Releasing the NETMF and Gadgeteer Package 2014 R3!

Could you please specify what limitations do I have with 4.3 firmware used in commercial project? I just don’t have its sources now? Or I should pay for license? Or what?

@ toxsedyshev - Please contact us directly, you can email me at gary . beaver, thanks.

I think many of us have same questions… Is this limitation that we can’t use it in comercial products only for Cerberus? Or if we buy G120 module and make come comercial product will also have same problems?

To my knowledge this non commercial use only is just for Cerb SoM’s/boards.
We use a G120 in a commercial product, and I would be extremely disappointed if I would need to buy an extra license to do so

Everything is licensed for commercial use except the binary of Cerberus firmware, where the usb name indicates that clearly.

1 Like

“where the usb name instead that clearly.” ← Eh?

@ Mr. John Smith - meant to say indicates. I corrected my post.

The device name will show with this note (for non commercial use) on Cerberus.

As mentioned in the news post, we are working on the final details for providing a commercial solution.

1 Like

I’m excited about the commercialization of the cerb firmware. I can’t wait to see pricing (please be affordable) and I’m curious, currently I use an open source firmware on cerb boards. I regularly have to tweak the firmware for my needs (netmf isn’t always fast enough, rlp is often too much work). Will we still be able to modify the firmware?

No, "Cerberus firmware is no longer open source "

There’s a difference between making the source available to people who purchased a commercial license and “open source” as it’s generally used. For example, we use a math library from CenterSpace (because I didn’t want to write code for non linear iterative partial least squares regression), it’s commercial but for the right amount they will give you source code.

@ untitled - You mean they will License you the source code :wink:

My question was, “Will we still be able to modify the firmware?”

I don’t care how they label that as long as we have that option when needed. Could be a separate license, or a clause in the same license, but without that any firmware bugs render my work SOL until GHI fixes them. And their priorities might not be mine.

@ untitled - it is a lot cheaper and easier to pay GHI to prioritize something than try to do it on your own, something to consider.

After upgrading from 2014 R2 to 2014 R3 I can no longer find assemblies to reference for FEZ Cobra II Wifi in GHI Electronics Discontinued Gadgeteer Modules SDK. Has it been removed?

@ natrix - Wi-Fi is simply eco, which is in the sdk.

@ natrix - Yes. More info: https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=16845

Can this version support Visual Studio 2013?

NETMF codeplex release a Beta that works with VS2013 - http://netmf.codeplex.com/releases/view/133285

well, if need be, it does not directly support all the goodies in a gadgeteer project but creating a plain netmf project and add a couple of assemblies and namespaces and view extra lines of code (I did it 2 extra lines per connected module), it will not only compile but run as well.

I made a little project with one module and some event got fired, not the correct one though, so I do not know yet if that’s caused by the code or the setup … this is on a raptor so only gadgeteer sockets … in vs 2013

I’d guess that if you don’t use Gadgeteer and install in the following order, it could work, since the NETMF parts of the firmware have not changed (according to the NETMF release notes).

1. VS2012
  2. VS2013
  3. latest GHI SDK (requires VS2012 installed, installs NETMF 4.3 QFE 1)
    - from here on it works in VS2012
  4. install new NETMF SDK with VS2013 support

As said, it’s a guess. Didn’t try it so far.
May be the GHI dll’s does not show up in add reference dialog, but browsing for them should work.

add 5. Install the VSIX for VS version you have (for each version its own)