FEZ Hydra not responding

I just got my new FEZ Hydra (yay!).

But then after playing with it for a while, it just suddenly blanked out during a Visual Studio deployment. Since then, when I power it up, it should blank white screen on the LCD, and then, the LED refuses to blink like it did when I first powered it up. All these happened within 30 minutes of the first power.

I’m really new to NETMF, infact FEZ Hydra happens to be my first device. So I’d appreciate any help form anyone especially GHI.

Thanks.

There was a problem related to hydra locking up when using a powerful pc. See another post on this forum starting with “QUESTION”.

This is fixed

Thanks for the reply.

pls can you point me in the right direction. I have tried searching for the topic with no luck now. pls post a link

@ francis

Here is the link to the issue: http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/21/5470/

Okay thanks. I just read the whole topic thread. At the end, Gus promised to post an official link of the firmware, can’t find the link.

I’m still testing with the one provided on there.

A lil question tho, as regards erasing the flash using the port 3 method, i’m not enitre certain of what I’m expected to do here, especially as related to the JMP1 jumper. Pls explain further. I’m new.

I promised the fix yesterday…well, we need more than a day to generate an SDK :slight_smile:

It will be sometime next week.

Oh! Didn’t notice that. Next week? Sure. Would be waiting.

Then about erasing the flash as regards the port 3 method, please help.

Then I was also wondering if there was anyway xbees can do the flashing trick using terminal softwares like tera term. In my own case, I think it would help better as against the SD card module (which I dont have), and the port 3 method (which I do not understand).

What do you think?

There are three ways to erase the board; SD, socket 3 and JMP1.

The easiest way is the SD card. Once you have a formatted SD card of <=2GB, and load the erase program, just power up and you are set.

The socket method is done by attaching a wire between pin 8 of socket 3 and the ground which is pin 10, resetting the device and then removing the wire after 5 seconds. I don’t like to use a method which warns you not to leave the wire in place for more than 5 seconds. When the device boots, and sees the pin 8 of socket 3 has been grounded, it does the erase.

The third way is to remove the blob of solder shorting out the two pads of JMP1. Power up the device, and while power is still on, put the blob back in place. If you have a steady hand, and a good soldering iron this is not difficult.

If you still do not understand how to use the socket method or the JMP1 method, buy the SD module.

Thanks Mike. So I’ve tried the socket 3 method, and still Windows isn’t recognizing my device, what else could be wrong? Also I noticed that the USB Client SP module keeps heating up, is this normal?

Hi guys. Now I don’t know what to do anymore. Tried everything suggested. What happens now is that, most times Windows doesnt recognize the device. Then, other times, it kinda recognizes it but then, Device Manager window keeps refreshing continuously like it were scanning for hardware changes, or like a new device was constantly being connected, and then disconnected imm

I am sorry this wasn’t clear. There is a bug on USB that causes PCs with high horse power to lock up Hydra. You need the fix next week if this is the issue you are having.

Sorry, here’s what I meant to post:

"Hi guys. Now I don’t know what to do anymore. Tried everything suggested. What happens now is that, most times Windows doesnt recognize the device. Then, other times, it kinda recognizes it but then, Device Manager window keeps refreshing continuously like it were scanning for hardware changes, or like a new device was constantly being connected, and then disconnected immediately.

My guess is that the issue has something to do with the USB Client SP module (which keeps getting really hot), but then, what do I know? Pls help me out here ??? :frowning: "

About the fix. Well, this is what scare me, my PC isn’t able to recognize the device, and Hydra screen keeps showing blank white, On board LED is not blinking nor is it coming on. So if it cannot be recognized, then how am I supposed to apply the fix?

Do not worry about LCD and LED for now. Go here http://wiki.tinyclr.com/index.php?title=Firmware_Update_FEZ_Hydra and do the very first step where you erase the device and windows will see a virtual serial device. Does this work?

Do not go beyond this, you only want to see a new COM port in device manager.

Are you using powered hub? or using power pack with USB DP module?

No, it doesn’t work. I have tried the erasing steps, that is, the socket 3 method. I placed a wire between the 2 leftmost lower row pins on socket 3, which from the schematics should be GND, and MISO (or am I grouding the wrong pins?), but still nothing changed.

And yeah, I’m using the powered hub (USB). So when I plug in the device, Device Manager gets unstable, and does not see a new COM port. It just keeps refreshing.

Keeps refreshing means your boards keeps resetting. I still think it is power problem.

Okay. I see. So what can I do?

And just to be clear, when you mean power problem, do you mean too much voltage/power, or too low voltage. I see the power LED come on, and every other module I connect on the board comes on, only that they are dormant.

I brarely used the device for thirty minutes on first use before it developed this issue. But if it’s a power problem, maybe the heating up of the USB Client SP module might be connected??

What modules do you have attached? Try unplugging everything except the power module and do the Hello Gadgeteer (LED blinky) sample code. If that works try adding your modules back one at a time and running the blinky code again before adding the next module. You’re probably running out of current from having too many modules attached and too small (Amps wise…) a power supply.

@ ianlee

I had tried (and just tried again) starting Hydra with no devices plugged, but still, nothing happens. Even after trying the erase flash techinques, still the same. The only USB port that seems to allow Win to recognize my device is my eSATA port (which I wouldnt know if it’s entirely USB). But then, Device Manager never stops its refresh.
With the LCD connected, the board doesn’t seem to show anything, not even boot messages (like it did when I first powered it on). In short, there have been no improvements at all.

Please I’d also like an answer to why the USB Client SP module suddenly turns very hot after a few mins of it being plugged into the host port on my PC. The right side of the Hydra, around the sockets 6 & 7, also heats up the same way. Is it normal?

(Btw, I use a Dell XPS L502X with Intel Core i7, Win Professional, two SuperSpeed USB ports, one eSATA, if these might help.)

This is not normal. Did you bend any pins by any chance or any other physical damage.