP

I some form or fashion I always get an error, or “can’t be found” or …

Sadly, if I am experiencing this much difficulty just getting started, I think I am going to abort the mission and return the kit.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR EFFORTS AND GOOD LUCK!

Robert V.

• Side note… I got the LED on my NetDuino blinking on my XP machine! Because I’m am a complete newb, this indicates I should be going down that path. I know this probably sounds absurd given the simple “Plug In” nature of GHI Stuff, but this simple success (A blinking LED on a Netduino) is what swayed my decision. (shaking his head)

Last question. Does the Windows Events log show any hints on why it is failing, that might help pinpoint the issue?

Where can I download the “GHI Software Package v4.1” ???

I am going to try everything 4.1… (NETMF 4.1 and GHI 4.1) on my machine(s) one last time.

http://www.ghielectronics.com/download/ghi-netmf-v4.1-sdk

I installed GHI 4.1 SDK, created a new project, but there are no components on the Design Surface or in the Toolbox. Is this normal?

Download this:

http://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/NETMF/GHI%20NETMF%20v4.1%20and%20.NET%20Gadgeteer%20Package.zip

It has Gadgeteer related installers as well

Sorry for the marking unmarking from me, dirty fingers scrolling on the phone :whistle:

Here’s what I got this time…

Problem installing

Microsoft .NET Gadegeteer Core installation has ended prematurely. You computer has not been modified.
To install Microsoft Gadgeteer Core at a later time, please run the installer again.

Ok. I can say unequivocally this time… I’m out… 10/4… Pulling the ejection handle. Returing the Kit and the books.

I really appreciate you guy sticking with me.

RV out

@ robbyv - We are very sorry you had to make this decision. Any way you can try a different PC?

I must say that thousands have used the same software with this being the very first case of unable ot install.

Yeah, agree, it’s a pity it’s come to that - but this has to be a PC problem, it’s certainly not a general problem with these installers.

Strangely enough I had the same problem tonight (Windows 8 64 bit Enterprise, VS2012 and VS2010) and after doing the uninstall reinstall dance without success, I finally decided to take a bit of a risk and installed the .NET Micro Framework SDK 4.2 (RTM QFE2) in addition to the 4.3 RTM which I had already installed. So now VS2010 is back in the game and working. I’m not going to suggest this as ‘THE’ fix as it sounds a tad fluffy around the edges but has worked so far for me.

Now my system has a lot of stuff installed (SDKs, Tools, etc) on it for development so I’m not surprised when it behaves a tad interesting as statistics would suggest the more stuff you have installed, the more likely it is that someone screwed up an installer.

I had this exact same experience today while attempting to work with some code we developed last year using the 4.1 SDK and an original Cobra mainboard.

This install was also on Windows 8.1 64Bit.

By going back and installing the .NET SDK 4.2 (we installed 4.3 first because you “Should” be able to dev 4.1 framework items on it) we were able to fix the problem.

My best guess is that even though a project is 4.1, or 4.2 framework the project type identifiers in the CSPROJ file are different based on the SDK that was installed not just the version of the framework being developed.

hi Scott,

I have numerous projects that were created under VS2010 and netmf4.2 SDK that I can and have opened and edited with VS2012 and netmf4.3 SDK, so honestly I don’t think this is the case. Remembering that the SDK version you use is tied to the VS version you use, what version of VS did you have installed - I suspect VS2010, not VS2012 that is required if you wanted to use the 4.3 SDK (even targeting the 4.2 framework)

I have both versions of VS installed.

This was on a new 8.1 box where I installed 2010 then the 4.1 SDK. Then VS 2012 and 4.3 SDK.

I had to go back and re-install the 4.1 SDK again after the VS 2012 install to get it to work.

The VS2012 and 4.3 does work fine and didn’t have issues.

-Scott

A little late in the day perhaps, but didn’t anyone begin by researching the causes for the initial diagnostic issued by this customer’s Visual Studio?

The answer lay inside his project file, an XML file and I’m sure this could have been found with diligence.

Visual Studio was complaining for some specific reason, here’s one possible cause

B