Support for 60fps camera capture?

Would any of the SITcore modules support 60fps data capture from a digital camera?

I need to be able to capture still images at a min of 60fps from 2 camera modules.

[EDIT] Resolution must be 1920x1080 FULL HD minimum.

I might be wrong, but…

I believe that SITcore only supports high speed USB which is 12 mbs. Two full HD streams @ 60fps exceeds that capacity. One stream exceeds that capacity.

I don’t think you can do it with SITCore the USB is too slow (12Mbps). Even with USB2.0 (480Mbps) it only supply around 52MB/s bandwidth. 52/(1920*1080/1000000) = 25fps -You can only archive maximum 25fps capture on USB2.0 assuming USB bus is dedicated to the camera.

Only USB3.0 (4.8Gbps) can give you around 500MB/s bandwith, supporting two 60fps camera should be no issue but again USB3.0 is likely only found on a computer and various OS delay could still interrupt / slowdown the recording. For uninterrupt recording you will need to use video capture card.

Sounds like you want to do some optical tracking (Used in roomscale virtual reality). OptiTrack might have something you like. These camera process the image inside the camera and directly providing you location. Since only location data are transmited on databus (Ethernet / USB) the bandwidth requirement is minimum.

Thanks vivalite for the detailed reply.

This is actually for photogrammetry with dual cameras. We have tried with two 25fps video cameras just capturing the images as we move around the object but as we are not able to be completely stationary (it’s on an underwater ROV) we end up with too much blurring in the images.

I could easily go the route of a dedicated mini PC such as the DFRobot Latter Panda as we have used its USB3 to capture 120fps video images for our underwater motion amplification camera but I would like to try and make this smaller if possible.

I’ve worked on fast 3D scanning project. The requirement was at certain stage moving speed the camera take images in at least 8fps frequency. I could go with a global shutter camera and it should eliminate some motion blur but if the shutter speed is low enough the motion blur still kill the result (Not to mention the global shutter camera may cost me 80K USD more). In the end I keep using a cheap rolling shutter camera but with strobe light synced to camera shutter. This way I can keep the shutter speed very low to keep blur around 1 pixels.

I think for your under warer application you may keep using the typical 25fps camera but adding a few high power strobe light to the hull, hardware synced with camera shutter. If dazing fishs is the concern you can go with infrared strobe (This way you will need a infrared filter removed mono camera). You may not get too many fps - but each image frame caputred will be blur free. Then you can use OpenCV to process the images. Some clasification and optical flow will give you the trajectory objects moves. Trangle object locations will give you the distance.

Is using an like an rPI with a dedicated hardware camera connection worth pursuing? the STM32 has native camera support but I don’t believe this functionality is exposed to us within TinyCLR - If you wanted to use it you’d have to go bare metal or use an RTOS. TinyCLR just may not work in this application.