Releasing the NETMF and Gadgeteer Package 2014 R2 Beta-2 SDK!

Let us know how it goes.

I could use a Win7 VM (vmware) to install 4.3 fw on a Hydra in only 2 tries, not bad.

I’m now testing some 4.2 code, and I got a warning that I didn’t get on the 4.2 SDK 2014-R1 machine:
Target is netmf 4.2 on a 400HDR (Taylorza gadgeteer helper)

:open_mouth:
I’ve translated in english (it’s italian language due to VS2012 installation) so may be it’s not exactly the original en-language message.

What’s that ?

The compiled code is working fine on the target device, deployng from vs2012 on the VM (2014-beta2 installed). Debug is not working correctly but it may be a problem USB redirect with vmware.

@ dobova - Do you have a reference to Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.dll in your project?

@ John - I confirm. For safety I’ve removed and referenced again. I’ve done the same also for GHI.Premium.System.dll
Looking in Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware lib, I don’t see any “AnalogOutputChannel” object, nor I see it in the GHI.Premium.System

EDIT: This problem happens for 4.2 project on a 2014 Beta2 installation.

Digging a bit, It seems that “GHI.Premium.System.Util.PlayPCMAudio” references “Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.Cpu.AnalogOutputChannel”.
In any case this warning is not an issue.

I checked my non-beta SDK install and the 4.2 firmware and loader versions are all still the same. Yes, I am pretty sure that there’s no change, it’s just packaging the same SDK components that the last 4.2 only SDK delivered.

@ Brett - In fact the dll from GHI of the beta2 and R2 are the same. But this is not true for netmf 4.2 [em]Microsoft.SPOT.hardware.dll[/em]. :open_mouth:

• The 4.2 SDK R2 has a dll dated August 13th 2012
  • The 4.2 of Beta2 has dll dated February 16th 2012

On the left pic SDK R2 object referenced, on the right the Beta2.

Uh ?

Are this problem of QFE x ?

Microsoft.SPOT.hardware.dll is not from GHI, right?
And file dates are the most unreliable method to compare files.
Comparing version info and a binary compare would be more interesting.

The mistery is solved by manually installing 4.2 QFE2 NETMF. The Beta2 installer from GHI install QFE1. The two dll are same version (4.2.0.0) but different date and dimension.

Which QFE1 does the GHI installer install? 4.2 or 4.3?
I would have assumed GHI Installes NETMF SDK 4.3 QFE1, which should include 4.2 QFE2 assemblies or even newer ones !?

@ Reinhard Ostermeier - The Beta2 GHI Installer for some reason install:

• 4.2 QFE1 and not QFE2.
  • 4.3 QFE1 (correct)

I’ve done installation on a clean (no netmf) machine Win7

@ dobova - I do not really understand why the GHI installer installs both: 4.2 and 4.3, because the 4.3 NETMF SDK includes the 4.2 assemblies. :think:

If the 4.2 SDK is installed to support VS 2010, then
1st: this should be optional
2nd: it should be QFE2

The only SDK we install is the 4.3 QFE1 one from http://netmf.codeplex.com/releases/view/118283 It does install the 4.2 assemblies (which should be QFE2) alongside the 4.3 assemblies. I would completely uninstall everything related to GHI’s SDKs and Micro Framework and do a fresh install.

@ John - I just run the Beta2 installer on a clean VM, no previous SDK installed no NETMF of any sort, only VS2012 with UPD4.
The 4.2 assemblies installed by setup are from 4.2 QFE1. I can revert to a clean snapshot and redo again, but I’m sure of the result.

I un-installed the 4.2 Gadgeteer package and installed the NETMF and Gadgeteer Package 2014 R2 Beta-2, was able to upgrade the firmware on the Cobra II board, and now FEZConfig cannot communicate with the Cobra board. I pressed the reset button a few times, no luck. Was I supposed to un-install the 4.2 Gadgeteer? I don’t see the winusb or the usbser drivers in the Control Panel Programs and Features window anymore.

There is a USB device named “GHI NETMF Interface”

Also, while installing the Gadgeteer Package 2014 R2 Beta-2, this web page came up:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\sam-ba_2.12\doc\usb_notice.html

Sorry, I left out the html file. It got put on my hard drive somehow. Here is the text:

SAM- BA ® USB Notice                                                                  

The new USB driver in sam-ba v2.11 is able to communicate with ATMEL ARM-based devices via a USB CDC Serial communication channel, on Microsoft Windows® XP and Windows® Vista and Windows® 7.

In order to be able to use a new USB driver, any previously installed driver (e.g. sam-ba v2.10) will not work and the old driver (atm6124.sys) can not be updated to the necessary functionality of new driver. An old driver has to be removed before you can install the new USB driver.

If user has a computer that has both back entry and front entry USB ports, then new USB driver upgrade might result in one of these sets of ports not working. For example, the one of front entry ports which has been recognized as “atm6124.Sys ATMEL AT91xxxxx Test Board” will not working in sam-ba 2.11, user have to remove old USB driver and install a new one. But maybe the back entry ports which never recognized as old driver will be able to install the new USB driver directly.

If user wants to have two versions (e.g. sam-ba 2.10 and sam-ba 2.11) of SAM-BA works on the same computer, you have to navigate through these USB devices and then you have to locate the correct drivers to apply updates. For example, the one of front entry ports which has been recognized as “atm6124.Sys ATMEL AT91xxxxx Test Board” will continue to function properly for sam-ba 2.10, and the back entry ports will be used for new USB driver for sam-ba 2.11.

How to upgrade new USB driver?

CASE 1: It is my first time to install SAM-BA (never installed previous version of SAM-BA)

The following steps are explained for Windows XP, but very similar for the other versions of the OS.

Connect the board to the computer via a USB port and power it on,

The system finds a new hardware and asks you to search a new driver for it,

Tell it to install software automatically, then button,

USB installation automatically

Press to install.

USB installing

Press to complete install.

Complete USB installation

Case 2: I have installed SAM-BA 2.10 before, and the usb port is recognized as an “ATMEL AT91xxxxx Test Board” on Windows XP.

That means a previous version of USB driver (atm6124.sys) was already installed from previous versions of SAM-BA, you have to uninstall this driver first, or connect the board to another USB port on the computer where the board will not be detected.

To uninstall a previously installed driver on a USB port, you have to open the Windows Device Manager tool (the following steps are explained for Windows XP, but very similar for the other versions of the OS):

Connect the board to the computer via a USB port and power it up,

Control panel -> System -> ‘Hardware’ pane,

Expand the ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’ folder,

Universal Serial Bus in Hardware Management

Right click on the ‘atm6124.Sys ATMEL AT91xxxxx Test Board’ entry,

Uninstall atm6124.sys

Choose and confirm, (the entry disappears from the list)

Power the board off.

To install the USB CDC Serial driver

Power the board on.

Choose to install from a list or specific location (Advanced), then button,

USB installation in special location

Select the folder for SAM-BA install location.

USB installation select location

Press to install.

USB installation start

USB installation complete

IMPORTANT: If you change the USB port on which you connect the board, you will need to redo the installing procedure described above.

In the ‘Device Manager’ window, your board appears in the ‘Ports (COM & LPT)’ folder, with the ‘virtual’ COM port name indicated in parenthesis.

Ports (COM & LPT)

IMPORTANT: You just need to select “¥USBserial\COMxx” when SAM-BA shows the ‘Choose Connection’ message box, because SAM-BA have converted this virtual COM port name to “usb\ARMX”.

Case 3: I have installed SAM-BA 2.10 before, and the USB port is recognized as an “AT91 USB To Serial Converter”.

The following steps are explained for Windows XP, but very similar for the other versions of the OS.

To uninstall a previously installed driver on a USB port, you have to open the Windows Device Manager tool (the following steps are explained for Windows XP, but very similar for the other versions of the OS):

Connect the board to the computer via a USB port and power it up,

Control panel -> System -> ‘Hardware’ pane,

Expand the Ports (COM&LPT)

Right click on the ‘AT91 USB To Serial Converter (COMxx)’ entry

Choose “uninstall” and confirm, (the entry disappears from the list)

Uninstall USB to Serial Converter Driver

Power the board off.

To install the USB CDC Serial driver

Power the board on.

Choose to install from a list or specific location (Advanced), then button,

USB installation automatically

Click on <Don’t search, …>, then button.

USB installation without search

Select the Model: ‘AT91 USB to Serial Converter’ in the list and click ,

Select ATMEL USB to Serial Converter

Press to install.

USB installing

USB installation Complete

Case 4: I have already uninstalled previous driver, but it was recognized as previous driver again.

Try the following steps to remove the inf completely and reinstall it again.

1. Use the Windows Explorer Search option and perform a search operation for “AT91 USB to Serial Converter” string in all the files located in the “c:\windows\inf” directory.

You may notice you can’t find this folder, it’s because it’s hidden folder. To view hidden folders, select Tools in the menu bar, >Folder Option > tab view > select hidden files button.

1. Go back to the above folder and it should now be viewable, within this folder you will find INF and PNF files. These are the device drivers that are being loaded when windows starts. Depending on when you installed the previous driver (atm6124.sys for example).

2. You can search and delete this corresponding INF and PNF files associated with the previous (or wrong) drivers installed.

3. The result will point on a file named “oemxxx.inf” where ‘xxx’ is a number which may differ from one computer to another.

This file should have a header similar to the below:

;

; WPUSBSERIAL.INF (for Windows 2000)

;

; Copyright © 2000, WondeProud? Technology Inc.

1. On the faulty computer’s USB connector, plug the USB cable with the board powered on

2. Delete the “oemxxx.inf” file previously found

3. Open the “Device manager” in Control Panel -> System -> Hardware pane

4. In the “Ports (COM and LPT)” section there is a " AT91 USB to Serial Converter (COMxxx)" entry

5. Using a mouse right click on this entry, select “update driver…”, choose “Browse my computer for driver software” and install the new INF file “atm6124_cdc.inf” manually

Hi,

I have tried to upgrade to latest SDK, compiled and all is fine but when I try to deploy I get:
Error 1 Cannot deploy the base assembly ‘mscorlib’, or any of his satellite assemblies, to device - USB:Gadgeteer twice. Assembly ‘mscorlib’ on the device has version 4.3.1.0, while the program is trying to deploy version 4.3.0.0

I can’t seem to find 4.3.1, tried to reinstall but only have 4.3 in the list of possible target frameworks.

Running VS 2012 on Win 7 64bit.
And EMX board.

Any help would be great, thanks.

-T

There are not any 4.3.1 versions of mscorelib in the SDK or on my computer.
In C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.3\Assemblies\le
There are only 4.3.0.0 dated 27.11.2012 12:11

Have also tried to reinstall from here:
https://netmf.codeplex.com/releases/view/118283