My new module - Bolt v1.0 (Lightning Detector)

It supposed to work indoors too :wink:

@ Architect Put me down for a couple please.

How far away will it detect lightning?

What would create false positives?

Iā€™d be interested, whatā€™s the estimated price?

Whatā€™s involved in setting up an emulator for an end user?

Thanks!

@ sq77

40km radius.

Let me get back to you on that one.

@ mhectorgato

~25 (not final, yet)

Lightning emulator will be open source. I might be bale to offere more, but let me finish it first.

[quote=ā€œArchitectā€]@ mhectorgato

~25 (not final, yet)

Lightning emulator will be open source. I might be bale to offere more, but let me finish it first.
[/quote]

Please, add my name to the growing list!

yeah it has my attention too Architect, +1 me.

Absolutely!

Here is the final design that I am sending to fab.

I have added solder jumpers for two address lines. These two lines control I2C address of the device.

Me likeyā€¦nice work!

What does the antenna look like, or is that up to the user?

Antena is specifically designed for that chip and looks like the one in the attached image

Nice. We have some good thunderstorms going on as I write thisā€¦many close enough that I have no present need for a detector.

OTOH, as I start working my way towards a pilotā€™s license, I can see a pocket lightning detector being a very useful thing to have around. :slight_smile:

Do we need to order the antenna separately and if so do you have any recommendations from where? Iā€™ve been looking at lighting detectors and this is perfect. Like I said put me down for 3 please (the more I think about this module the more I want :))

No, everything will be on the board. I am going to work on my reflow setup while waiting for the PCBs. So I should be ready to make enough for everybody.

ā€œCircuit Inventorā€ - is that your new handle? Nice logo.

Yep! Thanks! :slight_smile:

Architect

Now that is different. How did that come to mind?

@ willgeorge - I have actually started working on a different module. I still have to find sources for two non-electronic parts for it. While working on it I have come across this IC and decided to do that module first.

Sigh - If only we had decent lighning storms over here. All we get is Light rain followed by heavy rain, bit o sun, rain, rain, more rain, some heavy rain, cold, oops there goes summer now for winter to comeā€¦ and have some more rain just in case the reservoir is getting a bit low.

1 Like

We have a lot of storms! In fact last summer a lightning hit a tree in my front yard. We had a light under that tree. The switch is in the house. After the hit that switch was blown away into pieces. Scary stuff.

eek