TGIF - RF Pipe

@ ianlee74 - correct.
not perfect as arduino is involved :whistle:
but yes hook up a pipe to arduino with a breakout and your cookin with gas…

The more i think about these the more i love them. Especially the way can hook up with the touch of a button. No more messing with XBee. I guess you get access to all the nodes right? so you can get a list of node id’s, but does it supply any other info so you can easily discover the end device rather than having to send a map around?

star or mesh topology for multiple nodes? your reference to ‘mothership’ makes me thing start, but wanted to confirm. any range estimates yet?

as others have said… top notch stuff!

@ HughB - In ad hoc mode, each node can receive messages from any other node. If you want dynamic discovery, each node would send out a beacon messages periodically. Any node could then keep a network map of adjacent nodes.

In network mode, you have to tell the node to listen, and then it will only communicate with nodes it heard during the learning period. I suspect the learning node sends out a query messages, and all nodes that receive the query send a message to the learning node.

Best way to find out the real answer would be to buy a few modules from Justin and play. I guess you could also read the documentation, but I seem to get in trouble when I suggest reading the manual…

@ HughB - the ESN gets sent in each packet, haven’t actually looked at reading it…

on any module you want to receive traffic push button and in enters learn mode.
push button on another module then the first module learns the seconds ESN.
the first module will ignore all traffic from nodes it hasn’t learnt their ESN.

easy peasy lemon squeezie

Mike said it much better, wonder if he read the manual… :smiley:

@ Mike - thanks for the clarification. I plan to buy at least 4 of these to play with :D.

You wont get in trouble with me by suggesting that I RTFM. I totally plan to but its always worth asking the question :wink:

@ Justin - hahahahahahahaha

@ ransomhall - outdoor line of sight planets all aligned 580 feet with chip antenna, 3000 feet with high gain antenna

@ ransomhall - from the RF Digital manual…

This network feature can be used for peer-to-peer networks, point to multi-point
networks, multi-point to multi- point networks. The association can be between two
units for simple functions like opening a garage door or with many units to form
complex networks with multiple nodes.

And i will be making a BlueTooth 4.0 module when the same people release it :wink:

Righto…back to the Friday Chardonnay…

how do we place an order?
i’d like to play with a few to see if i like better than Xbee

@ MikeCormier - Justin at ingenuitymicro dot com

ha, i am considering to ask you for bt 4.0 LE.

@ Justin, what’s the outdoor range on these little guys? Looking for a communication solution for a distributed security system; cameras stationed on the perimeter sending photos to a mother ship; mother ship stores and forwards to the cloud.

Thanks

@ jeffvan - ideal conditions 500 feet for internal antenna version, upto 3000 feet fir external version with high gain antenna.

I’d vote for a bluetooth 4.0 LE module.

Currently down at Southhampton at the Bee hackathon so decided to do a RF Pipe test.

Highly scientific, both internal chip antennas, one module sitting on a fence ~300 feet away, and other other hanging out the window and still receiving nicely :slight_smile:

Not to bad for 14ma and random placement of the modules, so as per the data sheet you will get better range in perfect conditions with the planets aligned.

@ Justin - have you done a packet drop test?

@ Mike - sort of, only clean data arrives, so any missed messages just drop off the the wire and when clean data is received it gets passed thru, so no gibberish.

I meant sending numbered packets and counting them at receiver. quantitative analysis of quality