G30 Design Project

@ Mr. John Smith - I definitely need some help on this one.

I already have C# .Net code that talks to the GPIB and 7210 can’t I use this with .Netmf? Check it out:

[url]Multithreaded Communication for GPIB/Visa/Serial Interfaces - CodeProject

GHI provides a class for reading and writing directly to registers. This can be used for setting multiple output bits at the same time.

You can NOT use regular .NET DLLs with the Micro Framework.

What kind of a timeframe do you have for your commercial product development?

@ Mike - What is the class called? I do not know GPIB protocols on that low of a level this is going to be rough.

Register?

I suggest you scan the GHI and Microsoft MF libraries to become familiar with the available APIs.

It appears that you are doing a very challenging project, on a small board, with minimal MF knowledge. Unless you have a lot of time to learn MF and gain the necessary experience to complete your project, you might want to consider getting someone with more experience involved.

Well I have basically everything set up except the GPIB part. I drew a schematic with the entire pinout of the whole system. I have an electrical engineer doing my hardware I just have to select hardware and software interfaces but hes doing all of the voltage matching parts and all. I have the motor driver set up and ready to go and I understand all of the voltage high/low logic states. This post is me involving other people with more embedded design experience as hiring someone else is not an option.

@ Mike - I am allowed to select a G80 if need be but the old version was done on a 40 pin of much less capacity that is 20 years out of date. The G30 is more than enough for this project and will save tens of thousands of $ over the next year by the reduced cost. Thankfully someone on this thread has already created the exact same system and has helped me thus far. He just doesn’t know the GPIB part.

I also need help setting up the USB interface on the G30 if anyone has code for that already.

What specific USB capability? The G30 is limited in it’s USB support.

Check the Documents section under Support for USB information.

@ Mike - Basically I just need to deploy my applications and send simple strings via a MicroUSB or USB Port to the G30.

You could use CDC, assuming G30 supports it. Would require moving debugging/deployment to serial port. Look at USB info in support/documents.

Or use an FTDI, CP2102 USB to SERIAL IC and connect this to one of the UARTS on the G30. It just works and no need for any drivers.

If you have no experience of GPIB then this is going to be steep learning curve for you. There is little chance you will find any C# NETMF code so you are left with rolling your own. I would start with hooking the IC to the G30 and writing a driver to read and write the registers. Once this is working you can likely port existing C code as you no longer need to rely on the low level parts that talk to the IC. It’s still going to be a slow project. Hope you have enough time on this. :slight_smile:

@ Dave McLaughlin - I only have about a week to do this. Would it be easier to go the route you suggested for USB interface or use CDC (not sure what CDC means).

What pins are primarily used for deployment/debugging on the G30? Kind of confused on this part…I assume pins 1 to 7 are important for this and maybe pin 50 but I am quite lost on the function of these pins if someone could please elaborate.

@ hwalker_MIWV - I told you where to find information about CDC. If you are not reading documentation, and have a week to get it done, good luck.

@ hwalker_MIWV - you may want to consider hiring GHI or one of the community experts to help you get things done quickly. While NETMF is easy, learning NETMF and completing a project in a week can be difficult.

@ Gus - Shoot me an email for a price on NI 7210 / G30 interfacing. I think that’s the main part I need help with.

hwalker@ miwv.com

@ hwalker_MIWV - you will get a reply from Greg. But, there is no way this can be done in a week, by anyone! :slight_smile:

@ Gus - A week would be ideal. 2 weeks more realistic. 4 weeks I may not have a job!

If your employer know an engineer than can do this in a week or 2 then I would love to meet that person :slight_smile: Between PCB and code, this is well over 4 weeks of work.

@ Gus - They are pretty ruthless here, hence why I am frantically posting on here for help. I have someone taking care of the PCB I just need to give him a rough schematic. The code is all up to me though…everything should be pretty simple besides the GPIB part.

I need to get the display part polished off too. How reliable are these G30 dev board displays? A pre-configured GHI display will save me a lot of time for the first version but Chinese products concern me deeply.