First ever .NET Gadgeteer contest

This is my entry for the Gadgeteer Piezo Competition.

I know I sound drunk, and “slurry” but i’m not… :slight_smile: Just concentrating really hard… :-[

It consists of a PIC12F1822, a BC117 PNP transistor and a piezo module.

The sound is a sine wave modulated onto a 100KHz PWM signal.

The module interfaces via I2C, can buffer 8 notes and will request more notes when a set number of notes remain in the buffer. A Note consists of 4 bytes, one for the duration(time scale settable via a register), two bytes for the frequency, and one byte for the volume of the note.

Parts cost, without the header and PCB is $1.44, in 100s from Digikey.

Still no video :frowning:

Up now. I have really slow upload rates… :slight_smile:

Much better now. Pretty cool!

@ errol - is your demo song the star wars imperial march? Seems everybody went SW on the demo! hah!

Great job, everyone!

@ ransomhall,
Yeah, must I don’t think I transcribed correctly, and I didn’t complete it. I had the Emperor’s March as my mobile phone’s ring tone many years ago, before polyphony and mp3 ring tones, so I always use it for things like this…

From the contest page:

We’re there only three entrants that made the deadline? Looks like that’s the case from this thread.

Yeah we are trying to see what we can do with 3 entries.

Split the prize as a “thanks for entering” gift? I don’t need another Hydra, but do have my eye on a couple modules. Personally, I don’t place much value in “being #1”. It’s more about the learning opportunity.

@ Architect, @ Errol, whaddaya think?

Maybe when you do make a piezo w/IC module, you can silkscreen “inspired by three great guys” on the back ;D

That was one of the options but there is also some great work that can benefit the community. Let us think and I am sure no one will be disappointed.

Hey !

It must have been 4 entries or more. I did submit too. However my entry is not 100% complete.

Anyways you three did a great and my personal fav. is Errol’s module.

Great job guys !

Whatever is fine by me. I am doing rerouting of my module and will make a few. I want to try smd piezo too.

@ Architect

You need a special award for the DaisyLink. I am waiting for the wiki page.

Very well done.

@ Rajesh

Thank you! Working on it. :slight_smile:

@ rajesh - thanks for posting the pic. What did you use for an IC? I thought there was more like 5 or 6 solid contenders based on an email that Gus had sent awhile ago without hiding the recipients :wink:

I used a 16F88. However I ran into a problem with the PIC refusing to work if I unhooked the MPLAB ICD2.

I ran into too many problems and not enough time to solve them. I knew you guys would deliver something great for Gus, so I didn’t bother trying to slim it down just to submit something. You all certainly delivered and are winners in my book. I feel sorry for Gus if he decides to pick a winner.

@ ransomhall

Split would be better than canceling the competition. And if split then I can at least get a Hyrda. :slight_smile: But no LCD. :cry:

I’m recently wed, and buying expensive hobby stuff like $200 worth of Hydra/modules is frowned upon, but buying it with a coupon is OK… :slight_smile: Hence entering the competition… :-[

@ Architect

I bought some SMD piezos too, which was cheap, but not as cheap as the one I used in the competition. I like them though as they are really flat(1/16"), nice for fitting under a battery or between boards…

:-[ :-[ :-[

Seriously ran out of time, and no local supply of options for piezos that were worthy of more than one-off devices meant I pulled the pin early. Even the extra time meant I only got to the stage of tinkering with code (atmega32 based, hadn’t decided on final chip selection)