Introducing the newest member to the Octavo Systems Family!

I’ve imported the Eagle Library parts into Altium and cleaning them up a bit to make it easier to use in Altium and then I plan to lay out my existing G400 based board with the parts I can get from the distributors as there is nothing complex with this device compared to building a board based on a standard Cortex board and all of the headaches of high speed layout etc. Other than being BGA there is not a lot of difficulty with it that I can see and even the BGA is not low pitch. 0.8 is easy to work with.

I just need to sort out what is needed on the software side to make this work.

@ Gus - if your working on the software aspect, then no worries. release as beta. if your working on the hardware; then well wait. I also plan to get the jtag debugger so i can compile my own kernal if needs be. so waiting for software perfections might be overekill anyways.

@ Mr. John Smith - It’s a combination of both hardware and software

Dave, what do you mean?

Coding and debugging from Windows 10.

I am thinking that the Visual GDB might work if I install Debian onto it.

I put this image on a uSD card, and flashed the eMMC.
“BBB-blank-debian-8.4-lxqt-4gb-armhf-2016-05-13-4gb.img.xz”
which I got from BBB site here:
http://debian.beagleboard.org/images/

after flashing and the usual:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

Visual GDB works just fine from win10

3 Likes

Like ? something other than Debian or Angstrom ?

@ Designer - Given the abilities of the BBB, I wouldn’t be surprised if GHI turned out an entirely new OS based on the .net framework capable of running universal apps; which has little to do with linux as we know it.

@ Mr. John Smith - [quote]I wouldn’t be surprised if GHI turned out an entirely new OS based on the .net framework capable of running universal apps;[/quote]

Now wouldn’t that be nice. Gus, please confirm! :smiley:

@ Mr. John Smith - I would not hold my breath. GHI doesn’t have the time or the expertise.

Spam huh? Upped your points by trivial posts to be able to get this link posted did you?

If you tell me this is not SPAM then explain why it is in this forum? It has nothing to do with the main title does it?

Your favourite link is also the same company for this printer.

I am tempted to mark this as spam and if others agree your account and your post will be deleted.

4 Likes

We have full Linux running with the capacitive display. Browser, video playback… And everything else!

5 Likes

Thanks for the update, now open the pre-orders :wink:

2 Likes

Will the JTAG connector use a shrouded header on the production boards ? will make it easy for folks to plug in the cable or POD.

@ Gus - its time for video walkthrough of The dev board!

1 Like

I spotted a schematic for the dev board this morning. A quick glance through and it’s pretty much close to the BBB reference design. Much the same as I am working on for my data logger. :slight_smile:

Is this just another RPi type Linux on arm thing. Or are we going to get GHI firmware updates and be able to run .netmf code on it or something. Because to be honest, I’ve always been terrified of deploying and servicing a Linux device for anytime longer than a year. Now if it was certified for win10 IOT with the full .net Lib, That would be a different story.

why is that if you dont mind me asking ?

There is the entire beaglebone system behind these products but we are researching ways to make this a FEZ experience.

The thought of fixing 3 years later. A lot of these Linux systems come and go and so does the support for that product. I hate trying to revive 3 year old Linux mail and intranet servers. You can’t seem to go to the latest builds without ruining the intended look, feel and function of the original deployment. more layers for me has always resulted in more things going wrong.