Overlord 3D Printer

@ ianlee74 - Is it the same way that Mega Seeds get through interdementional customs? :smiley:

1 Like

Uhā€¦not quite. Our method is more odorless :-[

My new toy arrived on Friday morning and I spent Saturday playing with it and setting it up. Ran a simple programme to create a name plate for my daughter and it turns out the machine is out of calibration. It is 20% off on all directions.

I spent Sunday morning figuring out the settings and finally got it spot on over 300mm travel so now pleased with the results.

The name plate looks good even is 20% smaller than I wanted it to be :slight_smile:

Machine is very sturdy but has no limit switches. I checked out the electronics board and it has input for them so I plan to get them added in the near future. Other than this is works well but boy do those stepper motors get pretty damn hot.

Tomorrow I plan to do a first proper cut on an enclosure. I found a nice CNC simulator that can be used to check your toolpaths work as intended. Good thing I did as I would have ended up with a larger cutout instead of a cavity. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@ Dave McLaughlin - Fun stuff! The curves donā€™t look so smooth on the letters. Is that correct to the design or is the resolution not so great on the CNC?

While weā€™re giving updatesā€¦ I ended up selling the Anet A8 before I got it out of the box to another member. Heā€™s got it assembled and working and seems happy. I was having regrets about getting it so I considered it divine intervention. I ended up buying a Monoprice Maker Select Plus (rebadged Wanhao). So far Iā€™m really happy with that choice. Assembled and printing in 15 minutes. First print came out flawless.

Yeah, the resolution of the DXF was the issue with that. Iā€™ve rectified this for future work with arcs.

A 3D printer is next on the list but after this one (which was purchase by the office which I technically own) it will have to wait another month or so to pass the scrutiny of the wife. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@ Dave McLaughlin - My collegue got wife approval by the fact that he makes plastic jewellery for her.

PLASTIC??? What wife doesnā€™t want gold and diamonds? Lucky him Iā€™d say :slight_smile:

@ Dave McLaughlin - He says it still looks good. But then again he may be biased :wink:

Looking forward to your results with enclosures.

Just placed my last minute order too!!!

I am still in the market for a 3D printer. Will probably source something from AliExpress or locally.

In the meantime, have been busy with the CNC machine making bits for a project that has been on hold until I get the Seeed Studio Respeaker, which is due soon.

http://embeddedcomputer.co.uk/2017/06/28/juno-parts-making/

1 Like

@ Justin pointed me to a new contender if I was doing it again (Iā€™m not) the Anycubic i3. Very robust construction and basically half a dozen bolts and youā€™re fully assembled. http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_641323.html (much more than the AU$235 I paid, but no problems)

Change that model to an EU plug and the price drops from $436 to $374.

Tempting. :slight_smile:

and black onlyā€¦ drops too

Postage changes too, though.

Seems very similar to my Aldi/Cocoon Create Touch. They did a another batch direct for those like me who missed out on the very limited Aldi stock. [url]http://support.winplus.com.au/hc/en-us/articles/115002329083-Cocoon-Create-3D-Printer-Touch-Setup[/url] $AU499
Iā€™m quite happy with it, I set it up with OctoPi and got it to print itself a nice case, then did the same with my old printer.
Comes with Cura and settings that work very well straight out of the box, also easy to set up the latest Slic3r to slice and print directly to the OctoPi (or to the printer over USB, of course).

1 Like

Looks like just another Wanhao i3 Select Plus clone. I recently bought one of the Monoprice rebranded ones and itā€™s been running almost 24x7 every since. I did end up replacing the extruder & hotend w/ a Flexion because I needed to print higher temp plastics and flexibles. Also, the extruder started not gripping as well. However, that problem can probably be alleviated with a $9 drive gear upgrade from Uncle Chuck if you primarily are interested in printing PLA. Not sure what the situation is regarding shipping from Monoprice to you is, though. Surface quality out of the box doesnā€™t compare to my custom built delta. However with some simple mods and bracing you can probably get the vibration out.

1 Like