Need help (Fez SPIDER)

I have two strange behaviors with my FEZ- Gadgeeter kit.

1 -When I plug it to USB the display starts to blink first white, then red, green and finally blu. (see attached picture).
2 –When I plug it to USB only GHI appears in the first line of display.

In both cases the mainboard doesn’t boot and the PC does not recognize it.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Hi Francesco,

The blinking screen may mean you have the RGB cables in the wrong order. Check to make sure they are in the right order R to R, B to B, G to G.

What do you mean by USB only?

And welcome to the community.

Hi Aron,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortuantely … the RGB cable is in the right order.

I mean that when plug the usb the mainboard start to display GHI on the first line of display and stop the boot.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

What position are the dip switches on the board? They should all be up to be in normal boot mode.

all switch are OFF (normal mode)

What is the power supply that you are using? If powered by USB, is it connected to a powered USB Hub?

I tryed with usb and also with external power AC/DC but always the same problem.

In addition when starting for a millisecond appear :

EMX
Tinybooter Mode
Version 4.1.6.0
Debug USB1
LCS 320X240
Ip 0.0.0.0
Mac 00.00.00…
Managed Heap 1048580
Custom heap size 0

Next the LCD show “GHI” in the first line of LCD an stop working.

Try to Update your firmware to the latest which is available with the latest GHI SDKs.

firmware updated with success but the beaviour is the same.

EMX
 Tinybooter Mode
 Version 4.1.6.0

The device is in the tinybooter mode! Check the configuiration switches are the all up?

If you plug in the Spider on your PC, does it detect the Spider? Can you try to detect the Spider through MFDeploy? Can it Ping? Have you been able to deploy anything to the device at all?

Goodmorning all,

Setup switch are all OFF

If you plug in the Spider on your PC, does it detect the Spider? NO
Can you try to detect the Spider through MFDeploy? Can it Ping? NO
Have you been able to deploy anything to the device at all? NO

PC detect Spider in Loader and Tinybooter mode (via switch configuration)

seems that mainboard start always in Tynibooter mode

I once had similar issue, and what i did is switch the PIN 1 to on position, reset the board and Erased it using MFDeploy… it was being detect as Serial and not USB… for whatever reason… after i did that i re-flashed the firmware and put the switch back to normal and it all worked fine…

not sure why that helped since switching the pin 1 to on by itself is not documented and i’m not sure what it means or does… but it fixed my issue.

Cheers,
Jay.

So the cinfiguration switches are at the default position but it is in the tinybooter mode. There might be two reasons for that:

1. The firmware was not updated correctly so it keeps in the bootloader mode.
  2. there is something wrong with switch number 2. and it is not all the way up ( as indicated in the includded card)

I think it is the first reason.

I suggest that you erase the firmware and the tinybooter manually. and download them again using the FEZ Spider updater. But first, download the latest software package and make sure that all SDKs are installed correctly.

To learn more how to erase manually, take a look at EMX update Wiki:

Hi Jay Jay and Joe. With switch 1 in postion ON the mainboard is not detected by MFdeploy. MFDeploy detect the mainboard if switch 1 and 3 are in ON.

Just to add an information : When set pin 1 and 3 to ON and reset the mainboard it start correctly in Tinybooter Mode.

When put all switch in default position (OFF) and reset the mainboard for a “Millisecond” appear
EMX
Tinybooter Mode
Version 4.1.6.0
Debug USB1
LCS 320X240
Ip 0.0.0.0
Mac 00.00.00…
Managed Heap 1048580
Custom heap size 0

Next the LCD clear the information and show “GHI” in the first line of LCD and the mainboard is not detected by PC.

I tried to reflash the mainbord with latest version available (NEW)GHI NETMF v4.1 and .NET Gadgeteer Package Apr. 23, 2012. FEZ Spider updater show “Update succesfully” both for Tynibooter and Firmware. At end of update start again to show “GHI” on first line of LCD.

Any suggestion from expert and GHI Support is very apprecciate

Guys, I done all the steps detailed on http://wiki.tinyclr.com/index.php?title=Firmware_Update_EMX

All steps complited with “Success” but when the mainboard start again show GHI on the first line of display and PC not recognize it.

Very frustrating

Francesco

please describe your development environment. operating system? are you using a virtual machine?

Hi Mike,

I’m using my PC (No Virtual enviroment). My PC run with Windows 7 SP1 and all the security and suggested hotfix released by Microsoft and available on Windows Update.Run with lastest System Bios available from Lenovo and with the latest drive (my pc run without problem).

All software installed on my PC are Licensed.

I have been installed :

1. Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2010
  2. Microsoft .NET Micro Framework 4.1 SDK
  3. (NEW)GHI NETMF v4.1 and .NET Gadgeteer Package Apr. 23, 2012

Note: I have tried with different PC but the symptom still the same.

feel free to ask more information

I went back and read the thread. I think you have had multiple issues and this is why it was not resolved quickly.

First, you were seeing colors on screen and USB was not detected, this is due to bad power source.

Then the device booted TinyBooter only, no firmware (TinyCLR) and so the jumpers were moved by you or somehow the flash was corrupted.

Then you said you updated all steps and all went fine but then device doesn’t work. But if device didn’t work then how did the update work?!

Here is my suggestion, start from zero and do not make any assumptions. We can step you though it here if you want or call on the phone and point out that Gus from forum said to call.

===========
Step 1: post an picture of how you have the configuration jumper placed
Step 2: use power pack with all steps from now on. 12V is recommended but what do you have?
step 3: do not worry about USB, plug power in and tell us exactly what you see on screen. Or better take a picture.

Great! I thought you might be having a virtualization issue.

Have you tried booting the Spider without the LCD connected? Try going through the firmware load without the LCD, and see if the mainboard is recognized by the PC.

This will help determine if this is a LCD or mainboard issue.