Galileo first impressions

My custom built Android system with a Dual Core Cortex A7 boots in 40 seconds from full off. That is acceptable for the type of devices I am using this for.

For embedded systems you need it to boot in seconds, not minutes.

Imaging this as a dash mounted display in a car?

Can it go into a low power mode and do instant on, in the same way tablets or phones do. My Android system can do this and even when running on battery it can last for days.

I haven’t heard from MS on my shipment but after reading this I might be better off not getting one.

:slight_smile:

Car manufacturers (like a well known 3 lettered Bavarian one) requires any device to consume only 30 micro Amps or less, when in sleep mode ( don’t nail me down on the exact number).
This started as they had a problem when a quite expensive car ran out of battery just after one week in the garage.
Not sure if this is easily possible when using sleep/hibernation mode.

1 Like

I’m beginning to think the same thing :frowning:

News flash: the IoT will not run Windows. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming…

For a company that does so many things right, Microsoft has managed to hit the toilet dead center with a big stinky one which is even more amazing given they had a potential massive hit with Gadgeteer (which is looking freaking brilliant in comparison right about now). They have once again managed to steal defeat from the jaws of victory. There will be some butt kicking coming on when I visit Redmond in early November and there might be a couple of folks who might want to take vacation about that time. I watched Steve Teixeira at Solid and really wondered what Galileo could do that Gadgeteer couldn’t do x years ago. I’ve had Gadgeteer devices that have been puking data up to Azure for a long time now and even posted samples to Code Share etc. As for that front end, yawn, been there like forever, wore out the t-shirt. I’m pretty sure the only reason some of these guys think Galileo is impressive is because they never saw Gadgeteer.

8 Likes

As you are one of the guys with relations to Microsoft, the heat is on you now.

Please do something :open_mouth:

@ Duke Nukem - should we warn the canteen at redmond to remove the forks before you arrive?

1 Like

Yes, and perhaps put pitchforks there instead!

I have heard that there are some rumbling with Microsoft about reacquiring the rights to Xenix.

Source?

@ njbuch - comedycentral.com

2 Likes

[quote=“HughB”] should we warn the canteen at redmond to remove the forks before you arrive?[/quote]When I travel I brink my own spork so I’m ready to start the revolution at any time and being a tree hugger I believe that torches are bad for the environment but I have a very bright LED solar charged flashlight.

I don’t think its any secret that I’m a huge believer in Gadgeteer and have worked to promote it because I believe that Gadgeteer is the right balance between hardware and software to enable everyone to work with it. Its the middle ground that both side can get to. Galileo certainly isn’t that (I’m not sure either side can get to it) and to be fair I’ve had some IoT guys tell me to step back from the big red launch button and suggest that Galileo isn’t for end devices as that is the land of .NetMF (but they didn’t mention Gadgeteer which still made me put the crosshairs on them being the traitorous bastards they are), but Galileo is better suited to an aggregator role, which seems to make sense given Azure wants to be a big part of the IoT craze and has money to burn on things like giving away free hardware (can you imagine how big Gadgeteer would be if Microsoft seeded the market with free Gadgeteer as to my mind the only thing that has held Gadgeteer back has been is that no one knows about it (even in Microsoft) and perhaps the ‘I’ve built a really cool functional prototype, now what’ step but that just isn’t a Gadgeteer problem as that is a manufacturing problem). Perhaps this is the first phase of Microsoft’s take over of IoT, I’ve built a cool aggregator, got a cool data collector in Azure, built an app that allows me to view that data, now I only have to get data, enter Gadgeteer. Seems like a backwards way to do things, but long ago I learned that when doing startups its not ready, aim, fire, but fire, aim, ready, but I would have hoped that Microsoft was beyond that and given Gadgeteer is already in the bag, why not just promote it, just even a little bit so they could hit the IoT market from both sides.

Now for full disclosure I own shares in Microsoft and Intel and certainly ARM is beating Intel like a rented mule in all sorts of growing markets, and I’d love to see Intel get off their butt and get into IoT,but this just lacks credibility because of the lack of focus so I still think its time to sharpen up the spork.

1 Like

That quote alone is pure gold. I spurted Tea all over the patio when I read that. I’m going to have to try and get that quote into my next meeting.

How many Microsoft shares one has to own to get an occasional possiblity to kick a few asses?..

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/do-it-yourself/galileo-maker-quark-board.html

EDIT:
@ Gus - think about making 50.000 G120 based educational boards?

Either that or buy some mules to rent out! ;D

1 Like

Priceless quote ! ;D

I really, really though that Galileo would be a supped up version of Gadgeteer. To know that it’s just a netbook is really disappointing.

Also, Microsoft isn’t going to market a product that they give away for free. I’d say that those boards which they are giving away is running something like windows CE, or XP Embedded.

After reading this thread, I think they may have to give them away.

Just listened to the latest DotNetRocks podcast where they interviewed an MS guy running the IoT programme. Seems to me that they pushed it out the door a little early. To me this is just wasting people’s time on a massive scale. Lots of talk and comparisons to netduino.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/dnr/dotnetrocks_1019_internet_of_things.mp3