FEZ Hydra test firmware

FEZ Hydra firmware is finally here but for testing purposes only. Please read this page (which also directs you to the firmware update page) GHI Electronics – Where Hardware Meets Software

The all new GHI OSH SDK v4.1 is here http://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/NETMF/Beta/GHI%20OSH%20NETMF%20v4.1.zip

The updated Gadgeter SDK (Still beta) is here http://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/NETMF/Beta/GHI%20.Net%20Gadgeteer%20SDK%20v1.1.0.zip

Please give it a try and let us know what you find ASAP. This should have the button and LED fixes if you have FEZ Spider.

Edit: new release us up and this thread is locked.

All design files (hardware/software) are published. The wiki above explains it all.

Beta testers, please help! Can you everyone who has hydra confirm back to this post if they have updated the firmware and they are able to use it with some modules?

This should work fine GPIO, SPI, UART, PWM, Analog. Note that the OSH library include the pin numbers now, like PA3, PB7…etc. http://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/NETMF/OSH%20Library%20Documentation/Index.html

What will not work is:

1. touch screen
  2. I2C but none of the modules use it. (socket I)
  3. Ethernet ENC28 module & TCP/IP
  4. SD card & file system

Also, can someone try to build the software and let us know if we missed some files?

Will the new SDKs work side-by-side with FEZ Spider (and/or are they compatible)?

Not only compatible, it is a requirement:)

Good question.

WOOOHOOOO!!!

Yay!!! I just got called into work… BOOOO!!!

Gus. Should I load the new firmware and put back JMP1?

Boy am I glad I got the SD card module; I would’ve gone crazy if there were a new firmware and I couldn’t load it.

@ Mike

Leave JMP1 alone. Load the firmware on a SD card, pop in and boot.

Oh No! Gus I’m getting failures all over the place here.

I updated the firmware first off. :wink:

Attached SD module (with or without card) and get
"An unhandled exception of type ‘System.Exception’ occurred in Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.dll"

happens on: sdCard = new GTM.GHIElectronics.SDCard(8);
I have double checked I do have it plugged into the right socket.

A first chance exception of type ‘Gadgeteer.Socket.InvalidSocketException’ occurred in GTM.GHIElectronics.SDCard.dll
Invalid address 20300570 and range 4 Ram Start 31000000, Ram end 35000000
Invalid address 203005d0 and range 4 Ram Start 31000000, Ram end 35000000
#### Exception System.Exception - CLR_E_DRIVER_NOT_REGISTERED (2) ####
#### Message:
#### Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.NativeEventDispatcher::.ctor [IP: 0000] ####
#### GHIElectronics.NETMF.System.InternalEvent::.cctor [IP: 0014] ####

I get a similar fail on buttons. I lets me proceed w/ button but then the second I press it and trigger the interrupt " Invalid address 20308d84 and range 4 Ram Start 31000000, Ram end 35000000" and everything stops.

Did you update to the new SDK as well?

Yes. I can try re-updating it. Maybe a reboot.

UPDATE: Reboot seems to have worked; at least for button will test the rest. Might want to add reboot machine to install directions :wink:

@ skewworks you get spot errors!?? You are loading on SD to erase the device. As for firmware, it is far from complete. It doesn’t have SD drivers for example.

@ mike leave the jumper in and follow the steps please.

@ Gus, not since reboot. Everything seems fine now. I’m running Windows 7; I shouldn’t have to reboot after installs anymore :wall: What is this 1995?

Beta testers, please help! Can you everyone who has hydra confirm back to this post if they have updated the firmware and they are able to use it with some modules?

This should work fine GPIO, SPI, UART, PWM, Analog. Note that the OSH library include the pin numbers now, like PA3, PB7…etc. http://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/NETMF/OSH%20Library%20Documentation/Index.html

What will not work is:

1. touch screen
  2. I2C but none of the modules use it. (socket I)
  3. Ethernet ENC28 module & TCP/IP
  4. SD card & file system

Also, can someone try to build the software and let us know if we missed some files?

You just ruined the rest of my week… So, there’s no way to get the firmware on w/o having the SD card module? Wish we had been warned of this a week ago.

No need for SD card, you have 2 options:

1. Place a wire between MISO and GND then power up the board, wait 5 seconds and remove the wire. Do NOT leave the wire there for more than 5 seconds.

2. Remove JMP1 jumper (solder) power up the board then solder it back while the board is running adn you see COM port on device manager.

I will update the wiki with this info

Thx! If I ever get to leave the office, I’ll give it a try.

PASS:
Button
Joystick
LCD (Draw)

FAIL:
Joystick Position returns the same values forever
LCD (Touch)

I will try as soon as I can. I might not be able to get to it soon though. :frowning: