Releasing the NETMF and Gadgeteer Package 2014 R3!

Before we talk about new features, let us thank you all for your patience while we went through all of the major changes in recent months. The work load was huge and not easy but with the amazing team we have at GHI Electronics we were able to achieve amazing results. See previous news announcements for further details on these changes.

USB Host on the Cerb family of devices
We are proud to bring the USB Host feature to the Cerb family, just like all other NETMF SoMs. IF you have a FEZ Cerbuino then the USB host connector can now be used. If you have a FEZ Cerberus, you can now plug in the USB Host module and use it, just like you would on the FEZ Spider. But due to memory limitations, USB Cameras are not supported. USB mass storage devices, mice, keyboards, and even serial devices are supported.

RLP for the Cerb family
Not only were we able to add USB Host but we were also able to keep RLP for the Cerb family! The RLP memory size was reduced from 12k to 4k, however by using existing extensions you can dynamically use memory from the heap for use with RLP.

Commercializing the Cerberus firmware
As announced before, beginning in 4.3, the Cerberus firmware is no longer open source and it is not available for commercial use. We are still working on the details but we are going to release the next generation NETMF System on Chip (SoC). Simply put, we will provide you with an SoC that harnesses the power of NETMF in the package of a chipset. This is not all, by using this SoC you will have a full commercial license with no additional licensing fees!

Stability of the current SDK
The previous SDK was downloaded over 2000 times with only a handful of reported minor issues, which were all fixed in this release. There are still a few small issues that we are working on and they are posted on our issue tracking system. As for adding further features, we are not planning on adding any new features until all issues are 100% covered. Our goal is to have a rock solid NETMF SDK release before the end of this year.

The Internet of Things!
This is the new catch phrase that everyone is using these days, so lets talk about this a bit. We very strongly believe that NETMF is the answer for most networking needs, for the Internet of Things (IoT). It is right in the middle, in the sweet spot, between basic low-level-difficult-to-develop systems and full-blown-slow-booting-virus-magnet-operating-systems. We are concentrating all our efforts now on improving the networking features, including Ethernet, WiFi and even PPP. This includes showing some complete project examples on what can be done with NETMF and the IoT. And speaking of PPP, we were able to establish a connection between two NETMF devices over PPP but the TCP/IP layer is still not working properly. This feature will be addressed in the next release.

Thank you again for all your support through the years and we look forward to the challenges that lay ahead!

NETMF SDK 4.3 R3 2014: http://www.ghielectronics.com/support/netmf/sdk/21/netmf-and-gadgeteer-package-2014-r3
Issuer Tracker: http://www.ghielectronics.com/tracker/list/open

12 Likes

Well done, onwards and upwards ;D

Ahhh, here comes Tinybooter madness again :frowning:

A big thumbs up from me, myself and I :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great! I was anxciously waiting for this release and will try the masstorage option asap to replace the sdcard…

Do we need to manually uninstall the previous version or does the installer take care of that now? I did see Uninstall_Previous.bat flash by on the last install…

@ ransomhall - The installer should automatically upgrade everything for you as long as you don’t have a version of the NETMF SDK before 4.3 QFE1.

1 Like

YAHOO! Thanks GHI

Time to get to work.

Why does the installer removes the MS SDK 4.2 assemblies :’( ?

@ RobvanSchelven - Which NETMF SDK did you have installed before running our 2014 R3 installer?

@ andre.m - Indeed it doesn’t make sense. That’ll be fixed for the next release.

@ John - 2014 R2. The last time i installed R2 i also had to run MicroFrameworkSDK.MSI (4.2) afterwards.

The V1.1 Fez Cerberus that didn’t load 4.3.3, now has loaded 4.3.4 and seems to work. Nice job!

1 Like

@ andre.m - Yes, i unchecked 4.2 (because it was already installed)… Unchecking does not mean to me de-install it if already installed.

Great work.

Was USB HUB dropped from Cerb due to memory constraints ?

Are the sources for Hydra on Git the same as this release ?

@ RobvanSchelven - We do not support any NETMF SDK except 4.3 QFE1 in our SDK. Using another version can result in unknown problems due to the fact that the NETMF SDK itself does not support side by side or upgrade installations. Having the NETMF 4.2 Micro Framework SDK installed when you installed our SDK is not supported. Why do you need to install the 4.2 SDK?

@ Rajesh - You can find the sources for the FEZ Hydra at https://bitbucket.org/ghi_elect/fez-hydra It is always kept up to date.

@ John - As in the attachment you can see that I have multiplatform / multifirmware solutions for customers with different hardware/firmware

@ RobvanSchelven - The 2014 R3 and R2 SDKs both have support for 4.2 though. They include the latest 4.2 firmware and libraries for all of our boards. Everything should just work for you.

@ andre.m - That is definitely something we want to support and are looking into.

[quote]Commercializing the Cerberus firmware
As announced before, beginning in 4.3, the Cerberus firmware is no longer open source and it is not available for commercial use. We are still working on the details but we are going to release the next generation NETMF System on Chip (SoC). Simply put, we will provide you with an SoC that harnesses the power of NETMF in the package of a chipset. This is not all, by using this SoC you will have a full commercial license with no additional licensing fees![/quote]

If we send cupcakes will you guys send more details about this new SoC?