Introducing the redesigned MakeGPS module

Yeah, it was in a separate email from the other links. I didn’t realize this particular one required an external antenna - was just looking for people who had that chip in stock :wink:

Thanks for the help!!

And… they’re sold out already.

Wow! That was fast, I didn’t get a chance to get my order in. The site says 5 to 10 days for the next batch.

me either - added a few other goodies to the cart to save on shipping and by the time i went to check out, they were on backorder. doh!

Gives you an idea of why this GPS is hard to find. It is by far the best bang for the buck that I have seen to date. Yah, you can get more features in others, but they’re pretty fluffy, and the price is almost double.

It’s just not my day … for my other planned project, Sparkfun ran out of a key component this morning as well.

Some “nothing better to do on a Saturday night” news… I’ve been testing the heck out of the breadboard version of the updated circuit for this module today, and have increased my confidence from 95% to 99% that I’ve got the noisy power issue solved. I’ve got a MTK3329 working solidly on Spider, Hydra, and Cerberus. Once I get the first v2 board assembled, I ought to be able to add another 9 to that estimate in short order :slight_smile: Some other good news here: http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/topic?id=6208&page=27#msg81953

I think I’m going to add a uFL jack for an active external antenna on the next rev. Initial reports from a few folks who got one of the new Adafruit breakouts of this GPS are that the external antenna increases sensitivity quite a bit (no surprise really). Turns out the chip is smart enough to recognize the antenna has been attached and automatically switches to using it. Nice!

@ ransomhall sweet and sweet, I can hardly wait as it sounds killer.

Awesome news all around! Can’t wait to start hacking on it!

@ stevepresley - triple post? a little too much coffee and clicking? :slight_smile:

No, I’m getting crazy lag from the board for some reason. I only realize it posted twice, will delete the third.

Boards have arrived. Will start assembling/testing this weekend.

1 Like

Sweeeeeeeeet!!

@ HughB - Don’t get your knickers in a twist. Could you or Justin confirm that is the culturally correct version of “Don’t get your panties in a wad”? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@ ransomhall - lol you are indeed correct - both the Poms and Kiwis use Knickers :slight_smile:

1 Like

LOL yes indeed. :smiley:

a couple for me please!

Definitely let me know when I can order, need a nice Gadgeteer version of that module. :slight_smile:

I want to use one of these to record my coordinates as I ride through the trails in Northern Michigan on a fourwheeler. The end goal would be able to punch in a desitation and as I ride the trail a screen shows an arrow when I reach an intersection.

Let me share a little story with you… I was riding going really fast through dusty trails could only see about 6 feet in front of me. We were all sort of racing. Little did I know the trail came to a T intersection. At the last minute I slammed my breaks on shooting off into the woods managing not to hit any big trees. I did however hit a dead log on the ground and a tree branch slashed my googles and facemask. If I had a screen I could of glanced down at with the next intersection type shown I might have reacted different lol. Needless to say, I’ve commited that spot to memory!

I want to make a crude GPS navigation I can mount on my fourwheeler. Maybe something similar to what Skewworks did by having a map and calculations. I’m going riding again this weekend and it’s too bad I don’t have one of these yet!