Is .net mf dead?

It was over a year ago Microsoft released .net mf 4.3. Since then nothing has happened. My company is using ghi products commercially but perhaps we must migrate to another platform since it seems like many of the bugs that resides in .net mf will not ever be resolved. (For instance, the ssl memory leak).

Well, Microsoft has promised to put more resources in NETMF, and GHI is certainly not going to abandon it. So answering your question: no, it’s not dead. Not in active development — yes, but not dead.

Recently someone of MS made ablog entry somewhere, that he will work on NETMF in the near future. Can not remember where exactly, but I think it was discussed here in the Forum.
We have started using NETMF in our Commercial products this year, and so far we do not regret this step.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/netmfteam/archive/2013/10/22/netmf-4-3-document-update-and-issue-fixing.aspx

That was a couple months ago. Since then, no activity, no communication, and no responses to any of the questions raised in the comments on that entry.

A positive indication to be sure, but no visible action yet.

Hmm, was in late October.
If my Wife asks me to do something (on the House or so) it usually takes longer until I start :whistle:

My 2 Cents: Technologies like these only die if something better comes along and people migrate to it. It can take up to 10 years for that to happen. Given that the Phone 8 framework has .netmf as it’s ancestor its OK to say that better will come along, however the skills will be backward compatible. Eventually there may be more languages supporting the .netmf (F# would be a nice one to have), and custom micro controllers designed to work with .netmf.

In short, the .netmf is the direction the industry is heading for the forseeable future.

(or javascript may try to usurp it within a year :slight_smile:

I don’t think that’s accurate. WP8 has WinCE and NETCF as its ancestor. Both existed before NETMF.

@ godefroi, Right correction I meant Phone7.

WinCE => WinCE+NETCF => WP7 => WP8

NETMF was never involved. NETCF has existed since 2002, shortly after the desktop framework was released. NETMF has existed since 2004, when it was called SPOT.

One problem we have is a lack of public success stories of companies making buckets of money using .NetMF or Gadgeteer to help motivate everyone else to jump in. Now this isn’t to say that there aren’t companies making buckets of money with .NetMF or Gadgeteer, as there are, but these companies understand that these are competitive advantage tools and hence treat them like secret weapons and as long as nobody else is using them, they have a huge competitive advantage.

Now perhaps I need to do yet another startup company but this time based on Gadgeteer and .NetMF (Microsoft based technologies have been very very good to me over the years) and make another bucket or two or three of money and prove that Gadgeteer and .NetMF have huge potential for money making killer products (if you want funding in the valley right now it better have a sensor in it or you won’t even get the time of day from VC dudes), but really I’m tired of starting and running businesses as I’ve done it enough times that I have a whole freaking drawer full of t-shirts from successful startups. I love creating and building products (why I got into Gadgeteer as its a creativity tool that blows my mind), but hate business/partners/investors/etc, but maybe once more for old time sakes. So who wants to be a millionaire?

2 Likes

@ Duke Nukem - Count me in :wink:

I am in as well :slight_smile:

Count me in! Especially since it looks like our office pool didn’t win the $636M lotto tonight… :frowning:

1 Like

[quote=“Duke Nukem”]Now perhaps I need to do yet another startup company but this time based on Gadgeteer and .NetMF (Microsoft based technologies have been very very good to me over the years) and make another bucket or two or three of money and prove that Gadgeteer and .NetMF have huge potential for money making killer products (if you want funding in the valley right now it better have a sensor in it or you won’t even get the time of day from VC dudes), but really I’m tired of starting and running businesses as I’ve done it enough times that I have a whole freaking drawer full of t-shirts from successful startups. I love creating and building products (why I got into Gadgeteer as its a creativity tool that blows my mind), but hate business/partners/investors/etc, but maybe once more for old time sakes. So who wants to be a millionaire?
[/quote]

Maybe it’s time for a non-profit startup? :wink:

Doesn’t sound very profitable… :wink:

By German law a non Profit Company (at least if it consist of only one Person) is Hobby (ish) and therfore shut down by the fiscal authorities after a while.

Yes, but a guy became bored of profitable startups. So why not starting a startup that has not got money as the goal no1? :slight_smile:

Well, then it’s good Germany is not the whole world (usually I think otherwise) :slight_smile:

Ultimately the problem is how much people change when a ton of money hits the table.

Last company was a non profit, but that meant big dividend checks every month to disperse the company profits and even that brought out the ugly side of some people.

@ Duke, You’re going to try non-profit or a not for profit?