Interesting :)

He wanted to give you the D ? :whistle:

Just beyond the beach. :-))

1 Like

the Intel sharks Cove board… looks like Gadgeteer sockets to me:

Cheers,
Jay.

Compared to the USB port, those are way to big. Looks more like those USB header ports you find on regular motherboards.

Now open for signup ;D

WTH. They are asking if you have experience with Arduino, BeagleBone Black, or SparkIO. Guess they don’t care if you have experience with Gadgeteer, Netduino, or any other .NET MF. Strange. I don’t know if that is an oversight or a clue.

1 Like

He used VS.Net and C++ on the demo from the Build video. Same syntax as Arduino and those other platforms. Guess they want to recruit new programmers from other platforms.

WTF, who wrote this?

Which dev boards have you used in projects?

Arduino

Raspberry Pi

Spark IO

Beaglebone Black

Where the freak is Gadgeteer (or even Netduino)??? If you have been using Gadgeteer it indicates that you have likely completed 5x more projects then those other choices.

Next trip to Redmond is definitely including some ass kicking time in my schedule.

4 Likes

And when you’re there, could you please try to find out whether this whole Windows for Devices stuff is more than a “Google 20% project”, started by IT guys who have never done any embedded projects?

2 Likes

Do you think they even realize that Spark == Arduino ?

1 Like

@ Cuno I can tell you that Microsoft has always had people interested in and working on IoT, embedded devices, etc. For example in 2004 I got on the wrong bus one morning to campus and found myself on a bus literally filled with rocket scientists visiting Microsoft to work on embedded devices etc for satellites. The problem that Microsoft and everyone has had is how to monetize this, but they have always believed that one day it will happen, so the work has continued on (but maybe not at break neck speed, but never stopped either). Microsoft has been able to monetize embedded devices on the larger end of the device spectrum and so those guys get the love, but I’m sure you are aware how difficult it still is to hit on the small device end of the spectrum. Things change when you get to the small end of devices, for example you run into non-traditional IT players like Black and Decker so the question for Microsoft, Google and all the other IT players is where do they fit in on small devices. For Microsoft Azure is a definite service they can provide, but is .NetMF for example workable? We have discussion threads here that highlight concerns around using .NetMF and CPU and Memory requirements here. Certainly our good friend Gordon Moore is helping us and the question is can power and memory costs go down fast enough in terms of both $$ and power requirements to make .NetMF a viable player for small devices. Those are some of the physical realities, but for me Gadgeteer is a viable and needed step to address the lack of software developers in this device space. I think Niklaus Wirth would agree with me that software development in general is not in a healthy spot right now and especially for small device development. We have gotten fat, lazy and stupid (and I’m no exception) when it comes to coding and software design and each one of these is fatal to small device development. Do schools even teach ‘compiled’ languages to students anymore? Are things like algorithms and efficiency covered in modern curriculum? It seems that most of the people I meet working in this area tend to be older and remember cutting code in a compiled language like C and likely have cut assembler code and are very cognisant of CPU cycles and memory usage, for coders today it is all about frameworks and how many you can stuff into a project (or so it seems). Gadgeteer is best the entry vehicle for modern software developers into small device development and to introduce them to the issues, but it is a product that seems to have a hard time getting any loving from Microsoft except from a few people (mind you they are rather brilliant folks so what they lack in numbers they tend to make up in shear IQ). Of course this lack of love isn’t to be unexpected as its really up to the community to prove the value to Microsoft, its just how a business works.

3 Likes