GHI's tool to replace MFDeploy

Give me a screenshot so it is easier for us, please…

What do you mean? We need a little bit clearly more :)?

@ Dat, I think @ Willgeorge means that the NAME of “Erase” doesn’t match “Application Deployment”. He thinks that App deployment is creating rather than erasing. I personally think that the reason the Erase button should be there needs explaining - i.e. erase your device first to ensure correct deployment (or whatever reason it is suggested) - or just having a single button that forces the erase and then the deployment of the app.

I’ve encountered some issues in the tool with the network configuration
when setting the network setting - interface1 after the change the device is inaccessible - no ping.
when changing in the code all works fine and I have the ping

_ethernet.NetworkInterface.EnableStaticIP("10.0.0.1","255.255.255.0","10.0.0.1");

(_ethernet is of type EthernetBuilltIn)

in addition after I changed in the code and things worked ok, if I changed again via GHI tool in the code when getting the IP it is 0.0.0.0

_ethernet.NetworkInterface.IPAddress /// this is 0.0.0.0

any ideas? what may cause this? how to fix this?
I am using spider.

@ Devloper123 -

[quote]when setting the network setting - interface1 after the change the device is inaccessible - no ping.
when changing in the code all works fine and I have the ping [/quote] => what field did you change? IP address, gateway, subnet…???

[quote]if I changed again via GHI tool in the code when getting the IP it is 0.0.0.0 [/quote] => what field did you change for the second time?
After you changed it, disconnect spider, reset tool (close then re-open the tool), load config again, does the tool show these values correctly?

We are on the way to collect all feedbacks of this tool, so, please share any issue that you see then we will consider it.

After Investigation the tool works ok,
the problem is that after updating the network configuration with the tool then the

_ethernet = new EthernetBuiltIn();
            _ethernet.Open();
            var ip = _ethernet.NetworkInterface.IPAddress;

the ethernet.NetworkInterface.IPAddress as well as the other properties of the networkInterface in initialized 0.0.0.0

and since I had this code:

_ethernet.NetworkInterface.EnableStaticIP(_ethernet.NetworkInterface.IPAddress,
                                                              _ethernet.NetworkInterface.SubnetMask,
                                                              _ethernet.NetworkInterface.GatewayAddress);

it would always fail
I removed this line of code and seems to work ok. but wanted to verify this is ok and not needed.

In addition, I am using the ehternetBuiltIn and I do not initialize an instance of Ethernet_J11d (although I’m using that module)
is this the proper usage?
if yes there’s seems to be a bug either in the tool / in the EthernetBuiltIn Class.
thanks!

Jeez, I’m so glad mfdeploy is going to be replaced by something that (hopefully) works!..

A few notes from me:

[ul]
I really miss Debug output screen from MFDeploy; will it be added?
Connection windows that is visible always would really be useful: as I switch now between Visual Studio/mfdeploy/The Tool, I constantly find myself going to “Connection” screen and connecting to the EMX board from there. There’s a global “Disconnect” button, so why not adding a global “Connect” button?
What about a short and easy name? :slight_smile: “GHI .NET Micro configuration tool” is a bit difficult to use in conversations…
I would suggest to use less MessageBox’es, popping (and beeping) after clicking pretty much any button. It’s kind of annoying. MessageBox’es are good to warn about some really dangerous actions; but hey, this is low-lowel configuration tool — everything is dangerous there! Anyone running this program should be aware of the consequences. Ask for confirmations for “Erase” and “Deploy” buttons, and certainly don’t pop those boxes after succesful action.
UI experience should be improved for lengthy tasks (like creating hex images). Some progress bar added or something.
What about signing firmware images?[/ul]

Hello, I have a Cobra II device and I am trying to get the MAC Address for the device. When I load the Network Configurations from NETMF Configuration Tool, I find 3 networks and I dont understand what are those? Which one should I use?

Welcome to the forum!

Can you please take a screenshot and post it here?

Attached are the snapshots.

Is this the right way to check the MAC Address? Is there anything else I can do to check that?

Hi
is there a way to connect to the device via Serial.
in MF deploy you had the option to select the connection interface.
in the config I cannot find how to connect via serial.
I’m using the USB for KBE so my debuggin interface is serial
(using spider)
thanks

Good point on serial support.

Andre - what do the two other network interfaces represent?

we covered this many times but will make clearer in the tool

1. internal ethernet
  2. external ethernet ENC28
  3. wifi

Sorry Gus, I was too lazy to search! I was hoping andre could provide a quick answer.

So, is a beta version planned anytime soon?

Yes, downloadable. With “Alpha version” written in the upper right corner…

This tool is crashing on me, when I try to update a spider from .NET 4.1.

The error is…

“Value of ‘501’ is not valid for ‘Value’. ‘Value’ should be between ‘minimum’ and ‘maximum’.\r\nParameter name: Value”

…and it seems to happen a couple seconds after the progress bar gets all the way to the right of the window during the Erase step.

MSDEV says the culprit is:

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
   at GHI_NETMF_TinyConfiguration_tool.Updater.Updater.SetProgressBar(Int32 value, Int32 max, String tilte)
   at GHI_NETMF_TinyConfiguration_tool.Updater.Updater.LoadTinyBooter(TinyConfiguaration tinyconfiguaration)
   at GHI_NETMF_TinyConfiguration_tool.Updater.Spider.SpiderForm_Step3.MyThreadUpdate()
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean ignoreSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

edit: and this seems to have bricked my Spider. :frowning:

Device manager shows only “GHI Boot Loader Interface (COM7)”. MFDeploy doesn’t see the Spider, nor does this new tool. MSDEV doesn’t either. Switches are all back to normal (all up)…

The page at http://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/54/firmware-update-emx looks like it’s got some typos and I’m not sure how to follow what it says for a Spider…

Any tips on how to revive it and get it up to 4.2 or whatever we’re supposed to be using now?

The tool does not update tinybooter. Once you update it manually then you can use this tool with no issues.

How can I use this tool to change the device’s USB name?

Um, personally, can I suggest you don’t? Is there a reason you want to do this?