FEZ Hydra not responding

@ Architect

Did you mean to the SP module, or to the board?

Either way, No is the answer. The only thing that I might have adjusted on the board is the JMP1 jumper (which I soldered back correctly) while trying to erase the flash as detailed on the wiki page. But then, this heating had already begun before I tried adjusting the jumper. I tried the jumper trick because the socket method refused to show any results, and I did not possess an SD card module too.

So, looking at the board now, I can’t see any damage of any kind.

Just a reminder, the Hydra worked perfectly barely 30 mins before all these started. The issue begun during a VS deployment, while the Hydra was still on, and still plugged. The LCD slowly faded and blanked out, while the board reset automatically, displayed just plain white on LCD, and couldn’t be recognized again by Win.

You can send back go testing. Contact GHI directly please.

and an eSATA port is NOT a USB port and you should NOT try to plug it in. No wonder device manager keeps refreshing trying to find a device on the end of that !

Is it also possible that eSata is sending power through to the SP board that USB wouldn’t? Do you get the heating when you plug it into just a normal USB port?

eSATA! I didn’t see that.

@ Brett … I think I get that now… I had realised that might be the reason for the device manager refreshes after reading a Wikipedia page on USB. Thanks.

Gus … I would send an email soon to GHI support.

ianlee

Oh yeah, it heats up on my USB ports too. Well for the eSATA sending enough power, I cant tell really. All I know is, first power up was on a USB SS port (USB 3.0). I made no change of ports until I started having these issues, I mean, why change when you’re good with the status quo right?.

So I don’t want it misconceived that maybe it was the eSATA port that caused the problem. No. It had started before I tried my other options. The erasing of the flash, etc were all done on USB ports. Not until after exhausting that option did I change ports, and then eSATA seems to perform some funny recognitions, you know.

I am afraid that using the wrong connection has caused permenamt damage to your fez.

Well, I can’t disagree more.

Like I said, it all happened on a USB port, ie, the black out, the reset, the erase of the flash, the reset, the Windows not recognizing the fez,…etc, all on the same USB port. This went on for hours, before I posted on the forum, and was directed to a similar topic page. Still, didn’t make a difference.

And, I just sent that mail to support.

I don’t think Gus meant that you originally caused the issue, what ever exactly happened there, but I think he meant that because of the eSATA port connection you may have now done extra damage that may have had a larger impact

Fine. Can we move past this? Please?

I’m not really after what/who caused what. If I did, great! Doesn’t change the facts. The Hydra still ‘lived’ for thirty minutes, and now its down. My humble question remains - how can I solve this? You’ve read the “symptoms” and challenges that I faced so to speak. I’ve provided the steps I took so far, and their outcomes. Is there a solution for me?

I’d really appreciate that from anyone right now. Please!

Francis,

Sounds to me like you’ve got a problem with your SP module. You need to contact GHI directly at their support number to work out an RMA. You don’t by chance have access to another red module (maybe a friend?) that you could use to test with?

You did contact GHI directly right? That is all you need to do.

ianlee
No I dont have access to another SP/DP module. And I’ve been thinking that too. Maybe there’s a short somewhere. I noticed that an IC on the SP module heats up first before the others. And then, I had tried looking at the board, comparing the schematic I got from GHI website to the board I have. Though I found some changes, but I guess they should be the same. An example is a capacitor c24 in the schematic, being replaced by two capacitors in parallel (c24 and c16) on my board. I don’t have their values (and well, they are really tiny) but I guess the parallel capacitance should be equivalent to that in the schematic right. But still, I wonder why the c16.

Gus, Yeah I did. Still awaiting a reply though.

You will get a reply but not on weekend :slight_smile:

Lol. Oh yeah. Totally escaped my mind. Do enjoy your weekend (and to all the FEZ heros too). :slight_smile: