Releasing the NETMF and Gadgeteer Package 2014 R3!

:dance:
This is my +10!

I have some Sparqee modems I would like to give a shot with PPP. I have the SIM900 as well. Both have been sitting waiting for PPP. :wink:

Way to go @ Simon!

I don’t need it now Gus since I got the AT commands to work!!

Nah, only kidding.

It will be awesome to get a working PPP as there is way more I can do with it than the AT commands have given me, including all the headache of poor documentation from SIMCOM.

Great news !!! :clap:

This is great news. Very happy to hear about USB host on the Cerberus boards. That was what originally interested me in Gadgeteer. It was a long wait, but I’m very happy its a reality now.

After upgrading from 2014 R1 to 2014 R3 I can no longer find assemblies to reference for Fez Cerb40 II. Has it been removed?

There is an assembly called pins.

May I ask how you are planning to mount your Sparqee Cells on your rig?

What is this PPP I keep hearing about?

@ njbuch - For testing I am going to breadboard it. If everything works I will make a carrier board for it to go along with my G120 board I am working on. (https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=16605)

At $113 I am still not sure I will use it in any products. Its hard to beat the price of the SIM900.

@ Mr. John Smith - PPP allows you to use a cellular modem as a standard network connection to the Internet. It makes it much easier to build devices that connect to the internet. Currently to use the SIM900 with .NETMF it requires using the SIM900’s built in HTTP client which is cumbersome at best because it requires a text based protocol over the UART connection.

It’s a protocol used to send and receive IP Packets over a serial link. In the old days it was done with acoustic modems but is now done over GPRS or even just serial to serial.

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1661.txt

With this protocol you simply make a GPRS connection with the modem and then use the built in TCP/IP sockets to send and receive your data. Much easier than trying to use the AT commands in modern modems.

I am not suppose to say anything but we have now an active connection from netmf to a mobile network over ppp. Stay tuned for more details.

4 Likes

It’s 12:26AM Gus. On a Saturday. :open_mouth:

@ Mr. John Smith - dedication! Or addiction! :slight_smile:

Notice I’m also up as well :stuck_out_tongue:

Passion!

Nice to hear PPP is back again! Once it’s done, please bring back another 4.1 feature — application protection :wink:

Possible but the current plan is not to add anything and concentrate on one thing, quality. The task tracker has few and there is another list for Microsoft once they are done with current reorganization.

Do you plan to separate the GHI NETMF SDK from the GHI Gadgeteer SDK in the future (like Microsoft does), so you can release a new NETMF SDK using the latest NETMF version, even if the new Gadgeteer core is not available yet?
I remember the time when GHI could not release a 4.3 SDK, just because the 4.3 Gadgeteer core was not available.

1 Like

Excellent! Get ready to sell me a few thousands of G120 SoM’s :slight_smile:

USB host on cerberus issues are corrected. But we may need your help because there are some different kind of usb devices. So if you want to test a fixed version while waiting for next release, please send your email to GHI.

Thanks for your help!