FEZ Game-O, an open-source console

GHI Electronics believes in the importance of education and the quality of nurturing future generations. The all new FEZ Game-O is a programmable handheld console that lets developers develop applications using Microsoft Visual Studio with C# and Visual Basic. Developers and students learning how to program on the FEZ Game-O can use the same knowledge to develop applications for computers. Similarly, developers that already know C# and Visual Basic (.NET) already know how to program FEZ Game-O.

Not only is it easy to code but having .NET Micro Framework at its core allows the device to be programmed using just a USB cable. Debugging is also supported over USB, from breakpoints and stepping in code to inspecting variables and invoking commands.

We made FEZ Game-O even more awesome by making it all open source! Advanced users can show off their skills by tweaking the core software and even connect JTAG to run native software, using their favorite IDE or even use GCC with command line. We also invite the entire community to continue this open platform and write open source applications and games.

The core of FEZ Game-O is a 32-bit 168Mhz Cortex-M4 processor, STM32F407. This powerful little microcontroller is capable of running all kinds of arcade games and even a software 3D rendering. Advanced users can take advantage of the RLP feature, which allows native code to be invoked from within C# or Visual Basic.

FEZ Game-O is a hacker-friendly device. We want you to open it! Inside, you will find a MicroSD socket, a placement to solder a Bluetooth module (not included) and few IOs. We did not forget about JTAG/SWD and kept it available.

We are releasing FEZ Game-O on Kickstarter, a crowdfunding platform. You can pledge to help us out and be among the very first people to receive one of the best educational tools available, FEZ Game-O. Coding will be more fun than ever before!

Kickstarter campaign: Open-source programmable hand-held console, FEZ Game-O by GHI Electronics, LLC — Kickstarter
.NET Micro Framework: https://www.ghielectronics.com/technologies/.net-micro-framework
FEZ Game-O: https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/448

5 Likes

Pledged

2 Likes

@ Architect - Thank you! :slight_smile:

@ Architect - Surely with your name in Pink you should have gone for a different option :whistle:

1 Like

Ha-ha, right.

Backed. In black. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ devhammer - Thank you! :slight_smile:

Black costs $20 more than white? Really??

@ ddurant - Black and pink are the limited edition colors. If you look at the available amounts, we aren’t releasing nearly as many black and pink as we are white.

Backed in black!

I just noticed something about this that I really do not like, however. From the third picture above, it looks like the GameO uses a custom USB cable instead of a standard micro or even mini USB port on the device end? WHY??? I don’t need another cable on my desk.

2 Likes

@ ianlee74 - Thank you! :slight_smile:

That’s one of the possible design changes we have been looking into based upon the interest in FEZ Game-O. (no promises :slight_smile: )

As constructive criticism, that sorta leaves a bad taste in my mouth… A “limited edition” tag might be warranted if it was zebra striped or signed by Gus or… or… something. Asking $20 more just to get it in black is kinda weak. IMO, sounds more like marketing and less like a project trying to get off the ground.

Just IMO - please feel free to ignore it…

Any chance on adding a game-o + tshirt level?

Also, if you get to the point where you’re looking at stretch goals, BT or NFC or some such would be awesome for this kind of device. Even if it was just some depopulated bits on the board that people could add later…

Signed up for a white.

1 Like

@ Mike - Thank You! :slight_smile:

@ ddurant - you can get both, did you try it?

And thanks for the feedback.

@ ddurant - That’s not a bad idea to have the boss sign them, I will add that to my list of things to talk about. And an additional reward combining the Game-O and t-shirt has come up. We just haven’t come to decision yet.

We have thought about stretch goals but we haven’t made a final decision so I don’t want to say anything yet. :wink:

You sure about that? Kickstarter has never allowed me to select multiple rewards before…

edit: and yes, I did try anyway…

Usually it is done by “upping” the pledge amount with whatever the other reward costs. And it is all sorted out at the end when a survey sent to verify who pledged for what.

I am in for White in August. Kickstarter does not allow you to select multiple rewards.

1 Like

@ ddurant - I just looked at the dashboard and it shows you pledged $105.