TGIF - RF Pipe

The RF Pipe is a wireless pipe, which is a special wireless RF module that allows you to easily and reliably, send and receive error-free wireless data between two or more Gadgeteer boards.

It’s Error Free - built-in forward error correction and data recovery, you only ever receive cleaned and CRC verified data.

It’s Simple To Use - anything you input, is wirelessly transmitted, then cleanly outputted for you on the other end.

It’s Immune To Noise - your data inside the wireless pipe is protected from the elements outside such as interferences like WiFi, Bluetooth, Zigbee, cordless phones, cellular phones, all types of servo and motor noise, etc. All things which typically stop your wireless project in its tracks, are no longer an issue.

Easy network setup – push a button to bind radios to the network – no need for software config.

Low power – Typical power usage is a 1/3 of an 1mW xBee

Band: 2.4GHz
Transmit current: 14mA,
Receive current: 17mA,
Data rate 9600
Outdoor range: with chip antenna 500ft (150m)
Outdoor range: with external antenna 3000ft (1000m)
Two versions – one with inbuilt chip antenna and one with a U.FL connector for an external antenna

Video shows an IMU connected to a CerbuinoBee sending orientation info via an Rf Pipe which is picked up by the Rf Pipe on the Octopus then displayed as pitch and roll angles.

10 Likes

Awesome module! Top notch!

That linked with the future “(Need help with a name)” board will be brilliant.

Already at manufacture my young Padawan :slight_smile:

We now have telemetry for octoquad :wink:

Seriously cool J, realy impressive. Price and availability??

$30ea or $55 for 2 or…
Depending on internal or external 3 days

Is the baud rate adjustable or locked at 9600?

Locked at 9600 - but your can still fire a fair amount of data thru at that rate…

@ HughB - Forgot to mention - Steven has 2 internal and 2 external modules for the Bee hackathon so you can have a play with them tomorrow :wink:

@ Justin - I was going to ask that very question. Cooooool loking forward to seeing them. What other bits did you send to Steve?

@ HughB - just a couple of Seven Segs…

I think im taking my entire kit. MS have provided a goodly amount of stuff but you can t have enough Cerbs, spiders argons and modules for a hackathon.

Very sweet! Your webstore need to be up to take on more orders quickly :slight_smile:

Nice one, Justin!

I’m fairly certain the answer is “no” but is it possible to have multiple nodes communicating with a single “server”? or would each “pipe” have to be a pair of modules? Will these interfere with each other?

@ ianlee74 - hate to say it but your “No” answer is wrong :slight_smile:

the beauty if these little guys is that with the flick of the switch they go into network mode.

each module can learn the id if 60 other modules :wink:

so yes, 60 modules can communicate to the mothership

In this case I LOVE IT that I’m wrong! :smiley:

@ Gus - me tweezers wouldn’t cope :smiley:

@ ianlee74 - yeah, they are really easy to use to create a mesh, push a button - done.

Awesome! You just solved the last piece of a project I’ve been thinking about for a while. It should work perfectly if one end was connected to Arduino and the other end one of your modules also, right?