G30 Design Project

Walk away from this industry now, if Chinese products concern you. No matter what, the best supported component from 4dSystems or Newhaven, you’re still coming from China. It’s just not representative of a problem… it’s all about support from the vendor and how strict they are on supporting standards and maintaining aspects of their design. I have full expectation that an ILI9341 based LCD will work no matter what supplier you bought that part from. It’s likely that there’s one factory that is churning the same part for many different suppliers, or at least there are multiple factories building from the same master plan.

@ Brett - Let me rephrase my wording. We have had bad experiences with the reliability of parts sourced from China. That being said, I would still use a display from China if it has been proven reliable.

still doesn’t matter - it’s about after sales service too (and ultimately it’s you supporting your end customer). If Newhaven et al offer great support after-the-fact, great. If some cheap factory means you can buy 3x the quantity and they all look / act the same, and you can send replacement to your customers (or give them a spare), it still works. Most of the things I see (as a “typical” prosumer) are of a level that there’s no question they’ll work as reliably in normal circumstances and my own level of abuse as any other higher end part, plus I can replace it if I need. Me buying 5x 2.8" displays for under $50 when I know i need one for a project and two for development still works out cheap

@ Brett - In these circumstances, a part failing and needing a replacement sent to a customer is not acceptable. We pride ourselves in producing some of the best products in the world. That is what I am getting at. The systems we are creating are too complex for customers to just put a spare part in. If they open it the warranty is voided because they always screw it up. We uphold quality over quantity so if you have any advice on finding top of the line parts (500-1000+ ct bulk orders), please let me know.

@ hwalker_MIWV - How can you produce a quality product with a 1 week timeframe?

1 Like

Just seems like you have to go further to buy a reputable display from Newhaven or someone similar, via Digikey/Mouser etc, if that’s what you want. It’s just not at a point many of us here will have purchased though so you’re likely on your own when it comes to drivers etc. For example, there’s no point me testing my touch driver from my $10 Aliexpress/eBay display for you since there’s not much hope whatever you find will be the same or even close

@ Brett - A Newhaven display from digikey is definitely the route I need to take.

@ Mr. John Smith - I am in the process of figuring this out myself. Quite an unreasonable deadline but that is the hand I have been dealt.

Can someone please explain to me which pins are needed for the micro USB debugging? These are separate from the COM1 pins correct? In the datasheet I am not sure which pins correspond to the “Micro USB Client,” port.

@ hwalker_MIWV -

See the G30 developer board schematic for information:

https://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/schematic/G30_Dev_Board_SCH.pdf

@ willgeorge - Thank you! I have been looking for that schematic for weeks I was told there was not one.

On that schematic, in the section titled “User IO’s,” it states that pin 31 is “USB Detect.” However, in the datasheet it says pin 31 is a ground pin. Can anyone offer some clarification?

I was able to find a snip of code related to NETMF GPIB control. Not sure what to make of this. Any thoughts?

[url]GPIBControllerService.cs | searchcode

@ hwalker_MIWV - I would be interested in your thoughts. Do you see any issues with that code?

@ Mike - I think that’s for a different board actually, not the 7210 so probably not helpful. I have someone helping me write code for a virtual parallel port on the G30 but if my simulation is too slow I will have to think of other options. One fallback I am considering is a GPIB to Ethernet converter. I found some online for $200 but could reverse engineer one and make it for cheap since we have the equipment here to do so. Would that work with the G30? Just use an Ethernet module like on the dev board but convert that to a GPIB port? Or would NETMF be too slow for this? My last fallback is to scrap NETMF and learn C / use a PIC controller. Definitely do not want to go with the last option if avoidable because that would take the most time.

you’re confusing two separate things. Look at the “USB Debug” section of the schematic. USB.DETECT is simply a signal that can tell you if there is USB power connected, as it’s connected via pulldown to GND and will go high when 5v is present from the USB-VBUS line (when you connect to a USB port supplying power). Pin 31 on the “User IOs” section is just pin 31 on that header; it is not pin 31 on the chip. Pin 31 on the chip on the schematic says “VCAP_1”.

@ hwalker_MIWV - Given your timeframe, learning C, and the PIC, could be a challenge.

The code you showed “appears” to be MF, but it had a using for generics, and a reference to the NI library. I doubt NI has a MF library.

You could use a GPIB to ethernet adapter. There are also GPIB to USB adapters, but you would have to go to a G80 for that support.

There are three variables for getting a project done on a tight time schedule; time, skills and money. You appear to have have the required background to get the necessary skills given enough time. Your missing skills can be compensated for by spending money and hiring the skills. I think need to sit down and scope out what you need to get the project done, and go to your management. If they will not listen to reason, then you need to be somewhere else.

@ Mike - Why would a G80 be needed? We could definitely use that if need be. I am about to create a simulation of a parallel port on the G30 to check if MF is fast enough. Does MF have a library for Ethernet capabilities or would I have to write my own driver? Otherwise that may complicate things too much.

I have a GPIB master helping me with creating a parallel port on the G30 pins for free so all is not lost in regards to the skills I am lacking. I just need to be able to piece it all together.

However, I would definitely like to be somewhere else, want to hire me? I can do anything and will relocate anywhere ;D The social dynamics of this position are sub par to say the very least which is the only thing I do not like - it makes it a very unstable position.

@ hwalker_MIWV -

No, I checked the G30 specification sheet, and it no networking.

@ Mike - The G30 dev board has an ethernet port on it though. What am I missing?

I don’t have a G30 development board, but networking is discussed on page 10 of the G30 specification.

You can use the G30 development board as the basis for ethernet support. Usually, the interface to a ethernet board with an IP stack is simple. Not much of a driver is needed.

this might also help:

https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=24124&page=2#msg227661

@ Mike - Do you think it would be easier to do GPIB to ethernet or create a virtual parallel port with the G30 pins to interface with the GPIB? I know the latter is going to be quite difficult but I do have someone to help guide me.