GHI's tool to replace MFDeploy

@ Brett - Again, it’s only because of the docs. Maybe I should stop reading documentation;-)

See here: https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/54/firmware-update-emx

It tells me this: “If you are using a FEZ Spider and plan on using it in a Gadgeteer project, you must rename the USB name for Visual Studio to properly see the device for deployment. In MFDeploy, go to “Target->Configuration->USB Name”. Here, you must set the USB Friendly Name to Gadgeteer. Click Apply. If you are updating a FEZ Spider, at this point you should put the on-board switches back to “Default” mode.”

So does this mean it is currently not possible to change the USB name after upgrading the firmware to NETMF 4.3?

I’m not sure if that comment is still relevant, only GHI (or someone with a spider, which I don’t) could authoritatively comment.

@ candritzky - we change the name automatically in this tool.

@ Brett - I am someone with a spider. I can confirm that it still works from VS2012 with the default USB device name (EMX_EMX). So the docs should be updated.

@ candritzky - yes it does work but you have to select it in deploying options. The gadgeteer name just makes it a bit easier for beginners.

@ candritzky -

Here, you must set the USB Friendly Name to Gadgeteer.

I did that when I got my Spider and everything worked. Somewhere along the line it got changed to EMX. I did NOT change it from Gadgeteer.

MFDeploy, FEZ Config, VS2010 and 2012 for Windows Desktop see it as:
Device USB EMX_EMX.

Friendly name as EMX

@ candritzky - I’ve added a brief comments to the emx firmware page regards FEZ Config automatically doing the rename step. Thanks for pointing out the omission.

@ Gus - hi ! I just received a card Fez panda-II, and I want to update the firmeware card to version 2, to do this I must have tool Fez-config but unfortunately I do not have on my computer even after you install the package GHIs-electronics and there I searched the net and I came across this discution gave me MFDeploy tool
I wonder as well, is that this tool can help me to update the firmeware card panda-2

@ Adil - Welcome to the forum!

Make sure you have this SDK installed for Panda II

https://www.ghielectronics.com/support/netmf/sdk/5/netmf-premium-package-2012-r0

It has tools to update the board as well.

1 Like

@ Architect -
oh thanks…I just find it on the net, the tool is called USBizi-updater and not Fez-config
apparently, I met another trick: is it necessary to update the firmeware before using the card if i have firmeware version 4.1.8.0 according to USBizi-updater ?
cordially.

If firmware is the same as the one that comes with the SDK, then you don’t need to update.

@ Architect -
how can i konw the version of SDK , is it 4.1 ? if it’s right so what shoud i do?

You should be good. It is in the release notes document, that is located in your installation folder.

Here it is:

• USBizi (FEZ Mini, FEZ Domino, FEZ Rhino, FEZ Panda) V 4.1.8.0
• EMX (FEZ Cobra) V 4.1.8.0, TinyBooter V 4.1.6.0
• ChipworkX V 4.1.8.0 TinyBooter V 4.1.5.1
• GHI NETMF Library V 4.1.8.0

So you have the latest.

@ Architect -

very good ! now i can start…

cordially V

Great! Enjoy your Panda II ! It is one of my favorite boards.