FEZ Hydra test firmware

What does that mean ? (I’m not familiar with such expressions)

Sorry, it was a joke. In the U.S., we say “it’s a bit of a stretch/reach” to mean that in in a very imaginative way something could be interpreted to mean something else. Since you said it could be used as an “extender cable” then I thought it a bit humorous in this occasion to use this phrase since “extender” and “reach” are basically synonyms in this case and you would essentially be using $7 in parts to accomplish what a $2 longer cable could accomplish. No offense intended in any way.

You wouldn’t buy $7 parts to power the board but these are parts you already have so the cost is $0 :slight_smile:

This is the whole idea from using the same cable for everything, including power.

Agreed :slight_smile:

Is someone looking into my issues in Reply 34? Please let me know if these are real issues or if I’m just doing something I shouldn’t be doing. Thanks.

[quote]Pin #4 of socket #4 doesn’t appear to work as DigitalOutput when using an Extender module. I tried the following on two separate Extender modules. Worked fine in socket #7 but not in socket #4. I used an LED to confirm.
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. Pin 4 on socket 4 was not set to the right pin. This will be fixed in the next update.

Will this be a software fix or will it require a hardware fix? Did you try socket #8? I think something may be crossed there also.

Also, I’m still having the problem with all of my USB type modules no longer appearing in the Toolbox in VS2010. Any ideas? Otherwise, I guess my next step is to try and re-install the SDK.

Yes I’m sorry. I forgot to include that. 8 is also fixed. If you find anymore let me know. Its really easy to get these wrong.

And as far as the designer toolbox, I’m not really sure. I haven’t experienced it, but I will see if i can get mine to do the same.

@ Gus,

Sorry for the delay, but I’ve finally caught my breath after family visits for Thanksgiving, and have had the chance to update my Hydra with the new firmware.

I have the SD card module, so I used that technique for clearing the board, and it worked a treat. Firmware update went pretty smoothly, though I did have some issues with the log file being locked (my fault, as I didn’t follow the instructions closely enough on the first try, and omitted the COM port info).

I first tried to update an existing gadgeteer project, by removing the FEZ Spider from the designer and replacing it with the Hydra, but that didn’t seem to work very well, so I created a new project as a duplicate for the Hydra, using the Button module, and two Multicolor LED modules daisy chained.

I initially connected the button to socket 4, and the MLEDs to socket 8, but based on Steven’s discussion with Ian, it sounds like those sockets have some issues with incorrect pin assignments. So I moved the button to socket 5 and the MLEDs to socket 7, and the project is working. Here’s the code:

Program.cs:

using System;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Presentation;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Presentation.Controls;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Presentation.Media;

using GT = Gadgeteer;
using GTM = Gadgeteer.Modules;
using Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics;

namespace HydraFirstTest
{
    public partial class Program
    {
        void ProgramStarted()
        {
            button.ButtonPressed += new Button.ButtonEventHandler(button_ButtonPressed);
        }

bool _ledsOn = false;
        void button_ButtonPressed(Button sender, Button.ButtonState state)
        {
            sender.ToggleLED();
            TimeSpan ts = new TimeSpan(5000000);
            if (_ledsOn)
            {
                led.TurnOff();
                led1.TurnOff();
            }
            else
            {
                led.FadeRepeatedly(GT.Color.Red, ts, GT.Color.Blue, ts);
                led1.FadeRepeatedly(GT.Color.Blue, ts, GT.Color.Red, ts);
            }
            _ledsOn = !_ledsOn;
        }
    }
}

I am seeing some warning messages, as shown below:

Invalid address 203005a0 and range 4 Ram Start 31000000, Ram end 35000000
Invalid address 20300600 and range 4 Ram Start 31000000, Ram end 35000000
The thread ‘’ (0x2) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
Using mainboard GHIElectronics-FEZHydra version 1.0
Invalid address 20307500 and range 4 Ram Start 31000000, Ram end 35000000
Program Started
Invalid address 2030a2cc and range 4 Ram Start 31000000, Ram end 35000000

Let me know if I can provide any additional info on the warnings above to help troubleshoot.

Excited to have this (mostly) working! :slight_smile:

Also, I was very pleased to see that the build date on the firmware just happened to be my birthday. :wink:

There is a bug in the designer that was just fixed. We will update everything very soon.

Designer only adds DLLs but doesn’t remove them where it should.

Happy birthday :slight_smile:

BTW, today is my birthday! GHI employees get their birthday off work so I am suppose to be chilling now not working! :wall: but then who will finish FEZ Cerberus :stuck_out_tongue:

Happy Birthday to both of you!

Mine is tomorrow. :smiley:

Happy birthday to you all!!!

Mine is on the day the piezo contest entries are due… :wink: :wink: :wink:

Happy Birthday to the 3 of you!

Mine’s not til June; which gives me 2 reasons to want summer back.

Here’s a birthday treat for you; we should the first one in stock in a week or two with 20 production models by end of year. And more surprises to come.

This is a statistically improbable coincidence… my birthday was Sunday. Maybe we could form a new fraternal order of the Sagittarian Fezzers :slight_smile:

Nice! A 6 button gadgeteer module!

Oooh! I think I’d call it a SNES Controller module :wink:

I think I would add one more mounting hole. I feel some “torqueage” going on when you press that bottom left (top left thumb) button repeatedly.

Interesting, I would like to talk to you about that.

You’ve got my email. :wink: thom at my username dotty com.

@ ransomhall

No Sagittarian here…I’m a Scorpio, though I don’t really hold with astrology.

Funny to have so many birthdays clustered, but not statistically improbable, since birth dates don’t really have to be randomly distributed (many factors can skew birthdates, including major blackouts, weather incidents, etc.) :slight_smile:

We actually have a bunch of November birthdays in my family including my late father’s wife’s birthday, my sister’s birthday, my youngest son’s, and my birthday all fall within an 8-day window. Makes for a busy pre-Thanksgiving week.

@ skewworks Looks nice…can’t wait to see it in action!