Introducing the redesigned MakeGPS module

@ Josh - I’ve got boards and parts for a batch of ten. I assembled and tested two this weekend. There is one minor hardware glitch - the onboard FIX LED did not get routed correctly, so no blinking while fixing. This does not have any other negative impact on the board, however. I need to wrap up Skewworks MTK3339 code in a Gadgeteer driver. I ran an Arduino workshop this week, so have not made much progress in the last few days. Hang in there!

Bonus cool - I also get to hook one up to a buddy’s arducopter in the near future (hopefully this weekend) for some really fun testing. We are working out a few last kinks tuning his quad before moving onto trying to receive real time GPS telemetry. This will trump writing a gadgeteer driver for sure.

If you (and others) don’t want to wait for a driver, I can bang out a few and ship them sooner.

Are the trails already marked on something like Google or Bing maps, or would you need to ride around and mark the trails first (or hit waypoints at each intersection as you drive so that it remembers the trails)?

Speaking of waypoints. I built a waypoint recorder using a Panda II that either works on a timer or a tap on the touchscreen. Data goes to a SD card text file formatted to be sucked into Google Earth. I used the Adafruit version of this GPS module, and it was my first prototype of something geographically useful with this hardware. Initial tests were very accurate. The external antenna version of this board should be waiting for me when I get home today, so the delicate parts can be safely tucked away for something like a 4-wheeler adventure, or in my case, a mountain bike ride.

You need to build yourself a HUD into the goggles [not googles] so you don’t get smacked in the face looking down at the display :smiley:

@ ransomhall - I can wait because I probably won’t go riding for another month or so.

@ stevepresley - You can get paper maps of the trails. They even have GPS navigation for ORV trails but where is the fun in that? I want to make something custom and enjoy the process! I would probably just compare my route to maps and mark intersections that way.

@ ianlee74 - I was wearing a http://rzmask.com that saved my face from being scrapped up. The branch hit my goggles first and avoiding the helment protection of the mouth.

Gotchya - was just wondering if there was something we could pre-load for you, or if you’d need to mark the trails by hand as to what the intersections look like. If you get to a “T” and go left, the GPS logger won’t know that there is a “right” option, just that you turned left :wink:

Given that I have a CP7 now and think I have a GPS module in my box from @ ransomhall that I still haven’t opened yet (grumble), I think I may be able to prototype something for you that I’ll be able to re-use in my rover project.

@ stevepresley - Sounds excellent.

@ mhectorgato, @ Duke Nukem, and @ HughB - please send me an email (my alias at gmail), preferably from an address that is associated with your paypal account. You don’t need a paypal account, but it helps w/shipping.

@ ransomhall email sent.

@ Ransomhall, do you need to re-calc the shipping to the UK? i wanted to check before i hit the button for paypal.

@ HughB - No. Shipping price was included in the paypal request.

In general, for all folks outside the US, I assume you want regular USPS first class mail for shipping. Priority or Express are options, but are very pricey, and cannot be tracked outside the US without even more ridiculously expensive cost. Then there are the customs issues discussed in other places here. Since my modules are not for resale, I can avoid most of that cost/hassle. Also, I use stamps.com, which makes shipping via US mail super easy. I can print postage and labels at my house, including overseas customs forms.

Short story - I’ll be sticking with this shipping method for the foreseeable future.

@ Ransomhall. No Problem :slight_smile:

@ Ransomhall, do you have the driver ready? no worries if not.

Patience, young Padawan, patience.

Is it that obvious I’m itching to get it :smiley:

For those that may get their modules before the holiday weekend - I’ll have a beta driver up on Monday. Stay tuned.

The tracking shows that mine is “Out for delivery”

Woohoo!!

According to USPS my local branch just “REFUSED” the package…?!

Doh!

Exactly. I double-check, Eric had all the right shipping info. Made it all the way to my local branch only to be turn away. I’ve left them a voicemail trying to figure out what is going on.