MakeBread Module v1.0

Small bills in an unmarked envelope. Behind Antonio’s Pizzaria you’ll see a mail slot. Don’t be late. Antonio doesn’t like it when you’re late…

No, really… I’ll send out PayPal info once I get the boards.

MakeBread v1 Lives! Green means it’s a Go 8)

For those that requested one or more of these - kits will be in the mail by Monday at the latest. You’ll see a PayPal email from me if we did not barter something better than cash :slight_smile:

Nice!

And I love the combination of SMD LEDs and header pins. Cool way to demo the module!

When are the paypal notices going out?

Prior to mailing them? Actually, I decided to take the day off, so you may see them today (Friday).

@ devhammer - I got a bunch of those LEDs to build my own model train signalling setup. The header in the picture is the beginning of a test rig. They are reverse mounted, so will sit flush in an opening on a PCB. I saw a (very expensive) signalling system where the PCB for each signal was shaped to look like a real signal. With some kit bashed parts and a little paint, I can do the same thing for much less, and it’s a lot more fun than just plugging in off the shelf stuff.

@ ransomhall

I love that.

Keep us posted on your railroadng stuff. Very interesting.

What is that diode for in series with GND?

@ wouter - an experiment with some very basic circuit protection in the form of a Schottky diode. Breadboarding with a gadgeteer mainboard makes it much easier to cook one’s investment compared to plugging it into a module. The assumption is a module has been designed by somebody who knows what they are doing, but even a seasoned engineer can occasionally short a wire :wink: I made it through hole so a jumper can be soldered in if the diode is not wanted/needed.

I would love any suggestions for a better option. The goal being to protect the mainboard.

[edit] a more subtle psychological purpose behind the diode is to make a user think about what they’re doing before they do it. Obviously, the board won’t work without something soldered in there, so the thought process of “do I need the diode or not” has to occur. This hopefully leads to a more methodical design practice when wiring up a breadboard circuit.

First batch is in the mail. If you don’t see an email from me, let me know (via email) asap. My user name at gmail.

@ Ransom - paid. Did you include the diodes or is this just for the PCBs? THANKS!

pcb, diode, and header pins included. the diode is optional, and will come in handy for other projects if you go with just a jumper on this module.

Looks good. Sent email for next batch if you do one. tia

Looking for input on v2 of this module. I’ll be ordering another batch in the next couple of weeks.

The big question: Schottky diode in or out?

Other suggestions? Keep it simple :wink:

I would only wonder if the diode protection is already in the main board or not.

@ william - i’ll check on that. The other thing to consider is this module may not be used with a mainboard. I’ve used it plugged directly into another module, then breadboarded to other components. Price and design are not an issue. It’s more of a user preference thing.

I’d include it then. Better safe then sorry.

I just realized I don’t really need this as I have an extender module and the size of the extender is not an issue for me yet. tia

Look at these beauties! Thanks again, Ransom!

Your welcome. You do know that part of the deal was making a module of your own, right? :slight_smile: