TGIF - Bluetooth SMART

AKA Bluetooth 4.0 LE

If you don’t know what it is you don’t need one :whistle:

Video has your typical 90’s Euro pop soundtrack :smiley:

Email with any questions… justin at ingenuitymicro dot com

8 Likes

Justin:

Do you think this module could be used to communicate with an Agent watch?

@ Mike - Yes, but will probably require a firmware tweak.

The firmware is surprisingly simple (relatively speaking) to work with.

Great demo Justin, as usual a great choice of Muzak too :smiley:
WHen will they be available to purchase and how much ??
Also did you write the iPhone app too??

[ol]Pretty much ready now
Dunno - Make me an offer i can’t refuse
No, but i have the xcode as it’s open source[/ol]

Why it says the owner of the video does not allow for mobile playback?

I can’t play it through the forum either. It seems he has the embedded option turned off.

Price???

Hmmm, added video as usual…odd…
$40

Nice module and using the current technology of Bluetooth is important as all the new devices that you want to hook up to are using Bluetooth LE now or will be.

Good work.

@ Duke Nukem - and more importantly ones in your next box :wink:

it’s possible to tethering the gsm/utms connection to the gadgeteer board ?

@ VB-Daniel - What are you trying to do?

@ Justin - instead of using an Cellular Radio Module to conect to the internet I want to use a mobile phone.for the connection to the mobile i want to use bluetooth

good question, will need to look into it.

Nope.

BLE is not simply a slower wireless serial port. It has a relatively complex architecture (GATT, “generic attribute profile”, complex in spite of a BLE stack’s small size) with multiple services per device, where every service can have multiple “characteristics”, these characteristics can have metadata, etc.

The reason for this architecture is interoperability at the application level. A serial port abstraction by itself cannot ensure compatibility at the application level, as one endpoint could use a data format that is incompatible with the one that the other endpoint expects. Like having physically compatible plugs for gas, water and electricity. You’ll only know it doesn’t work when it’s too late…

BLE adds everything that is necessary to enable two devices to (if necessary) negotiate the mutually known formats at run-time. The basic idea is that a service, once it is used in devices in the real world, cannot ever be changed anymore, as most inexpensive devices won’t be field-updatable. To still enable interface evolution, device A can inquire whether device B supports the brand new service S3. If it does, great. If not, A may inquire whether B supports the older service S2, or the even older service S1 - it may not bother to still support the original service S0. This concept makes it easier to evolve interfaces (services) without breaking existing devices or apps.

For anyone who knows Microsoft’s Component Object Model COM, which has gained importance again with the WinRT runtime, this is the same idea of providing sets of immutable interfaces. The interfaces themselves must not change, but the supported sets may change over time.

If you have both device A and B under your own control, then you may not need such an architecture and might still want the old and trusty serial port abstraction. Actually one of our customers was in this situation last year, thus we have implemented a “Mini TCP” on top of BLE for them. Awkward, slow, and might be a problem with Apple’s App Store (not relevant in this case, as it was an enterprise app that isn’t distributed over the App Store). But it works.

If we find the time, we may use Mini TCP also with our own Gadgeteer BLE board (the [em]BLE 1.0 [/em]Module), but I’m not yet sure how generally useful this would be in practice.

For those wondering about mobile playback of the video, it’s due to the music being used, the copyright owner of the music enforces limitations while still allowing the video to be shown. (It’s also the reason an add pops up in it too)

@ Cuno - Thanks for the excellent response
@ jasuk70 - thanks for the clarification.

Justin - will this little beauty stream audio in addition to data?

@ mhectorgato - Streaming audio is in the domain of BT Classic really.

BT Smart is more designed for low power small sensor data transfers etc.

Thanks. I’ll have to look into that.