FEZ Cerberus and FEZ Cerb40, small low-cost open source .NET Gadgeteer mainboards

someone could tweak the duinoproto board pretty quickly to do just that…

[long pause]

done yet?

I’ll see what I can do tomorrow if noone has yet by then. All you really need is to break out the IO, add power regulation, a couple switches, and an LED.

Come to think of it, a “Cerberus prototyping platform” could come in handy. IO broken out to female headers, reset button, 5V and 3V3 power regulation (or not… anything I do that the USB won’t handle I use an ATX power supply for, and it’s got PLENTY of 5v and 3V3), and a ZIF socket for Cerb40 modules!

Didn’t Gus hint at a Domino class replacement a little while ago?

Maybe I’m confusing that with these new boards.

I never had a Domino, but it seems to me that Domino was simply USBizi144 with both USB host and USB device connectors.

It’s not clear to me whether the STM32 can support both at the same time, but if it can, then it’s simply a matter of designing the board to mount the Cerb40 module on…

@ godefroi - Exactly! (for a cerb40) My Eagle skills are improving, but I’m sure you could whip something up much faster than I. I would be happy to do a Laen PCB order and put together a few kits with a zif socket, 3.3V regulator, buttons, leds, whatever…

This would also make a great test rig for someone deploying a bunch of these boards. I’ve got a project that will hopefully end up doing just that (everybody’s gonna want one 8)), so will need to get a bunch of crystals and regulators regardless.

In fact, you just reminded me. The STM32 can actually run solely on internal oscillators. There’s HSI (high speed internal) and LSI (low speed internal) oscillators that can be used to clock the CPU and RTC (as well as the various peripherals. It’s not highly accurate (says the datasheet), but it can work (if you’re not doing anything that requires accurate clocks, such as USB, UART, or the like).

I guess the only ABSOLUTELY necessary external components are a few decoupling caps?

Good Job,
Now, it is harder to choose the product.
Should change my ordering plan.

Active power consumption TBD
What “TBD” is?

To be defined

We will upload it to the gadgeteer codeplex and then it is up to Microsoft to include in the PK. Either way, you can use the port, on cerberus, cerb40, cer… and on STM32F4 discovery board!

For the FEZ Cerb40
Its seems that we can’t use it directly like FEZ mini.
do we need extra circuit ?
May the wiki will teach how to add and solder the extra components in the future?

Did anyone else see that and go “wha???!!!”

Gus, spill the beans !

In the video you mention that the Cerberus doesn’t have the video out.

However the Hydra & Spider can drive the touchscreen, correct?

What are you looking to see?

I am sure someone will make us a video on soldering the pins and then how to breadboard it then add the video to the Cerb40 wiki page…hint hint anyone :slight_smile:

Do you guys know that you can solder the pins on the front side instead of the back? I actually prefer this myself as it will leave the side with the pin marking on top.

Correct. You can used OLED module with Cerberus.

Both have RGB sockets yes.

Looks like good work you guys always surprise me.

Hey, you ship mine Priority or Express instead of first-class, and I’ll see what I can do about a video. I’ve got my headers right here, ready to go :slight_smile:

Another question, will the Cerberus support WiFi?

The module on the catalog says “Easily add WiFi to your FEZ Spider”.

If not, could you WiFi with the XBee module?

Two thumbs up and order placed. I’m telling everyone I see at the MVP Summit about Gadgeteer. This stuff is additively fun and with new mainboards and modules, the only limit is your creativity, my inner child has busted free playing with this stuff.