Galileo first impressions

The vocabulary coming out of my mouth would probably make a State Trooper blush…

So far it’s been over 30 mins and still no blinky light demo…

Maybe I’m technically challenged but $%*^ me…

@ Justin - how difficult can it be? It’s Arduino.

1 Like

May be you have to stick the green 3mm LED into your a… sorry
meant solder it somewhere :think:

Right…

I have stopped swearing…

Maybe i’m not the target market as i dont have a ponytail and wear Sandals and have a pocket protector…(no offence Mike)…

To me IoT it is not…

Takes 2 mins to boot…
You need to talk to it over Ethernet
Runs hot enough to cook your eggs
You need to Telnet into it to turn it off!!!
Is only C++ wiring at the moment

But hey - i finally got it to blink an LED…

1 Like

And yet Microsoft is shipping this instead of their own netmf and gadgeteer :frowning:

2 Likes

If you’ve struggled, there’s little hope for mere mortals.

Is there a word for “Not too impressed so far!”? :think:

It sure does seem like a huge amount of silicon for something a 555 did 30+ years ago :smiley:

@ Jason - yeah, dont think i am allowed to say it on here…
@ Gus - exactly…i will be having a rant in Cambridge this week…

First few points…

RTFM
Tick all the boxes in Firewall to allow it thru
Remember the username and password to upload is not yours…

It’s just NOWHERE near as easy as NETMF…

1 Like

@ Justin - I do not have enough hair left for a ponytail!

I suspect it’s a case of the marketeers talking rather than the Engineers.

IoT can mean anything to anyone. Hell, my laptop is IoT. This is IoT so long as the T=electric frying pan.

I guess the important comparison is stuff like RasPi and BBB.

@ Mike - ::slight_smile:

@ hagster - too true…

I’m am nearly annoyed enough to build a board that i think would be a much better experience…

Finished the marketing already

:whistle:

7 Likes

I think this quote (yeah, lets say the whole thread) should go to the pm Justin knows…

Its really hard to understand.

I could run on for hours on how bad this board is … And how frustrated it made me, it is wrong for Intel to have marketed it as arduino compliant as they have. Most people try to over clock processors, i think it’s a first where I’ve found a processor engineered to do the opposite, io is really slow and the Ethernet comms is just not useable in the real world. I would suggest Microsoft tries one before they endorse this???

I have been thinking. In fact this board makes a really good case for netmf.

I’m hopefully getting my Galileo tomorrow. I admit I did the “oh why oh why” when I read in the documentation to shut down the board you needed to open telnet session and issue a shut down command otherwise next time the board boots it does a “check disk”.

I am interested to compare the i/o performance with other boards.

I’m of the opinion that .netmf and gadgeteer are superior a product in their catagory. Just wish the “powers of be” recognize what they have for ioT.

@ njbuch - no no no no no…

this is a PC…run full netmf…

netmf is for microcontrollers…

of course this is my humble opinion…

@ Justin - interesting discussion. Galileo is marketed as an Arduino clone that runs some windows version. People will be frustrated and throw it out of the window.

And those who don’t give up, but needs something sophisticated will find netmf.

Furthermore. Microsoft might understand that the micros are cool without running windows but still running an ms thing.

???

@ kiwi_stu. If it’s not the slowest I would be surprised. But when you have done this try a simple Ethernet sketch. IOT is based on communication! when I tried to stream some sensor data the client.available function takes nearly 10 seconds to return on every scan. I pretty certain when I started realising this board was not what it says on the box that there is a blog out there where someone has done io comparisons, but not with .netmf!

Personally i think the Galileo doesn’t really fit into any camp that i want to visit at the moment.

It’s not a low powered micro controller and it’s not a powerful Micro processor…

It sort of falls in no mans land to me…

Again personally NETMF on microcontrollers is more appealing and dare i say it, if i want more then some sort of Android device would possibly be a choice.

But take this with a grain of salt…I have only spent limited time with it and i am sure it will be good at certain things…

And remember low powered C# is my current cuppa Tea…

Wise words. Beware those that make definative and unqualified statements. That said Intel and MS have there work cut out in communicating what this board is for. It probably suits something very well, but what.

2 minutes to boot? What is boot? My slate “boots” in 8 seconds. If that was in a UAV and a fault requiring a restart happened; the thing would be in flames on the ground before that that “booted” back up.