New Product - Mounting Boards from DevOnBoard

I am a senior at Lawrence Tech right now. GHI is the epitome of what I aspire to be. I’ll have to send an E-mail. I am just down the road here, and it would be an absolute honor to see the “shop.”

Frustrating that LTU is a C++ school. Absolutely zero exposure to C#.

Do I just send an E-mail to info@ devonboard.com to get an order in?

Sure, we can show you how the boards are manufactured. It is always fun when we show off our (very expensive) toys… aka production line.

Yep, that’s the whole idea of these designs and GHI’s FBBs, as well as the custom boards GHI will have a service for.

I definitely recommend you take Gus up on his offer :wink:

Yep - I’m having an issue with the system I’m using for the shopping cart, so getting it online is behind schedule. an email works just fine.

-Steve

Thanks Steve. I look forward to having one or twenty of these.

I had an old UHMW sheet in the basement, I just screwed everything to that, but It looks terrible.

Gus: Can I E-mail you or you E-mail me at canders@ ltu.edu to arrange? It’s finals this week, so I’ll have the next three weeks or so free to really get into the GHI products I’ve purchased to date. Would be neat to see from where they came and from what brains they were imagined.

Emailed

@ stevepresley - Does the uni-mount design include both a top & bottom or are those ordered separately?

I haven’t finalized the design on a top and bottom plate yet, but they would be separate. Other than the perimeter mounting holes, they would be fully engravable though, including the option to put logos/graphics on them.

I did some font carving tests over the weekend to figure out the smallest “legible” fonts and will be posting pics shortly, after I tweak them in paint.net.

-Steve

I want your image #1 & #2 just the way they are. No need to change the design. What’s the cost for those?

$4 each. Let me double check on which colors I have in which thicknesses in stock. Will post an update this evening - just got the issue with the theme on the shopping cart resolved. Should have it up tonight as well.

just the other day i was looking for something exactly like this!.

do you think you could ship to new zealand? if so - how much would i be looking at for that?

ill have to measure my stuff, but id be looking at at least a couple of the larger boards & a couple of the samller ones.

Absolutely. I calculated post to Australia the other day, it’s the same for NZ - $17 US for most boards (up to 4lbs), $48 or $61 for up to 20lbs, depending on dimensions. FedEx/UPS are in the hundreds of dollars for even small packages, so USPS is the way to go for these items.

awesome stuff.
ill wait for the site, as i need to make sure im getting the right one. i really only want it to hold my monsters/learning projects together at the moment, i think i want the unigrid.

Good work dude, this is exactly what i need.

Thanks!

I just finished doing inventory of all the acrylic, ABS, HDPE and UHMW I have. 47 different permutations of colors, thicknesses and finishes on hand.

I need to do some Excel magic to get the costs set for some of the specialty colors/finishes like Mirrored, Metallic and Glittered. Once I have that done, probably half an hour or so, will start adding them into the site.

Forgot that I didn’t upload the engraving pics.

I used a .1mm 15degree engraving bit. The side labeled “Carve” was done using a Carve path in the program I use - VCarve Pro by Vectric (http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/vcp/vcp_index.htm) . The Carve path will take an object (letter in this case) and carve either around the perimeter of the object, or cut out the face of the entire letter… The side labeled “Profile” was done by using a profiling path, but having it ride on the letters. Using PostScript fonts, there is more of a difference, but the font I am using is called a Single Line font, so the letters themselves are only 1 line thick. I do have a few 3 line fonts as well, but for the smaller letters on the UniMount, I used the 1L font.

In these boards, I used the same depth of 1mm. Some of the smaller fonts at the bottom didn’t work out well (as you can see) as there was too much bleed over between the letters. I’m going to try different carving depths of the 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5mm fonts to see if I can get them to “clean up” a bit.

Also, I used acrylic paint to inlay the letters. Since the acrylic comes with a paper mask to protect it in shipment and when being milled, I just used a brush to paint over the carved letters and the mask, then peeled it off after the paint dried a bit. I should have let it sit longer as there were a few spots that didn’t come off cleanly and made their way onto other areas. Also, I cut the groove around the edge too close to the edge, so the mask was all gone when I removed the board from the base material. I didn’t try to fill that in.

Anyhow, here’s what the yellow translucent 4.75mm board looks like with painted letters (same board as the other pic with the grid and the DevOnBoard.com kick out at the bottom with the fine line Sharpie method)

Oh, forgot to mention, in the pics, you can see the upper right hand side of the board (in pic 2) didn’t get the paint adhered as much - was because the carving didn’t go as deep. I’ve been using a foam backer board underneath the acrylic so that the mill doesn’t cut through the base plate on my CNC machine. Because the foam is not as rigid as the plastic, it can be slightly higher/lower on some areas and does give slightly when pressure from the mill cutter is put on the piece.

I have been working on a cutting plate system that will let me use another piece of acrylic or HDPE as the backer board instead of the foam, so it won’t warp or flex due to the temperature changes or when material is removed as much as the foam will. Also, now I’m having to use double sided carpet tape to hold the acrylic to the foam so it won’t move. I’m switching to a method of finger clamps, hard edge guides on two sides and metal dowels to align the boards in the various stages of machining so that I can do the engraving before or after the hole/edge milling and have more accurate repeatable results.

When I need to remove a piece from the cutting table and remount it, I’m currently accurate to around .005" with my current method, that should go down to .002" or .001" with this new method. I have been machining pieces from start to stop, changing the bits multiple times per piece before moving onto the next in order to keep the tolerance to within .001" to .0005". By using a plate system, I can create many more pieces at once, then go back and do the engraving or turn a UniMount into a UniGrid without having to have one variation of each board in stock. I can just take a UniMount, put it back on the mill and zap the rest of the grid holes into it and get it out the door.

Nice work Steve.
Only 47 permutations - pfft is that all :smiley:

Looking good, Steve. Is the site going to be up soon or should I go ahead and email you my order?

About that backer board… MDF would probably be the perfect material. You could use your CNC to drill a grid of holes in it and use “dogs” and wedges to hold everything in place snuggly and it would be very quick & easy to setup & adjust.

I thought about MDF as well, but after a bit of research I’m going to use plastic - the TiN coating on the mills seems to wear off quicker when used on wood, so that’s the reasoning.

It’s taking a bit longer than anticipated to get the permutations loaded into the site, so here’s a synopsis of what I have on-hand at the moment:

Material  Opacity      Color                  Shade    Finish           Thickness (in)  Thickness (mm)  Product Code  $$
Acrylic   Opaque       Copper on Black        Brushed  Metallic                 0.06     1.524          25259-03      
ABS       Opaque       Black                                                    0.0625   1.5875         8586K352      
Acrylic   Transparent  Clear                                                    0.11     2.794          8560K191      
Acrylic   Opaque       Black                           Glossy                   0.118    2.9972         24112-01      
Acrylic   Opaque       Black on Bright White           2 color                  0.118    2.9972         25255-01      *2
Acrylic   Transparent  Blue                   Light    Glossy                   0.118    2.9972         24134-01      
Acrylic   Transparent  Blue                   Powder   Matte non-glare          0.118    2.9972         25082-02      *3
Acrylic   Opaque       Blue                            Glossy                   0.118    2.9972         24131-01      
Acrylic   Translucent  Blue                            Glossy                   0.118    2.9972         24152-01      
Acrylic   Opaque       Blue                            Mirrored                 0.118    2.9972         24173-01      *2
Acrylic   Opaque       Blue on Bright White            2 color                  0.118    2.9972         25256-02      *5
Acrylic   Transparent  Bronze                 Dark     Glossy                   0.118    2.9972         24137-01      
Acrylic   Transparent  Bronze                 Light    Glossy                   0.118    2.9972         24166-01      
Acrylic   Transparent  Bronze                 Medium   Glossy                   0.118    2.9972         24167-01      
Acrylic   Opaque       Bronze                          Mirrored                 0.118    2.9972         24177-01      *2
Acrylic   Opaque       Brown                           Glossy                   0.118    2.9972         24157-01      
Acrylic   Opaque       Grey                   Slate    Mirrored                 0.118    2.9972         24175-01      *2
Acrylic   Transparent  Grey                            Glossy                   0.118    2.9972         24136-01      
Acrylic   Translucent  Ivory                           Glossy                   0.118    2.9972         24154-01      
Acrylic   Transparent  Pink                            Radiant                  0.118    2.9972         25053-01      *2
Acrylic   Opaque       Red                             Mirrored                 0.118    2.9972         24174-01      *2
Acrylic   Opaque       Silver                          Mirrored                 0.118    2.9972         24135-01      *2
Acrylic   Translucent  Yellow                Citrus    Matte non-glare          0.118    2.9972         25088-02      *3
ABS       Opaque       Black                                                    0.125    3.175          8586K362      *2
Acrylic   Translucent  Amber                           Flourescent              0.125    3.175          85635K462     
Acrylic   Translucent  Blue                            Flourescent              0.125    3.175          85635K463     
Acrylic   Transparent  Clear                                                    0.125    3.175          8560K239      
Acrylic   Translucent  Green                           Flourescent              0.125    3.175          85635K464     
Acrylic   Translucent  Red                             Flourescent              0.125    3.175          85635K465     
UHMW      Opaque       Black                                                    0.125    3.175          4296A31       *2
Acrylic   Translucent  Chartreuse                      Glitter                  0.135    3.429          25236-02      *4
Acrylic   Translucent  Garnett                         Glitter                  0.135    3.429          25233-02      *4
Acrylic   Translucent  Salmon                          Glitter                  0.135    3.429          25232-02      *4
Acrylic   Translucent  Silver                          Glitter                  0.135    3.429          25234-02      *4
Acrylic   Translucent  Black                                                    0.1875   4.7625         8505K813      
Acrylic   Translucent  Blue                                                     0.1875   4.7625         8505K819      
Acrylic   Translucent  Blue                                                     0.1875   4.7625         8505K919      
Acrylic   Translucent  Bronze                                                   0.1875   4.7625         8505K811      
Acrylic   Transparent  Clear                                                    0.1875   4.7625         8560K211      
Acrylic   Translucent  Green                                                    0.1875   4.7625         8505K815      
Acrylic   Translucent  Grey                                                     0.1875   4.7625         8505K812      
Acrylic   Translucent  Red                                                      0.1875   4.7625         8505K816      
Acrylic   Translucent  White                                                    0.1875   4.7625         8505K817      
Acrylic   Translucent  Yellow                                                   0.1875   4.7625         8505K818      
HDPE      Opaque       Black                                                    0.25     6.35           9785T112      
UHMW      Opaque       Black                                                    0.25     6.35           4296A32       *3
HDPE      Opaque       Black                                                    0.5     12.7            9785T212      *2

I went through the stock and for some of the “exotic” colors/materials I didn’t originally quote, I’ve added a cost multiplier due to the material cost. Multiply the cost of the piece by the *x in the far right column. For anything without a *x, it’s the same cost as in the initial post.

edit: fixed the formatting

@ stevepresley - You have some great offers but we really want to see a summary of all options gathered/cooked in one place, a single page on your website or at least a PDF that we can download. Whatever is easier for you but I think this is very important for all your customers… I am one of them :slight_smile: